1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier's Civilization IV Team to Appear on GameSHOUT Radio

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Captain Howdy, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Thunderfall

Thunderfall Administrator Administrator Moderator

2. Akela

Akela Chieftain

Hey... maybe the Firaxis team will sign the box of the games you guys won. That would be a nice touch.

3. Phoenix_56721

Phoenix_56721 Prince

I didnt tune untill about 9:25, what was the reply?

4. Genocidicbunny

Genocidicbunny Bug squasher

need a question to ask, must have civ 3 (wait, I already do, don't I?)

5. T100

T100 Truly Sick in the head!

If they sign the box then I am definitly ebaying it, im sure that someone will pay thousands of dollars for that and I would buy a GT2 or something cool like that, j/k Im such a nerd i would keep it and put it on the mantle or something.

6. V. Soma

V. Soma long time civ fan

Yeah, written transcription of main parts would be nice...
    For it is easier to read English than listen to it - for me, a Hungarian...

7. Sirian

Sirian Civ Map Programmer

Listening to it, it sounded pretty encouraging to me. :) The AI personalities have their own agendas and try to look after them? They can get upset at you if you are trading with their enemies? You can't just buy them all like in Civ3?

Those sound like features I would have asked for. :lol:

So... the big secret about Firaxis's next project after Civ4... it will be a computer game! :eek: Wow. :D Funny guy. :cooool:

- Sirian

8. troytheface

troytheface Deity

well they said that "Colonozation" ? (never played it) was something they were comsidering and that SMAC 2 was just "twinkle" in someone's eye.

9. Captain Howdy

Captain Howdy Reptile

Colonozation was a great game and I got the impression from them that it was very likely on the horizon.

I didn't get the impression that Oct 24 was written in stone though. They said it was Take 2's desire and they thought they could do.

10. evil_linus

evil_linus Chieftain

Colonization would be bloody awsome!!

I haven't had time to hear the podcast yet and because I'm at work I have a little hard time doing so right now. Can't anyone sum up the most important stuff? pleease!! ;)

edit: typo

11. NDCSPURS

NDCSPURS Chieftain

That was pretty intresting interview but I'd much rather see www.civfanatics.com interview the civ 4 team. ;)

12. Mrdie

Mrdie Founder of eRegime

Sid: Okay..first question...

* Phone rings *

Commander Bello: WHY DID YOU RUIN THE CIV SERIES!?

Sid: * Shocked look on his face * Uh....... o.o

Heheh, regardless, yeah, I would also support Civfanatics doing the interview. :D

13. Downer

Downer Chieftain

bwhahaha! :lol:

This was a great discussion though! What I liked most was the fact that navies will supposedly have a bigger role now. Oil as well as other resources will actually appear in the ocean and you'll have to harvest it appropriately. Also, you'll now be able to barricade enemy cities which will halt all of the cities ocean harvesting, in effect starving the city. These two additions may make naval warfare a much bigger thing than in previous civs. Especially in those situations where the only obtainable oil resources are sitting out in the middle of an ocean, you'll bet your butt I'll be snatching that for myself. I just hope the AI is smart enough to realize this and make a real effort to take it as well.

14. kryszcztov

kryszcztov Deity

That was a nice interview, though I missed the beginning. :) I think I can recognize Sid, Jeff and Soren's voices now, lol, I'm a nerd. :scan:

The biggest news to me is the UN : definitely better than in Civ3 without any doubt, without even trying the game. But we have yet to see it combined with the diplomatic victory condition...
    I'm dubious about those fishing boats which harvest sea resources... On land you have your citizens, but you need units on sea ? Must see that ingame, though I like the idea of offshore resources.
    Actually I would have ROTFLMAOed if someone asked them why lions eat settlers ! :lol: That would have made my day.
    Jeff's piece of music was the 1st one only, no ? That's the one I preferred, it sounded like a score from a castle stage in Zelda... :D

Now, what would be fun is to play Civ4 MP against the dev team someday. Or why not (and I prefer this by far) a team PBEM with them and the biggest Civ sites (like the ISDG) ?

15. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

I think that's the first "podcast" that I've ever listened to. What was with the delays between the interviewer and the team though? I guess it's my background in radio, but the handoff from the interviewer to the interviewee was quite rough. Is it just the technology they're dealing with?

16. Ramalhão

Ramalhão Warlord

I want to see a transcript of this interview, because I have partial deafness and I don't understand very well in Portuguese, you can imagine me hearing something in English :(.

17. KingSponge

KingSponge Warlord

I'm only 5 minutes into the podcast and it's quite obvious the guy running the GameSHOUT show (in this interview, anyway) has not only *never* played a Civilization game in his life, but he's not even a gamer!! :rolleyes:

Prudently, he seems to be handing the interview off to one of his staff members who he claims is a Civ junkie from way.

Ok, going back to listen to the rest... just had to get that off my chest, how foolish this guy sounds.

18. joethreeblah

joethreeblah King

he's definately no howard stern

19. kolpo

kolpo Warlord

I love what i'm hearing about the UN council, I never hoped it would be in at all and now do we get an even better UN council then SMAC :)

I hope we can do votes to make all civic options global, so that if I get enough support to make theocracy a global civic that I can do it :)

Sea blockades seems me also a good idea, I hope this shall make navies more important.

20. KingSponge

KingSponge Warlord

Listened to the first half and I'm liking what I'm hearing, particularly the multiplayer. Can't wait to get me some team matches! Sharing resources, LOS, research, etc. is nice.

The RPG elements sound pretty cool. Lots of bonuses to fool around with in order to make 'specialty' troops.