1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier on CivWorld: CNN

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Camikaze, May 10, 2011.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

An article was published by CNN in which Sid Meier talks about 'Civilization World', the facebook Civilization game.

--> Link.
    Summary:
    • Developers hope to have CivWorld up and running in the few months ("this summer").
    • Meier- "We really weren't looking to make a quote-unquote 'Facebook game'. We were looking at what does Facebook bring us that is unique, that we can leverage and take advantage of with 'Civilization'-style game play."
    • Co-operative focus is key, and the pacing of the game is radically different to PC iterations of Civilization.

Discussion thread here, and thanks to Civrules and MeteorPunch for the news tip. :thumbsup:

2. paraszgyerek

paraszgyerek Chieftain

I don't really think that one game so complex like Civ can really be forced into a 5-minutes-flash-game.
    On the other hand, the many old full version "boxgames" are now able to push into a flash-box; and in Civ we don't really care about DX11 explosions...

Anyway it's gonna be a very hard task to find balance between FB-flash simplicity and the CIV complexity...

3. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

I got a hard time imagining how they'll allow people to play at diffrent times of a day.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Yeah, I can't play this. :(

Very good decision. :clap:

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Well, it's a spin-off. I wouldn't expect anywhere near the kind of complexity you'll find in Civ2, Civ3, Civ4 or even Civ5. Rather than Civ with a Facebook flavour, expect a Facebook game with Civ flavour.

6. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

The reason Im keeping my facebook account, if its no good, I'm deleting it.

7. BSPollux

BSPollux Deity

Once you made the mistake of creating a facebook account theres no need to delete it. Your faith is sealed.

8. turingmachine

turingmachine Emperor

9. Leif Roar

Leif Roar Warlord

While I admire Sid Meier and his body of work and think he's had a large impact and influence on the history of computer games, it's pretty silly to call him "the Father of Computer Gaming."