Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth

Shouldn't this be called "Sid Meier's Civilization: AFTER Earth"? LOL

Also, an 18 rating? For what sane reason would a Civ game need an 18 rating? I hope that is a goof.

How about Sid Meier's After Civilization. It would have such a nice and familiar acronym :)

Looks great, but isn't this more of a in between title, leading up to a full fledged star hopping AC-like game?

This takes place on a single planet, right?

No, it does not look like an in between title. It looks like an excellent standalone. More like "sounds" that way since we're not seeing much. I love star hoppers as much as the next guy - Galactic Civilizations 3 is incoming and will scratch that itch for me.

Looks like 1 world, yeah.

After what happened with Colonization, I'd advocate being more careful with such games that supposedly revive old classics.

We've heard about accessibility many times before, and I cannot recall a single time where this isn't simply an euphemism for, uhm, streamlining the gameplay experience. I didn't write dumbing down, but that's what I mean ;)

I wish they would improve "accessibility" by make the game playable for lower-end PC and laptop instead. :(

I have bad feeling about this. (About highly flexible leaders and civilization, Tech Web and potentially way too dynamic game) Not that I say this is bad. I just doubt if Firaxis can implements this well.

No, it does not look like an in between title. It looks like an excellent standalone. More like "sounds" that way since we're not seeing much. I love star hoppers as much as the next guy - Galactic Civilizations 3 is incoming and will scratch that itch for me.

Looks like 1 world, yeah.
I'm not downplaying it's potential as a game or a full-price title. It looks like an excellent standalone, I agree. I'm just questioning if it's correct to compare it to AC. This looks like one game before AC. Maybe it's a set up game for a AC sequel? You play Civ5 - BE - AC transferring your civ through the games...

I like the premise of the game and this era deserves to be covered :)

I'm not downplaying it's potential as a game or a full-price title. It looks like an excellent standalone, I agree. I'm just questioning if it's correct to compare it to AC. This looks like one game before AC. Maybe it's a set up game for a AC sequel? You play Civ5 - BE - AC transferring your civ through the games...

I like the premise of the game and this era deserves to be covered :)

I don't think Firaxis have star hopper game in plans. Playing on a single planet has its own significant advantages in terms of gameplay.

My only concern is - this looks like minor title (similar to CivIV: Colonization), so probably there will be no significant DLC/Expansions.

I suppose it'll depend on the uptake of the game. Alpha Centauri only had one expansion but that was so long ago...

I suppose it'll depend on the uptake of the game. Alpha Centauri only had one expansion but that was so long ago...

There were no DLC at this time and 1 expansion meant significant support.

I don't think Firaxis have star hopper game in plans. Playing on a single planet has its own significant advantages in terms of gameplay.

Yeah I don't see any indication of a GC-style game or any real connection to SMAC/X, concept and maybe a few nods aside...for one, if I recall, SMAC/X was a single mission that fractured, not separate missions by separate entities

We've heard about accessibility many times before, and I cannot recall a single time where this isn't simply an euphemism for, uhm, streamlining the gameplay experience. I didn't write dumbing down, but that's what I mean ;)

[...]

This honestly got me a bit less excited. Maybe I'm reading all kinds of wrong into this, because I've got it all backwards. Never played Civ Rev.

On the plus side, Will Miller and David McDonough have been co-leads on a project before, so presumably know how to work well with one another. On the other hand, that project was Haunted Hollow for iOS.

My only concern is - this looks like minor title (similar to CivIV: Colonization), so probably there will be no significant DLC/Expansions. I would like to see it developed better. On the other hand, in Firaxis is not very good in smooth join between expansion and core game, so if they put as much as possible within the game on release, probably it will be good.

They billed the announcement as being of a new AAA title, and unlike with Colonization and Civ4, they're trying to distinguish it from Civ5. So at this stage it would appear that they're treating it as a more than a minor title, if perhaps not as big as Civ5 or Civ6.

Seems to me that they since they are unable to use the Alpha Centauri name, they are using the brand name of Civilization to attract a new generation of gamers to check out the product.

They billed the announcement as being of a new AAA title, and unlike with Colonization and Civ4, they're trying to distinguish it from Civ5. So at this stage it would appear that they're treating it as a more than a minor title, if perhaps not as big as Civ5 or Civ6.

Yep, but naming make me fear there will be no big expansions. You just can't make Something like Civilization: Beyond Earth: Moar Aliens, this looks weird. And if they mix the name with title itself like Civilization: Beyond Beyond Earth it will look quite confusing.

Hope this will not prevent DLC though.

Yep, but naming make me fear there will be no big expansions. You just can't make Something like Civilization: Beyond Earth: Moar Aliens, this looks weird. And if they mix the name with title itself like Civilization: Beyond Beyond Earth it will look quite confusing.

Hope this will not prevent DLC though.

There will likely to be big expansions, for after all XCOM: Enemy Unknown's name did not stop the creation of XCOM: Enemy Within.

There will likely to be big expansions, for after all XCOM: Enemy Unknown's name did not stop the creation of XCOM: Enemy Within.

XCOM is the game name, so they were able to keep this part only. This trick will not work with CBE. If they name the game like Civilization: Enemy Unknown no one will understand the connection with CBE.

This is a spin-off game in the vein of Colonization right ? I doubt there will be any expansion, probably some DLC though.

This is a spin-off game in the vein of Colonization right ? I doubt there will be any expansion, probably some DLC though.

Yep, that was the point. And it's quite sad, because SMAC was on the same level with Civ.

I think it's a wee bit early to be talking XPs and DLC.:lol:

I think it's a wee bit early to be talking XPs and DLC.:lol:

The difference is the level of support. Civ V was supported for more than 3 years.
If I remember correctly, Civ4Col has just 1 patch in half a year after the release.

I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine it had to do with the level of success? Col2 sold badly IIRC, while Civ5 has been a massive success.

Top Bottom