Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

"Cartoony" was also the standard style from at least Civ III. CiV was the one that broke off the mold.

An improvement on Civ V they didn't note is its releasing with Religion, no Religion=no buy it works.
also I like how terrain influences Tech and other aspects, not a fan of mobile game graphics but its too early to judge.

Im Curious to see what improvements have been made to great people archeology and trade.

Of course Gandhi needs uranium start bias MAKE IT HAPPEN:nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke::nuke: and CivAnonVI please.

Omg, that s the best nws of the day. And i m amazed seeing three suggestions i often made being in the game: city being more than just one tile and being able to invade specific parts of it, guerilla style. And the limited stacking of units and their hybridation through fusion between differznt types of units.

Those two elements alone make me wanna throw money at my screen.

I simply cannot wait to be in late october. Fast forward pleeeeeease

If i had one blame to make, i m not fan of the civ revolution style graphics. But got to admit there seems to be a lot more life on the terrain. It really looks civ rev like. And the stacking of the same units is another common point with rev. I hope it stops there though cause civ rev 1 and 2 were pure garbage.

I think we re gonna have a lot of surprises with the new district changes, especially for workers. Who bets that buildings might require a worker ?

I cant wait for the e3s let s plays. Gonna be epic to see the wait end

I am extremely sceptical of the "active" research that they tout. I hope this isn't some kind of grinding mechanic. Maybe I should have more faith in the development team, but that stuff is becoming so prevalent. The mobile phone game style graphics don't do much to disabuse me of this notion.

I'm all for a bit of "cartoony" -- things can be more artistic and exaggerated. The game looks so lush -- it's beautiful and optimistic, very Civ'ish. I always prefer abstract styles over graphics that try to be too realistic.

Especially in Civ, where things are out of proportion and you get quirky graphical things happening like improvements overlapping into the water, or roads running right through things like pastures (though, hopefully, those aren't present in 6).

Speaking of proportions, I'm very glad to see units return to groups of large units instead of formations of tiny units. The art style can really be shown off better, along with the unique identities of each civilization. Perhaps it'll also help with the new way of merging units together.

The thought occurs to me... you have to build EVERYTHING on a tile?

If I build a bank it takes up a tile? If I build an Aqueduct it takes up a tile? If I build an armory it takes up a tile?

We're going to be running out of space in cities PDQ. Unless this new version has HUGE maps?

If I build a bank it takes up a tile? If I build an Aqueduct it takes up a tile? If I build an armory it takes up a tile?

We're going to be running out of space in cities PDQ. Unless this new version has HUGE maps?

Yeah, I think we'll just have to wait for more news. I'm curious about this too.

Perhaps, like units, buildings aren't limited to 1BPT (building per tile, hehe) and can be combined to a certain limit... maybe even some buildings get an additional bonus when you combine them with certain improvements or buildings on the same tile? :)

Everything built on a tile alone may be a bit weird. Sure, maps could become much bigger, but then the scale of everything gets thrown off even more. For example, when you compare a string of your buildings with a nearby mountain range.

This just popped into my head: I'm curious how walls will work now. Perhaps you construct them "between" tiles now, similar to how rivers flow.

Maybe specific builing opening a district require a tile and then you can just upgrade that district by adding more buildings ? An article stated that cities can stil work up to 36 tiles which leaves a lot of room. I gues it s gonna be about how much classic improvement (farm mine etc) are needed compared to civ v.

It might also push players to specializr cities a lot more. You could have granary type cities, mining cities etc. I assume they will iterate on trade routes as they could be a fine layer of gameplay if you need to balance city building and city improvements. Would also make for amazing military strategies. Cut the supply road from a food city to the capitol and watch your enemy starve. Etc. I d love that

From what looks like the religions district on the screenshots, (it has 3 different versions on them), I guess the graphic either grows with how many buildings of that kind are in the city, or each district has a limited number of slots (3 or 4), for that kind of buildings.

+1 on more map emphasis. Freakin' love this change. I hope it works out as well as it sounds. It may also give more incentive to expand, if there is more emphasis on picking up different geographical areas. i.e., the more tiles you have the more improvements you can put down.

+1 on being able to move more than one unit at a time. I wonder how well it will work out given different obstacles on the map.

While I would have liked a more realistic style for graphics, I don't mind the current graphics. Though I wish the color was toned down just a bit... it is so bright almost distracting. Also keep in mind these screenshots are zoomed in, so they are probably more tolerable when zoomed out where most of us actually play the game at.

I think we can also include portugal, although I'm simply guessing based on those city colours in the top left of image no. 2.

Also I believe those colours are for Egypt (also + pyramids give it away they are in the base game), although Rome will most likely also be in the base game.

I don't know. Japan is obviously the red/white, and I agree it is probably Egypt for the yellow/magenta, but why Portugal? Just going off Civ 5 colors?

It is hard to see, but the city center art looks almost like huts, which would lead me to think it is a native american or african civ.

I cringe when people complain about graphics in any game. I played more than 1300 hours of Civ in strategic view and can still play the unmodded Morrowind version without ever feeling like it lacks something. Maybe some people just lack imagination? :lol:

Well I love the nice landscapes in V and this just looks like a step backwards in art style to me. I've never been a cartoon fan. The trees especially look like Flight Sim 3 or there abouts (from the 90's). Hopefully things will improve though.

Hard to judge the changes, but some sound promising, others not, but it's more about how it all works together and for that I'll need to play it myself. Anyway I'd hope it is has a lot more things to learn and discover other wise might as well just stick to V.

Civ V was a very fun game (almost 1000 hours on it), more thanks to different mods, but there was one issue that bothered me immensely: Espionage. It was TERRIBLE. Civ IV had the right thing going, and then they changed it for... let's keep it civil(izated), shall we? ;)

Now, they announce Civ VI. And they didn't show us nothing really, yet. Will the game be using the same engine (so, another "big mod" of Civ V, same as BE) or we only see it like that because of the pictures?

For me, one of the best things they did on Civ V was stop using squares and start using hexagons. It was a bit of annoying not being able to stack units anymore, but found a way to overcome that by using strategic positioning on the map. The policies were really nice, the tech tree was the same as always, trade rutes were fine until they were overpowered... but espionage is poor. BE did a step back (towards Civ IV), and yet it was wrong. All this being said, I hope they don't make the same mistakes on Civ VI. I hope they go back to Civ IV's way of managing espionage. :)

And I hope to have a fully working version, with mods enabled, for Linux on release (or shortly after, at least). ;)

Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my language. ;)

Cheers

I cringe when people complain about graphics in any game. I played more than 1300 hours of Civ in strategic view and can still play the unmodded Morrowind version without ever feeling like it lacks something. Maybe some people just lack imagination? :lol:
A champion among men, I played Oblivion on max settings unmodded BECAUSE ITS AMAZING. but really it looks kind of like a mobile game and that can put some people off, I perosonally don't like mobile game graphics. but that's not what we should be scrutinizing.

I think this game has great potential already. I don't mind the graphics if it means that huge maps will be easily supported because of the simplicity. If the art ends up like that reddit screenshot, I'll gladly pre-order.

Speaking of pre-order - $59. Well if anything should hit that price level I suppose it's CIV.

There's a 'digital extra' version for $79, but no details on that yet.

Expanding Cities, the one and only feature I wanted from Civilization series since civ3. I have mixed feelings about this. I was going to skip on civ6, now its hard.

From what looks like the religions district on the screenshots, (it has 3 different versions on them), I guess the graphic either grows with how many buildings of that kind are in the city, or each district has a limited number of slots (3 or 4), for that kind of buildings.

I think that is the case, I read somewere there are 12 district types, and there's more improvements than that. They seem to be color-coded to game mechanics (this reinforces the cartoony style, btw), so we seem to have in the screenshots

WHITE - Religión :c5faith:
In Screenshot 1 (front) (Main temple, circular columns, pagoda)
In Screenshot 1 (back) (Only circular columns)
In Screenshot 2 (Main temple and circular columns, but no pagoda).

BLUE - Sicence :c5science:
(could be also religión due to the angel-like statue, but color-coding screams science to me)
In screnshot 1 it seems more developed than in screenshot 2, but could be also due to the terrain in which it is. Screenshot 1 is cut at the edge of the image, so I'm not able to tell if additional buildings have been added to the main group besides the "pool" (in screenshot 3, we seem to have the same district than in screenshot 1, without any new building.

YELLOW - Gold :c5gold:
Screenshot 2 features what seems a marketplace-district next to the main city, most probably groveable with Banks and others.

Pink - Culture :c5culture:
Screenshot 3 features a remarkable pink-roofed district featuring an amphiteater and some sort of open-air dinosaur museum...

ORANGE - Happiness :c5happy:
To the lowest part of screnshot 3, there seems to appear as well a "circus" district, probably for leisure improvements.

DARK RED - War :c5war:
The encampment on screenshot 3 seems the ideal place for barracks and so on...

Wonder if farms (food :c5food:), Mills (hammers, :c5production:) and docks (all sea-related improvements - they are taking a full sea tile, right?) will be its own districts.

Also seems brownish ones (some with obelisks, some not), represent city centers.

I'm excited about this. It was something I discussed here some time ago, and seems quite logical and natural (no more I'm missing a sea exit because I seetled just une tile far away from the beach, i.e.).
Also i find a good move to benefit certain technologies (and probably cultural traits) in function of what you build... it seems logical you find easier to develop better weapons if you have extensive solider training, or comercial technologies if your citizens are mostly merchants. It will need a lot of tuning, howerver, as the benefit should be noticeable, but you should still be able to unlock the techs even if not really focused in the área.

As said, this two features are risky and could go downhill, but also have an interesting potential to enhance the game experience... we'll need to check how this develops.

The digital extra edition, according to arstechnica.com, "includes the 25th Anniversary Digital Soundtrack and access to four post-launch DLC packs."

Buildings are not limited to one building per tile. In the PCGamer article, Ed Beach is quoted as saying, "You have a campus tile, and that's where all your research is going on – you have your library, university and research lab all in that campus tile." And the 1UPT has been modified only to allow support units to combine with other units (e.g. anti-tank gun with infantry - and two support units cannot be on the same tile) and to combine 2 or 3 units into a core or army. However, it does indicate that various troops can be grouped so that they all move together - we'll have to wait and see how that works (e.g. all movement limited to slowest unit? what happens if there's a chokepoint? etc.).

Although I can't put my finger on it at the moment, there was the mention of the game being based on a "new engine." So hopefully we're getting 64bit processing now.

Top Bottom