Siege promotions

Should Siege unit promotions be changed to be different than Archers/Skirmishers?

• Yes

Votes: 29 90.6%
  • No

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Other/Disagree with Question/Framing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That's why I considered about against terrain bonus.

It's a good idea. But I think it's a little bit arbitrary. According to your comment, units in marsh, which get 5% defensive bonus, aren't affected by that promotion. If that promotion's ability is '10% CS bonus against enemy units in all type of terrain when attacking. Bonus will be doubled against Fort/Citadel.', it makes more sense to me even though I still don't know it is correct both balance-wise (no specific CS penalty tier 4 promotion) and historic-wise (siege weapon is good against terrain). I think making exception at Cover promotion with my suggestion (half defensive bonus) is better.
OK, if you spare cover (or any defensive) promotion, I'd be fine with your 50% reduction for defensive bonuses.

I like my ideas better by the way. Just wanted to mention that I respectful disagree.
Those are just extra promotions for filling the tree (it feels a bit empty). They aren't meant to replace the basic promotions. I like your splash damage for the basic promotion, but it needs to be a rather small effect, like +10%CS +1HP to adjacent, every one, for a +30%CS +3HP damage to adjacent in total. Or make it only work after a kill, as suggested before.

Those are just extra promotions for filling the tree (it feels a bit empty). They aren't meant to replace the basic promotions. I like your splash damage for the basic promotion, but it needs to be a rather small effect, like +10%CS +1HP to adjacent, every one, for a +30%CS +3HP damage to adjacent in total. Or make it only work after a kill, as suggested before.
Is splash damage's AoE only for the target and its back? Why total is only 3 times bigger than their actual effect?

Anyway, I like splash damage too, but I think full health thing has no point. AoE damage promotion makes against full health promotion be useless immediately.

I would also prefer some type of weak aoe effect to ignoring terrain

Again. I'm proposing more promotions, for the sake of variety. So long we have proposed:
1. AoE splash damage
2. Damage against full health units
3. Damage against naval
4. Ignoring 50% defensive terrain

I think ElliotS wants splash damage to be added to one of the basic promotions, thus there are three levels. I might be mistaken.

Aldebaran has a point in that AoE and extra damage against full health don't work well together.

+1 for AoE damage. Feels fresh and fits siege units perfectly. If it proves too powerful, it could replace the double attack promotion, couldn´t it?

As a sidenote, the idea of more damage against full health units is intriguing, would make more sense for both siege and ranged units than damage against wounded, which feels more like a melee line perk. It would be neat if archers and siege units alike would do proportionally less damage the less health the target has, but maybe it is all just too much work for too little gain.

+1 for AoE damage. Feels fresh and fits siege units perfectly. If it proves too powerful, it could replace the double attack promotion, couldn´t it?

As a sidenote, the idea of more damage against full health units is intriguing, would make more sense for both siege and ranged units than damage against wounded, which feels more like a melee line perk. It would be neat if archers and siege units alike would do proportionally less damage the less health the target has, but maybe it is all just too much work for too little gain.
I think archers should keep + damage to wounded, and siege should get plus damage to full health if they're going to have one. (Maybe replacing logistics, then again with AoE damage most units won't be full health.)

I don't like Archers and siege units sharing promotions.

I think splash damage promotion must have only +5% CS if it is basic promotion because that promotion's main purpose is not crashing a single target, but controlling horde of enemies.

Is AoE damage even possible? I know it is for Carolean Grenadiers promotion but that's melee stuff. Would the kills with that AoE count for authority/Colosseum/Jelling etc? Granted with proposed 5% CS I doubt you're killing anything, but still. Still, I like the idea of siege being better against fully healthy guys and having AoE, seems like a fun way to make those two lines varied a little more.

Will it be possible to attack bare ground with siege units if aoe gets in? Let's pretend my catapult with AoE blasts can't attack a Swordsman this turn unless I hit ground next to him. Scratching him a little is always good if I have Horsemen with +wounded damage thing.

Is AoE damage even possible? I know it is for Carolean Grenadiers promotion but that's melee stuff. Would the kills with that AoE count for authority/Colosseum/Jelling etc? Granted with proposed 5% CS I doubt you're killing anything, but still. Still, I like the idea of siege being better against fully healthy guys and having AoE, seems like a fun way to make those two lines varied a little more.

Will it be possible to attack bare ground with siege units if aoe gets in? Let's pretend my catapult with AoE blasts can't attack a Swordsman this turn unless I hit ground next to him. Scratching him a little is always good if I have Horsemen with +wounded damage thing.
If I'm developing it, no since it's Lua-based.

If I'm developing it, no since it's Lua-based.

No for yields or no for ground attack? I guess the second, I doubt that can allow attacking ground. It was extremely situational and AI'd probably have problems learning that so I guess it's not important.

No for yields or no for ground attack? I guess the second, I doubt that can allow attacking ground. It was extremely situational and AI'd probably have problems learning that so I guess it's not important.
Both anyway, if we're following the +5% of CS becomes splash damage, it's virtually like what 3 dmg at most?

For the record, splash damage is possible, but the AI is not trained to attack more than one tile. It'd benefit the human far too much to do this.
Which is what I thought, the AI couldn't be trained to understand this and it would take too much combat processing for the AI to handle. Then I remembered that siege AIs are often behind melee troops and because of that they are often surrounded by their fellow troops which if you want to penetrate their defenses, you're going to want to build up some flanking bonuses which there you go, effective splash damage.

For the record, splash damage is possible, but the AI is not trained to attack more than one tile. It'd benefit the human far too much to do this.
Didn't I recall you saying that the AI did have some logic for the Carolean's grenadiers? Would it be possible to add a siege promotion like that?

This is part of why I was advocating just a tier 4 and the splash only activating on kills

Top Bottom