1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier Interview on GamersGlobal

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Feb 2, 2008.

1. NYHunter

NYHunter King

Exactly. I am pretty sure Civ IV was announced sometime late in 2003. And it didn't come until Fall of 2005.

2. Chris85

Chris85 Emperor

Now if we replace the word Colonization with Alpha Centauri I'll call it good. :p

That was a pretty good interview. Sid's interest in making an MMO sounds intriguing. :hmm:

My opinion: Civ5 = Fall 2010

3. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

http://kotaku.com/352557/this-is-why-civilization-revolution-on-wii-was-canned

There's your explanation.

4. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I (and a lot of others) cant access gaming sites form work, so I'd really appreciate if someone could C&P this for us...

Would really appreciate it and it shouldnt take more than 2 mins...

5. Shigga

Shigga Shiggadelic Baby! :)

Own, yes (PS2). Pwn, not really. Except for singstar ;)

6. xerexs

xerexs Chieftain

You know how you said they should change colonization to alphacenturi well doesent ea games own it?

7. Rub'Rum

Rub'Rum Hates acronyms

I bought a really powerful computer just a few months ago, I consequently can assure you that Civ V will make it a point to come out in just long enough so that my computer won't be able to run it properly. I think this should happen with new games in late 2009 early 2010.

8. Padma

Padma the Inbond Administrator Supporter

It's so short it's hard to quote without posting the entire thing, which is technically against copyright rules.

The gist is, they haven't got the time or resources to do the wii-compatible artwork, and to rewrite the code to work on the wii. OTOH, if the 360/PS3/DS versions sell well, they can probably get those needed resources....

9. Willem

Willem Deity

The Wii version will still need it's own graphics and interface etc. Only the game core will be interchangeable, everything else will have to be customized.

10. MarkM

MarkM Cow Herder

Wow. thanks. It sounds like they would have produced a really crappy port that wouldn't have taken advantage of the Wii's unique controls anyway. So it sounds like they saved me from wasting money buying their game. I don't have a 360 or playstation, just a wii, so I guess I'm not buying their game then.

11. Aneurism

Aneurism Prince

I would be happy with another Civ4 expansion in the next 18 months and Civ5 in the next 2-3 years. A civ4 expansion that included filling out the navy units a bit would be nice.

12. mourndraken

mourndraken King

I'm very happy with the Civ4 collection I own.

It seems that the time period Civ3 was a growing concern was a lot longer and a better investment. My brother bought me the warlords expansion pack. I didn't own civ4. when I went to go and buy it, civ4 was a thing of the past so I had to buy civilzation gold edition that included warlords. I bought BTS when it came out. Now because I'm a civ fanatic, I'll probably buy civ5 but I'm hating getting hit up to purchase new products.

It's just not the expansion packs that I needed. I needed to buy a new computer to run Civ4.

Civ5 needs to move away from square tiles and move into a hexagon shaped tile. Civ5 has to be sold to me because I can use the money for a multitude of other things.

13. Willem

Willem Deity

Yes, EA owns the rights to Alpha Centauri and Atari owns Colonization. So it's unlikely we'll see sequels to either one.

14. Sub

Sub in omnia paratus

How did EA get Alpha Centauri?

15. dutchking

dutchking Deity

:love:
    I'm pissed that they "unofficially cancelled" the Wii version. That's bull.

16. tank79

tank79 Chieftain

Let's get the gears moving on making that CIV 5!!! I want it now!! I think creating a tech tree that goes into SCI FI techs would be cool. Instead of just getting some mysterious "future tech" at the end of the game, you should be able to get really cool weapons like MECHs and plasma canons, etc. There are so many ways to improve on Civ 4, forget the modding crap. Let's make a new and better game, one that Gamespy actually works all the time on. No more sitting around in the lobby trying to host or join a game for goodness sake!!!!

17. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

I agree tank, and if you want to see other peoples suggestions for it try the suggestions subforum on the Civ 4 section.

18. VirtualMark

VirtualMark Chieftain

"We’re doing a DS version, and the gameplay is exactly the same as on the 360 and PS3" - i personally think that this sucks! That means that my 360 with its triple core cpu will be running the same game as a nintendo ds, which probably hasn't got 1/10th the processing power. I'd like to see civ running more complex scenarios, have the AI more realistic, maybe have different things added in. With each version of civ they added something new. I.E in civ 3 they added culture, in civ 4 religion. Possibly to take advantage of newer cpu's. The xbox 360 and ps3 both have powerful cpu's, i think its totally stupid that they will be running the same game thats on a handheld.

On the plus side, at least the game should run pretty fast with massive maps.

19. tank79

tank79 Chieftain

Not gonna be massive maps either

20. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Haha, yeah, seems like that always happens with Civ for me. Neither CivIII nor CivIV ran properly on the computer I had when I bought them, and it wouldn't surprise me if that happened with the next iteration as well. On the other hand, if that means waiting until all the expansions come out to buy it, at least it won't seem like the step back it does when you buy the vanilla of the new version after having the complete of the old version.

Given the time between CivIII and CivIV, and the comment that something else will be said later this year, I'd guess around Q4 2009 for the next iteration. CivIII was October 2001 and CivIV was October 2005; if they announce it late this year Q4 2009 would be about right for a release.