Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Civilization be does get my mind off of international games . This be seems like the mars mission that NASA is doing for 2018. Once the mission is ready in 2018, spaceships will be launched every 2 years to Mars. As for the video that has rockets leaving from other cities such as new York, not a problem. NASA in Houston was one of the first people with the space program and then other cities started copying.

Not having played CivRev, can anybody fill me in how exactly the asymmetric balance was done?

I second this. Any answers?

Also to whomever it was that asked what SMAC stands for it stands for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. There is also it's expansion Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire usually abbreviated to SMAX.

Brazilian led/influenced south american faction is very probably in.

It's possible. Brazilian politicians have talked about launching a space program so who knows?

But another possibility is that they will scrap the nationalities alltogether and go with other types of organizations. One of the main benefits of that would be that it would be easier for the devs to make 8 unique factions. Looking at those countries in my list I don't see a lot of variety. China and Russia are very close ideologically - just as the USA and the EU are close. Going with countries would be realistic, but wont necessarly make the game more fun.

Less likely:
-Brazil
-India
-Israel
-Pakistan

...based on government spending and space presence

As well as Brazil, India is likely to be in too. They are in the middle of a space race with China after all, they should be right up there.

Israel and Pakistan would be safe to rule out I would think.

I could see Nigeria sneaking in as an African faction too, seeing as they've just taken over as the largest economy in Africa.

As for what "civs" we are going to get to play - these are my guesses.

Very likely:
-United States of America
-European Union
-Russian Federation
-People's Republic of China
-Japan
-South Korea
-Iran

Less likely:
-Brazil
-India
-Israel
-Pakistan

...based on government spending and space presence

We are 99% sure Brazil (or a substitute) is in, and they likely wouldn't ignore India, so the list will probably be more like this:

*USA/equivalent
*EU/ESA/equivalent
*Brazil/equivalent
*Arab League/equivalent
*India
*The "Pan Asian League" (only faction absolutely confirmed to be in so far; probably the equivalent of Japan, Korea, and some Southeast Asian nations.)
*Russia/equivalent
*China (if not in "Pan Asian League")/equivalent

But another possibility is that they will scrap the nationalities alltogether and go with other types of organizations. One of the main benefits of that would be that it would be easier for the devs to make 8 unique factions. Looking at those countries in my list I don't see a lot of variety. China and Russia are very close ideologically - just as the USA and the EU are close. Going with countries would be realistic, but wont necessarly make the game more fun.

I wouldn't say China and Russia are close ideologically. The same with EU and USA.

If we really had to make civs in BE based on real civs I would create...

New Russian Empire- similar to Spartans from Centauri, hard guys difficult to kill, strong rule of Space Tzar :p

European Federation - eco - tolerant boys :D who love messing with cloning in vitro genome etc

United American Church - USA taken by christian fundamentalists and creationists :p

Sinnic League - super technology and mechs!

United States of South America - human purity and culture

Greater India Movement - transcendentalissts, want to unite with everything

Second Great Caliphate - new golden era of Islam, arts and technology :mischief: especially terraforming [wanna create new Eden]

New Panafrican Corporation - materialists, resources, exploitation.

Hopefully the game tries to approach the level of writing the original had. I believe Brian Reynolds studied philosophy in college which is why it ended up being as detailed as it was. It would be nice if one of the new leads had done the same!

I wouldn't want just a generic sci-fi wargame. They've got an opportunity to reset the bar here.

This is going to be a bane on Pandora: First Contact though, even though I haven't played it.

I think my favorite thing about the game is that I can pretend that all my games take place in the same universe, but different planets.

(If I ignore the leaders of course).

This whole "spiritual successor" business reminds me of how "call to power" was the 'other' sequel to civilization 2. this makes me wonder if this new game might inspire EA to make their own sequel to AC...

this makes me wonder if this new game might inspire EA to make their own sequel to AC...
EA doesn't have a studio with a proven track record of making good strategy games, though, if you look at their strategy page, you'll see stuff like "Plants vs. Zombies", "Madden NFL 13 Social for Facebook" and "Worms for Android". Also, keeping in mind the last revered franchise they revived (Dungeon Keeper), I wouldn't be inspired by confidence...

It seems like one of his favourite things here is the asymmetric balance. Considering that they want to develop three very distinct play styles, this might be good/interesting. Not having played CivRev, can anybody fill me in how exactly the asymmetric balance was done?

Giving each civ different bonuses in each era?

*drools* a modern alpha centauri i cant wait but did they use cash on alpha centauri?..lol .. beam me up firaxis

ea doesn't have a studio with a proven track record of making good strategy games, though, if you look at their strategy page, you'll see stuff like "plants vs. Zombies", "madden nfl 13 social for facebook" and "worms for android". Also, keeping in mind the last revered franchise they revived (dungeon keeper), i wouldn't be inspired by confidence...

Simcity. I don't even know how many years I waited for them to release that, only for it to be such a steaming pile . . .

EA doesn't have a studio with a proven track record of making good strategy games, though, if you look at their strategy page, you'll see stuff like "Plants vs. Zombies", "Madden NFL 13 Social for Facebook" and "Worms for Android". Also, keeping in mind the last revered franchise they revived (Dungeon Keeper), I wouldn't be inspired by confidence...

Their strategy page also has such things as Red Alert and Knights of Honor.
They can do it if they tried.

Their strategy page also has such things as Red Alert and Knights of Honor.
The last C&C release was 2010 and was a disappointment (and the studio that developed it is now defunct). Knights of Honor is a decade old. EA did have great strategy games, but at the moment, they don't have a studio that produced critically-acclaimed strategy games.

Hence, I doubt their ability to do something good with the license at the moment, they just don't have a track record in that genre (at least not for the last few years). There's always the chance of a new studio landing a smash hit right out of the gate, but looking at the more current titles, their strategy department focusses on mobile.

Mobile is interesting and you can do a lot with it, but I don't think it's the correct platform for a SMAC/X product.

Top Bottom