Sid Vicious and The Magnificent 7+1

grahamiam said:
we will not win a cultural battle with sid AI. Lagash will flip due to cultural expansion, but i'm not sure what we can do about it. let's try not to do that for the next town.

:sad: I hope it doesn't. If we build some culture there and it is very close to our own capital. I will keep my fingers crossed.
I don't really know the strength of SID AIs, this is my 1st SID attempt.

grahamian said:
Lagash will flip due to cultural expansion, but i'm not sure what we can do about it.

We can pick it back up and move it. Whip it.

France is a strong culture builder anyway. Abandoning the city entirely would be better than letting it flip.

- Sirian

Sirian said:
We can pick it back up and move it. Whip it.
France is a strong culture builder anyway. Abandoning the city entirely would be better than letting it flip.
- Sirian
yep, but we have to get it up to size 4 to whip a settler (2 pop for settler, 1 for the whip). maybe we just skip the temple build and instead go warrior -> settler, then abandon it. looks like it's doing 2spt so that would be about the quickest we could do that. however, france only needs 24 shields till it gets done it's temple. hopefully, it's only doing 1spt or building a unit 1st.

I have it. How soon do we think Lahore is going to flip? 50 turns? Let's get something out of it first.

grahamian said:
we have to get it up to size 4 to whip a settler (2 pop for settler, 1 for the whip).

Eh? Are you sure?

Last I knew, all that was necessary was to get to size 2 and 10 shields in the box, whip, then make sure the city ran break-even or deficit food. It will pick itself up the next turn, turning back into a settler.

The down side is the whip memory will transfer to another city, but that's better than losing a whole settler.

- Sirian

Sirian said:
Last I knew, all that was necessary was to get to size 2 and 10 shields in the box, whip, then make sure the city ran break-even or deficit food. It will pick itself up the next turn, turning back into a settler.

I think you need to whip the settler when it is about to grow to size 3. Then IBT it would grow to size 3 and ask you whether to abandon the city, and you say yes and you get a settler.

Sirian said:
Eh? Are you sure?

The down side is the whip memory will transfer to another city, but that's better than losing a whole settler.

- Sirian
never tried that, if it works, great :)

@doc: sorry for the misspelling, need to check my prescription :crazyeye:

Oh, looks like i did a major "No-No" :wallbash:
Sorry about that... I didn't realize that personal habit of squeezing AIs by such an aggressive city placement never works on SID level.

lurker's comment: You could just attack and raze the french town and hope you can make peace before the main french stacks reach your core :)
They would prolly first go after your scoting warrior near french core first so...

dmanakho said:
Oh, looks like i did a major "No-No" :wallbash:
Sorry about that... I didn't realize that personal habit of squeezing AIs by such an aggressive city placement never works on SID level.
well, that's ok, we're in it, and we have some ideas on how to get out of it, so hopefully something will work. if not, chalk it up as a learning experience. :) i'm wondering if anyone, in thier right minds, plays with these map settings on sid :twitch:

grahamian said:
never tried that

Us old dogs are still worth a trick or two. :cool:

grahamian said:
i'm wondering if anyone, in thier right minds, plays with these map settings on sid

Er... wait. Was being in one's right mind a prerequisite for signing on to this venture? :lol: I may not be qualified. :crazyeye:

- Sirian

:lol: I can only add what scoutsout posted originally when he found this map:

"Turn it over to Bede or Arathorn and see what twisted variant they could come up with."

Well, this was as twisted as I could make it.

And as g-man said: We're in it and might as well see what we can get out of it....

if ever I needed a crew to pull rabbits out the hat by main force, this is it. Let'sjust see what develops. If nothing else that little ville will give Joanie's settler pairs a slight delay on their way east.

Early – I see the issue with Lahore. I change it to a settler and hopefully we can get something out of it. We are desperately short of workers. Four workers for five towns that need improvement isn’t enough. Joannie won’t trade. Our entire economy is doubtful. Even pulling the Charis trick of maximizing gpt doesn’t get us too far. As predicted our curragh is sent to Davey Jones’ locker.

A barb horse approaches from the east but doesn’t attack. I cover everything in sight with warriors. Our entire economy will now get us the wheel from Joan, I hold off because we spot a yellow border to the NE.
Delhi: settler=>warrior=>settler
Madras: worker=>worker

Middle – We lose a warrior guarding our settler, but I brought two. That allows Karachi to be founded to the east on the river, three tiles from Bombay. We run into a mini stack of Vikings strolling through French lands. We also meet the Mongols behind the yellow border. The cost of the wheel drops to 245G from Joan and I execute the deal. Just for everyone’s information, the Mongols wanted 275G for it and the Vikings wanted 297G. We have horses just south of Lahore. Abandoning that city becomes even more important. We get two luxes on line so the slider can drop for good.
Delhi: settler=>warrior=>settler
France starts the HG, the Vikings start the Great Wall.

Late – As we’re strolling through France we see an Ottoman settler pair headed south, but get kicked out before we can make contact. We lose a second warrior to a barb horse at Karachi and lose 21G. I buy WC from Joan for 135G & 3 gpt. We get the massive uprising message. I don’t ever think I’ve seen it this early, 1525 BC. The barb camp SE of Karachi now has 16 horsemen in it. I found Kolhapur where the settler stands due to the threat from the barbs. It turns out to be a fairly good location.

Bombay: barracks=>settler
Madras: worker=>temple (we should be able to keep the horses when we abandon Lahore)
Delhi: settler=>warrior
Bangalore: warrior=>barracks
Babylonians complete Zeus.

After Action – You may want to wake up the warrior in Kolhapur and allow the barbs to have their way with our new city. Lahore can be abandoned in two turns. Red, blue, and yellow are suggested city sites. Also one in the area of the white ellipse. Orange arrow indicates last position and course of the Ottoman settler pair.

Save: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads8/Mag_Seven,_1500_BC.SAV

Bede – up
Sirian – on deck

Got it.

Looks like a plan. Yellow dot first, then the others.

Move the warrior out Kohlapur and watch the Yue-Chi hordes rape, pillage and plunder. We lose ~25g and the shields on the worker (0) but the camp is emptied. The waiting warrior reclaims the gold (25G) and at least that threat is gone.

Our warrior in the north reports war between France and Mongolia, then heads west around. Lahore is abandoned and the horses remain in the boundaries.

Buy Bronze from Joan for 11gpt, no cash, as we will get back the gpt as towns are founded as roads are built. Then we can buy HBR or IW from somebody.

In 1400BC the plan for a western settlement is dashed as the French plant a town one south of it. Settler heads back to center.

The Vikings have built on the coast next to the eastern spot but the settler can move to the hill north.

In 1300 finally meet the Ottomans and Babylon.

We are still doubtful on deals for Iron and Saddles though

In 1350 found Jaipur on the hill above the river in the east.

In 1325 buy Iron Working from Joan for 90g+11gpt and we have no Iron. Closest source is in the suburbs of Paris.

We are being hemmed in by the French and the Vikings.

I whipped temples in the border towns when the population was there to do it so at least we can claoim some more useful land.

Settled Bengal on the coast in the east and Hyderabad on the coast in the west and there is another settler in Bangalore looking for a home. Building curraghs in a couple of coastal towns as our lonley explorer can't make his way across France.

Research right now is a single scientist in Hyderabad and writing is due in 2.

Sirian - up
DJMGator13 - on deck

Looks like the desert NW of Calcutta is all that is left.

There are French borders just to north. Any town in the desert would be right up against them.

We get the massive uprising message. I don’t ever think I’ve seen it this early, 1525 BC.

lurker's comment: humble request for a mapstat screenie to help out the idiot lurkers

If I'm reading this correctly, someone's moved on to the next age?

Top Bottom