Sid Meier to Give Keynote at GDC 2010

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
At the upcoming Game Developers Conference in March, Firaxis' Director of Creative Development, Sid Meier, will give the keynote address. Entitled "The Psychology of Game Design (Everything You Know Is Wrong)", Meier's speech will focus on the need to always keep in mind a game's audience and "the psychology of the player".

Here is an excerpt from the overview of the keynote address:

"Gameplay is a psychological experience: it's all in your head. The vagaries of human psychology define your game more than the laws of physics or algebra. Egomania, Paranoia, Delusion - these are tools to be wielded with precision and care. For the player, perception is reality and the center of the universe is right here. As we follow this reasoning to its logical conclusion we discover a number of amazing things, among them: everyone is above average, 2/1 is not equal to 20/10, and the player is his/her own worst enemy."

You can also view a list of the many speakers and events at the conference on this page. Joining Sid Meier at GDC will be fellow Firaxians Seth Spaulding (leading an "Art Director/Lead Artist Roundtable") and Greg Foertsch (part of an event called "Industry and Academia: In Search of the Love").

Yay!

Next: announce something...

(oh, i'm sorry, don't want to sound like a pessimist)

I assume this is addressing game developers mainly, and that makes me wonder; what game developer would take advice from a facebook-app-developer? :mischief:

"the psychology of the player".

Why does that reminds me of Attacko ;)?

So, basically, he's giving them tips on how to make us game junkies. Oh wait! That's already happened! it was [civ3], then [ptw], then [c3c]...

That sounds interesting to me. I'd like to read the whole keynote address in March.

Cool, sounds like Sid is still making games.

Kind of sounds evil though. Like gamers are morons being abused by cynical game developers. Guess that IS the reality though. :)

Top Bottom