1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier Interview on Gameplayer

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

Aussie gaming site GamePlayer has posted up a 3-page interview with Sid Meier where he talks about Civilization Revolution, in particular how the multiplayer will play out. Below is an excerpt:

Thanks to Chris for the news tip.

2. tempacc

tempacc Chieftain

Compare with the article I reported here from June 2007 - only half a year ago.

3. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

Just to comment on that excerpt. Surely we already have the best multiplayer gamplay EVER? :) I understand the need to hype it up for console gamers though. (Especially those that aren't Civvers elsewhere!)

This seems it's going to get longetivity because of Live multiplayer, which I dont' really use my console for. Hmm...might not get it. :\

4. tempacc

tempacc Chieftain

Another comment - online multiplayer has been available much longer on PCs than on consoles. All of the things they intend to do on XBox Live could have been done for Civ IV on PC. I do not understand why they are treating online multiplayer as a "new" experience, and are all excited about all the features they intend to have for XBox Live (such as "game of the week", player profiles with pictures, downloadable content, online high-scores, etc) when the same could be achieved on the PC.

5. J-man

J-man Deity

There is one thing that will make the mp experience of Civ Rev better then Civ 4 and that is no gamespy!

6. botski

botski Chieftain

I couldn't get past the word "leveraging".

7. politude

politude Chieftain

better have online for the wii if i get one more game that comes semi-done fro the wii im gonna kill osmebody

8. seelk

seelk Chieftain

Good Lord!

9. azuil

azuil Chieftain

Osmebody should watch his back then...
    Could somebody warn osmebody?

10. Smidlee

Smidlee Deity

I wonder if the "game of a week" is only for X-box Live as I'm one gamer who refuses to pay for Live.

11. Lord Foortwenti

Lord Foortwenti Chieftain

This isn't a hard question to answer....

The reason they are treating it differently, and as something new, is b/c it is a paid service and they plan to milk the hell out of it w/ micro-transactions.

When you get right down to it, XBOX-live and "Games For Windows Live" ( :rolleyes: ) are nothing more then the same exact features and systems that we PC-gamers have been enjoying, gratis, for years. The main difference though is that Microsoft saw the opportunity to implement a closed network for it's consoles, and to charge gamers for these things.

12. Kristian95

Kristian95 Dr. Minion

let's just hope that some of this revenue will be channelled into more patches for the PC version as well :)

13. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

We can dream. But the fact is the console games are outselling the same PC title like 10 to 1 and there is no money in patches. I think Bhuric may end up being the patcher for Civ4 which isn't a bad thing.

14. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

YA I agree hes a great modder but what your saying to me is that we need to rely on mods for better improvemnt. This makes sence. Civ2 modding was not much. With Civ3 vannila it started to get more active. PtW more an more become familiar with the term, then Conquests improved editer made mods a household name.

ON we go Bring it to civ4 by now civ3 has evolved beatifully, Not unnoticed by its creators, modding is advertised as a selling point for the first time.

Warlords arrives and moddin spikes up even more as Blakes AI mod and Dales Combat mod are started to be called 'patches'. BTS comes would later adds these mods to the main frame, thus further blurrin the line between pro patches and amatuer content. Today is been shown the mod you see pop up an the C+C today can be merged into the product by paid programmers tommorow, nice for this site by giving the impression store bought quality improvements can be had here free.

They are tryin to tell us that modabilty x this forum = all the the patch support we will ever need.. IT makes sence the ones who care enough, the biggest fans who come here get qualty improvements and stay happy. The ones who don't show up here can't be that loyal ones and like some say, are used to disposable gaming . They got their money from em and will get in again with a new ad campaign not patches

15. JohnYoga

JohnYoga Prince

Who ever wants to pay for Xbox Live? Makes no sense.

Port this to PS3, and maybe we will play it.

Doing Civ4 as a multiplayer game is like a bunch of guys who bring their turtles to race against each other...A very slow game. The family MPs over the miles, and boy is it slow...even if you pop on a timer.

Oh, and will Civ4 still have Out of Sync issues on Xbox like it has on the PC? LOL

JohnYoga

16. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Even more humbug than office pics:nuke: