Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

Looks like a lot of interesting eye candy but the civilization genre has been played out in me. I've since moved on to other pastures.

Excitement for about two minutes, the first twinges of worry after reading the features, and then absolute heartbreak once I opened those screenshot tabs. Oh well. I guess can play Civ 4 for another six years.

Excitement for about two minutes, the first twinges of worry after reading the features, and then absolute heartbreak once I opened those screenshot tabs. Oh well. I guess can play Civ 4 for another six years.

I think if it's another disappointing Civ like the last one then some other developer / publisher is going to challenge for the 4X grognard crown.

I can't believe the graphics style is going to have much effect at all on the success or failure of this game, compared to the actual gameplay.

I can't believe the graphics style is going to have much effect at all on the success or failure of this game, compared to the actual gameplay.

It will hurt sales for sure since many players expressed their disappointment from the graphics.

By how much? 10%, 20% or even 30% lost in sales? who knows.
That is remained to be seen, but it will hurt sales nonetheless.

I was going to pre-purchase Civ 6 but decided not to when I saw the cartoony graphics.
If I get it it will be when it is on deep sale on Steam.

Let us hope they can still correct the graphics.

It will hurt sales for sure since many players expressed their disappointment from the graphics.

That's completely unclear. Maybe it will help sales because there will be a larger number of people who prefer the new graphics. Way too early to tell. And in any case it will be a small effect, either way, compared to the gameplay that we still have to see.

That's completely unclear. Maybe it will help sales because there will be a larger number of people who prefer the new graphics.

I doubt that very much.

When Civ 5 was announced and screen shots were released many players (myself included) expressed their amazement about how good the screen shots looked.

Now for Civ 6, it is the exact opposite.

Most everyone appreciated the increase in rendering quality and detail from Civ IV to Civ V. Opinion on the somewhat more abstract graphics in Civ VI vs the somewhat more realistic graphics in Civ V seems to me about equally divided. Maybe a slight bias toward Civ V but that's to be expected on a site where most of the active participants are Civ V players. I don't see much of a strong trend here that is likely to in the end affect the overall reception of the game. Obviously, there are always a few people who will feel very strongly about any change, and those are the ones who are the most vocal about it.

This has gone from a day 1 purchase, to an in the sale purchase, all because of those ugly graphics.

Being a home computer owner from the ZX81 age onwards, I realise graphics don't make a great game necessarily, but the style and quality of them looks to be a backwards step and just don't suit a game which has so much depth to it. Unless they are aiming for the teens and under market.

I have to say, I'm really disappointed.

As much as I hate to say it, because I love CIV V, I hope sales are massively down when this gets released to show them, just how much of a mistake they have made and thousands of people around the net, are telling them that.

Mafia III, now is my most anticipated release of the year.

As much as I hate to say it, because I love CIV V, I hope sales are massively down when this gets released to show them, just how much of a mistake they have made and thousands of people around the net, are telling them that.

It's natural to hope that other people feel the same way you do. Everyone likes to have their opinions be shared. But, in this case, I think you're in a relatively small but vocal minority. If your opinion were really widespread, they wouldn't have made these choices in the first place. And looking at the overall reaction to the art it seems roughly neutral.

Also, nothing wrong with wanting the game to appeal to teenagers, if you ask me. I would like that to be the case. (I'm 52.)

It's not even worth gauging the reaction now. Most people think about buying the game closer to launch day (assuming they don't wait until well after), so people's opinions at that time are the ones that matter. People are judging the game based on graphics because there is so little information about the game overall yet they (think they) know how it looks. There could be people who hate the game now based on their impression but will like it later based on additional information.

On the other hand, there are probably some people that will stick with their first impression just for the sake of sticking to their first impression. (And there are some people who value the visual style so much that it is crucial that it suits them.)

I had a Twitter chat with one of the members of the music department. They aren't saying yet whether the score is original or classic pieces.

I personally can't wait. I have greatly appreciated each Civilization release (I think I started with Civ2 just before 3 was released). I always have the opportunity to play the older version if I wish. More options usually seems to be a better situation to me.

The things I miss the most are:
1) That silly, meaningless to the game, palace building screen.
2) Unit stacking.

But honestly, I prefer the current one unit per tile operation better than huge unit stacks marching for an attack. It seems an attempt is being made to salvage the best of both worlds with unit merging. It always seemed odd to me that archers and siege units only operate adjacent to, rather within an "army". Sometimes artillery is stationed away from the infantry in real life. But those situations are typically chosen for strategic or tactical purposes.

to be honest it's a cartoony series but if there is a problem it is that it looks cartoony the way that all cartoony games look cartoony. a distinct visual style would be good (shining force 2 comes to mind because i saw it being played recently) but i'm happy as long as i can actually read the visual information quickly

Meh.
I always was insanely excited by a new Civ announcement, but Civ5 and BtE just killed it and my confidence in Firaxis to hold up the flame.
With the continuation of this terrible 1upt concept, the weird mobile-game-like graphics and the seemingly continuation of Civ5 general design, let's say it does nothing to pump my blood.

My thoughts exactly, especially the "Meh"

I had to rub my eyes and double check that I was looking at a Civ 6 screen shot.

On closer inspection it does seem to have plenty of detail... so really I just hate the style.

I also prefer Zelda Twilight Princess over Wind Waker. ;)

Considering the switch from fully updated and modded Civ IV to Civ V was somewhat painful, and I now have Civ V fully tricked out... I think I'll just wait for the complete edition, or at least for the first expansion. Some of this stuff looks good on paper, but after BE I'm not taking anything for granted.

As for the graphics, not sure if I like the new direction. I'm having flashbacks to my reaction when I saw Toon Link for the first time. Still, if changing the art style improves performance, it might be worth it, especially if it saves a lot of people the trouble and expense of upgrading hardware to switch from V to VI.

well i suppose myself and others sometimes try to turn Cvlztn into more of a military game than its overall supposed to be (and i still love vanilla civ! :D sometimes its the best)
i personally have to say i like both the idea of one unit per tile *and* the corps combine idea.
i myself tried to find a way *around* the tile stack enigma while i was designing a mod. my recommendation if i might be so cocky, for the not-yet-released Civ VI?
combine these two things with the "surround and destroy" concept from C2C and you've got something.
oh yeh the mod i said it was going to be ready last year didnt i? :D
back at it again think of it as a sort of half-baked 'vanilla invictus' :)
we'll see. im still too lazy/dumb to have figured out dll or python merging.
but im trying to put together the basic two outside mods that i need for my base.
topic on hand: ~ civ vi ~*
another idea (not that you asked) : also how about making the modding off of this upcoming version super easy :) even for dummies :)
above all im still a huge civ (iv!!! semper fi) fan its long overtaken chess as my all time favorite game.

*edit footnote* although i suppose the unit merging *does* more or less accomplish a 'surround and destroy' effect.

Top Bottom