1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Camikaze, May 11, 2016.

1. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

The game is set for release on October 21, 2016.

A Take-Two Interactive press release notes:

“Sid Meier’s Civilization games hold a reputation for defining the 4X gaming genre for the past 25 years,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “We can’t think of a better way to celebrate the silver anniversary of our longest-running franchise than launching the eagerly anticipated Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, which will provide the most detailed, beautiful and complete experience ever featured in a Civilization game.”

Sid Meier’s Civilization VI sets another milestone in the Civilization franchise, which has sold-in over 34 million units worldwide and changed the gaming landscape by bringing the strategy genre to unparalleled heights. In Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, cities will physically expand across the map to create new, deep strategic layers, active research in technology and culture will unlock new potential ways to play; and the large variety of leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical character traits as players race to achieve victory however they choose to play.

“Sid Meier’s Civilization VI builds on the firm foundation of the Civilization franchise, and we’ve added many exciting new elements,” said Ed Beach, lead designer at Firaxis Games. “The visual presentation of the game is inspired by the maps and tools of the Age of Exploration, and we’ve made several key gameplay changes such as expansive cities and active research that makes Sid Meier’s Civilization VI an entirely unique experience while remaining true to what makes the Civilization series so special.”​

Details from the Civ6 Steam page:

Originally created by legendary game designer Sid Meier, Civilization is a turn-based strategy game in which you attempt to build an empire to stand the test of time. Become Ruler of the World by establishing and leading a civilization from the Stone Age to the Information Age. Wage war, conduct diplomacy, advance your culture, and go head-to-head with history’s greatest leaders as you attempt to build the greatest civilization the world has ever known.

Civilization VI offers new ways to engage with your world: cities now physically expand across the map, active research in technology and culture unlocks new potential, and competing leaders will pursue their own agendas based on their historical traits as you race for one of five ways to achieve victory in the game.

• EXPANSIVE EMPIRES:
      See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.
    • ACTIVE RESEARCH:
      Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.
    • DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY:
      Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.
    • COMBINED ARMS:
      Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.
    • ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER:
      In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.
    • A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS:
      Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The art from the Steam page looks kinda of mobile gamey, but the support unit embedding sounds interesting.

3. hagnat

hagnat Chieftain

everyone was expecting this
    i was expecting this

but seeing the graphics ? not anymore
    these look like a port from civ rev

guess i will stick with civ5 until the re-mature the graphics again

4. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

i cant wait .. i've been a civ junkie since civ 3

5. whb

whb King

Yay.... oh.

It sounds like a Civilisation 5.1 from the screenshots and description. Incremental twiddling rather than revisiting the design the way they used to each time.

Not keep on 1upt. Civ V's the only Civ that I've found to be just a bit too dull and dreary to finish games I've started.

Curious that the box art recalls Civ III's style and colour palette (rather reminiscent of their use of the Tower of Babel painting)

6. Falk

Falk Prince

Yes! Finally! About time!

That trailer is one the best I've ever seen. Really, really well done. I like the positive vibe - there's so much negativity in media and politics, it takes a game trailer to remind us that we're actually doing pretty well overall as a species.

I also love the in-game graphics. I understand that some will compare it to f2p mobile rubbish because of the cartoonish style, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Cartoon graphics tend to be clearer and less cluttered than pseudo-realistic graphics, so that's cool!

7. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

Well that all sounded great, especially expanding upon the unit system (I've kind of dislike a lot of Civ games because of how gamey they are, especially for combat, and am tired of the unit system as it has been done)... but god damn those screenshots look TERRIBLE. I am quite honestly disgusted by the unit designs, WTF are those? They look directly out of some sort of crappy mobile or facebook game.

Assuming they don't screw the pooch entirely, I'll be waiting for the Complete edition anyway.

8. krasny

krasny Prince

Everything is better with Sean Bean. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

9. Zlatko

Zlatko CIW

10. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

Posting in a hot new board.

Man it seems like I only just upgraded from 4 to 5. Interested to see where 6 heads regardless.

11. LDiCesare

LDiCesare Deity

It looks like they redidsome of the engine, changed stuff that would have been moddable in civ 4 and are packaging it as a new game.
    I liked civ IV cottages so probably the new 'tiles around the city' thingy is not that new but is nice too.
    What I'm really interested in is whether they changed anything related to government/civics,city states, and how the ai will be handling diplomacy. That and razing cities...

12. krasny

krasny Prince

So basically a quick cash grabs that's a year late.

13. ringwraith18

ringwraith18 Chieftain

Cautiously optimistic, though I still don't like the one unit per tile design choice. I didn't like it in Civ V because I felt like I was winning by simply jumping around the AI, rather than winning by building a large production base and seizing the initiative.

The graphics...do look a little cartoony/mobiley. In itself its not a problem, so long as the gameplay doesn't also resemble a mobile game.

14. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Meh.
    I always was insanely excited by a new Civ announcement, but Civ5 and BtE just killed it and my confidence in Firaxis to hold up the flame.
    With the continuation of this terrible 1upt concept, the weird mobile-game-like graphics and the seemingly continuation of Civ5 general design, let's say it does nothing to pump my blood.

Guess I'll stick with Civ4 still.

15. Sauron 3

Sauron 3 Chieftain

Brilliant novelty! Outside building would change the game process a little bit with other features. One thing is very bad - we can forget for the second expansion to the sci-fi Beyond Earth.

16. Seraiel

Seraiel Deity

The graphics are so enormously ugly that the game-design and also the gameplay would need to be far superior for me to be interested in that game.

The trailer is very emotional and well thought out for the first half, but the all works of mankind imo. shouldn't be ascribed to men, women or mankind, there's someone else standing behind them ;) .

17. kkapalk

kkapalk Warlord

I absolutely adore the graphics in Civ 5, along with the gameplay obviously. Realistic oceans, beautiful mountains, etc, made the game so immersive. I was so pleased the developers had moved away from the cartoony Civ 4 graphics. It made the game so much more enjoyable. When I found out Civ 6 was coming I hastily pre-ordered it, expecting the graphics to be even more impressive than Civ 5. My heart sunk when I saw those screenshots tonight. It seems a massive step backwards to me, and I have to agree with the poster who said the final artwork won't differ a lot from these initial screenshots. My own fault for being too impatient and ordering it without waiting for information.:confused:

18. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Civ was practically the only game I played since Civ 1. But I stopped being happy after Civ 4's BTS. And this early CIv VI looks more like an expansion for Civ V's expansion. How very disappointing :thumbsdown:

19. MosheLevi

MosheLevi Prince

Funny, I suggested the "combining two units together" feature to form a more powerful unit when Civ 5 was released.
    I guess someone listened.

Regrading the cartoony graphics - I am horrified.
    I can't stand cartoony graphics and I certainly won't pay $60 for a cartoony game.

When I saw the announcement today I was excited and was ready to pre-purchase Civ 6, but then I saw the cartoony screen shots and the excitement was completely gone.

It is obvious they plan to release the same game for mobiles and tablets.
    Very well then, I may buy it for my tablet for $5 or $10 instead of buying it for my PC for $60.
    Or maybe I will just go back to play Civ 4 which in my opinion looks better than Civ 6.
    I am still having fun playing Civ 5 by the way.

20. GenjiKhan

GenjiKhan Emperor

I don't mind cartoony graphics . They're simpler to run, age well, and often, are less buggy than ultra realistic graphics .