Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

There really is nothing wrong with most of Civ5 engine, well other than the MP code needing a complete rewrite, So really Civ6 could just be an improved Civ5 engine, it's the game mechanics that need redone not the graphics engine.

CS

Yeah, I see no reason not to keep the basics of the Civ V game engine (hex grid, 1UPT, etc.) for the next "regular" installment. I'm referring to things like the "Tech Web" (which could probably be adapted with relative ease to a normal Civ game), the more fleshed-out ideology system (in a regular Civ game, have it represent things like a Monarchy or a Republic or a Theocracy in the early days and then turn into the BNW-like Freedom/Order/Autocracy), and the more advanced map generation.

So, a new version of Alpha Centauri using the Civ 5 engine? Awesome! An 18 rating? Even more Awesome!

Yeah, I see no reason not to keep the basics of the Civ V game engine (hex grid, 1UPT, etc.) for the next "regular" installment. I'm referring to things like the "Tech Web" (which could probably be adapted with relative ease to a normal Civ game), the more fleshed-out ideology system (in a regular Civ game, have it represent things like a Monarchy or a Republic or a Theocracy in the early days and then turn into the BNW-like Freedom/Order/Autocracy), and the more advanced map generation.

Which is all gameplay design stuff, yes Civ6 needs some deep looks at what has been done in Civ2/3/4/5/BE to put a good balanced fun game together. But there is no reason Civ6 can't have the same look and feel as Civ5/BE, do not need to change something that is not broken :-/

CS

One article mentioned that your colony's leader is an explorer that you pick for them. There are 8 choices. Presumably your explorer choice provides you with a trait.

'Sid Meier’s Civilization: Beyond Earth begins at the end. Due to some sort of global catastrophe, which the developers only referred to as "The Great Mistake," Earth is experiencing a mass exodus.

Interesting. In the early days of Civ 5 I was bouncing ideas off of Spatzimaus regarding an AC mod and had posted this as a premise:

As the survivors of the great drought which destroyed the Mayan civilization experienced, the thin venier of civilization is all too easily peeled away when a society is stressed beyond its means to cope: in the latter half of the 21st century the world came face to face with the spectre of global famine as the Malthusian Equation became a reality. The Intelligentsia of societies coined the phrase of "Chronic Deprivation" to describe the billions of gaunt corpses which still persisted in living and eaking out a subsistence on the fringes of society, while those closer to the cataclysm called it "The Great Sadness" . Finally, when the governments of Earth failed to respond to the crisis and provide relief, whole civilizations rose in revolt, toppling their governments in orgies of chaos not seen since the French and Russian revolutions. With no central forms of government remaining, the four horsemen of the apocolypse rode across the world, and humanity sank into chaos and barbarism. Now, in the ashes of civilization, you have initiated Project Phoenix: the re-building of civilization.

Looking forward to this, especially in regards to the alien lifeforms, as well as the dynamics involving the alien civilization.

Oh, and modding - here's to hoping the mod'ing is more friendly for people like me. :)

D

'Multiplayer: Up to 8 players can compete for dominance of a new alien world.
Mod support: Robust mod support allows you to customize and extend your game experience.'

yess

Giant carnivore plant! Yaaaaaaaaaas! I want to see what the seas will have ! Giant carnivore sharks!? So excited!

So it is a language thingy. I was looking from a Botanical perspective. But still.. Why is vegetable outside Plants? It seems some things changed in the future.:think:

I suppose it could make sense to keep agricultural and/or generally edible plants separate from plants that you are bringing purely for ecological reasons. What I'm more confused about is the container directly on top of the legumes, marked eau, aka water. I hope it means aquatic plants, because that would be an odd place for a random water tank. I mean the plants were shown to be frozen, so no need for an active hydroponics system right?

Yaaaay! Great news!

I was a great fan of how Civ 4: Colonization was implemented; Civ 5 + Alpha Centauri may be even better.

From the PC Gamer article (page 5):

Will Miller: It's a tough balance to strike because we want to reach a new audience. We want to get to those XCOM fans who may not have played Civ because history wasn't their thing, or strategy gamers that are playing a lot of these strategy games on IOS, that haven't tried Civ before. We want to reach those people, so we're trying to make the game more accessible for them, but also catering to our hardcore fans.

We've heard about accessibility many times before, and I cannot recall a single time where this isn't simply an euphemism for, uhm, streamlining the gameplay experience. I didn't write dumbing down, but that's what I mean ;)

Mr. Miller explains a bit later in the article:

Will Miller: [...] in my mind, there are two kinds of Civilization games. There's Civilization 4 and Civilization 5, then there's Civ Rev. Civ Rev is my favourite, it's the last Civ that Sid Meier himself has designed, that's in the Civ canon. It's a much more asymmetrically balanced game, whereas Civ 4 and 5 where symmetrically balanced games. There's a lot more drama in Civ Rev, for me as a player. The game can swing very dramatically one way or the other, and that's been an issue, resolving the desire to get that sort of drama in the game, while at the same time not upsetting fans of Civ V too much.

This honestly got me a bit less excited. Maybe I'm reading all kinds of wrong into this, because I've got it all backwards. Never played Civ Rev.

Loved finally have some sign of life from Firaxis, and also enjoyed the concept of Beyond Earth. From what I've seen, I believe that factions will be formed by countries and organizations. Among them, probably the U.S., EU, Brazil, Russia, India, China, Japan and Islamic League/New Caliphate(?), and large corporations that will fund space exploration on their own.
Anyway, some of the game's new features features that may possibly appear in Civ VI, as the appearance of new civs in the middle of the game, and Technology Web. (sorry by the english...)

There really is nothing wrong with most of Civ5 engine, well other than the MP code needing a complete rewrite, So really Civ6 could just be an improved Civ5 engine, it's the game mechanics that need redone not the graphics engine.

CS
I'd prefer an engine where the gameplay and graphics aren't so tightly coupled. So a real light pitboss server is possible. It's also better for modding.

After seeing how Firaxis ruined the Colonization remake, I'm definitely waiting for good reviews + Steam sale before getting this.

Fall, so it's September? just like Civ5?
... which abruptly took me out of hype-mode.....
Will it be like Civ 5? Devoid of features? An empty shell of what Civilization 4 was? Will it take two expansions for it to become fun to play? But still lack the most basic set of diplomacy (the most important feature in a game like this)?

:scared:

I choose hype-mode. Youve got to think positive, right?

And no I will of course not preorder or buy at release day, im not completely stupid (Maybe I am? I bought SimCity...). But I will probably buy this as soon as ive seen it play on YouTube. Even if it seems a bit bad... I guess... :blush:

Oh I hope they dont screw this up like they did with Civ 5 vanilla. :(

Top Bottom