1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Siege promotions

Discussion in 'Strategy Section' started by andersw, Oct 15, 2019.

1. andersw

andersw King

Whats your take on this?
    I've used my goto Siege -> Volley -> Range for ages and only recently been testing some field.
    But I feel I use archers anyway for units and want more city dmg from my siege.

Played a bit of Korea and with free logistics I tested splash, (splash 2 logistics range 3 field guns was a bit disgusting the few times it saw use).
    Do you find it worth grinding non korea siege for splash/logistics?

2. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

I use field in the early game sometimes, when units are still rare, my siege is often doing more work on units than the city. But siege volley is definitely my default

3. phantomaxl1207

phantomaxl1207 King

Siege is better and more efficient (no surprise); Field just happens to have Logistics. Though you would need 2+ Promotions on the Field line to contend with Siege line. Splash is good at helping you clear out Units for a Siege.

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Korea loves field, for other civs it is more niche but it has purposes. Sometimes you do end up using siege weapons against units. Military CS love to give me siege weapons and I typically don't want more than 3 or 4 city killers so I can end up giving those field.

5. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

Siege have range, Field have logistics. I prefer range over logistics on siege weapons.

6. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

I use field promotions in the cannon garrisons for my coastal cities.

vyyt likes this.
  7. andersw

andersw King

After I realised how to name units (after playing this for years) a variety of promos became easier to keep track of.
    Current game I went with 2 of each and it mostly works fine, they do a good job vs units, and I feel lowers the requirement for archers.
    Otherwise I'd have too many archers in the back line doing not much, with field the siege can do double duty.

8. andersw

andersw King

Range, indirect fire and volley) are available on both sides, Field however have much smaller bonuses.

Field is +5%/+10% vs wounded with -30% on logistics.
    Siege is +10%/+15 vs cities.
    Since they stack and 3 siege+volley is +30 vs all with an extra +95 vs cities for a whopping +125 vs cities in total.
    A 3 field + logistics is 2x -15vs any or +15 vs wounded.

(Its a rough grind for that logistics range splash 2 unit.)

9. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

These days I almost always go Field, because it has both Logistics and Range. So it's "worse" at first and suddenly at level 4 and especially 5+ it's amazing.

10. andersw

andersw King

Yeah I think it depends a bit on what civ, if you have opportunity to grab a LOT of exp, shaka and sweden or very drawn out wars then I'd probably go more field.

11. saamohod

saamohod Prince

12. azum4roll

azum4roll King

I ended up having 4-range logistic volley artillery after grabbing every war-oriented tenet in Autocracy. Very destructive and efficient since they can shoot from outside of enemy borders.

vyyt likes this.
  13. andersw

andersw King

14. andersw

andersw King

Yes I tend to win before social policys, maybe that means I need to up difficulty?
    Wars are already grindy enough on emperor tho.

15. azum4roll

azum4roll King

I'm playing France on King, so it's easy to rush through social policies like it's nothing. (51 turns of +40% production/culture bonuses atm)
    At 13 authority in early atomic era, winning culturally because the Aztecs filled their land with lancers and they had Red Fort, and England and Russia were in another continent.

16. Craigsttaa24

Craigsttaa24 Chieftain

I used to take all city promotions, and have recently changed to taking almost all field promotions. Repeating a bit on what has been said already, but I'll add some details:

1. When taking field, siege weapons double as ranged units, largely eliminating the need for further ranged units.

2. I find myself attacking units more than cities. Killing the units is the priority. Once the AI's units are largely eliminated, it's then a straight forward and easy task to surround and take the city. But clearing the units out of the way is the hard part.

3. Logistics! My promotion path is almost always Field III > Range > Logistics. Why? Because of XP. Range will always be king, because it allows the unit to attack more frequently by bringing more enemies into range, increases the the survivability of the unit by keeping it out of range, and allows for greater concentration of fire per turn by allowing another ranged unit to fill the 2 tile away slot. But after range, always logistics. The strength is decreased 30% per attack, but XP is doubled! Playing as a warmonger, I am taking Elite Forces under autocracy (+50% combat XP), and also getting the oil strategic monopoly (+2 XP). All combined, every ranged attack is now 5 XP (2+1+2). So if a logistics unit can attack twice, it is now accruing 10 XP per turn. And an artillery can attack twice most turns without moving with having 4 range. The unit becomes pretty unstoppable. Pretty soon, it's easy to backfill the city promotions with all the XP. **I don't know if this is optimal play, but I do it because it's really fun getting the highly promoted units.

3.5. It's worth mentioning that Blitz on ships is even better with this XP strategy. Once I can produce a ship off the line with Blitz (Military Academy + Order + Bradenburg Gate) it becomes really easy to get a fleet with both the boarding party line AND hit points / city capture line. I just produce a Blitz melee ship by going BP III > Blitz. Attack a city twice per turn is 18 XP (5+2+2)! There is really no risk of loss as the ship can move out of range after attacking due to the blitz promotion. If you can get a blitz ship with the full hit point promotion line and dauntless, it will never sink. Fun times!

I have never found splash very useful. 5 hit points (on immediately adjacent units only i believe) doesn't seem to make an impact to me. It is generally considered to be a good promo? That would surprise me.

17. andersw

andersw King

I've used it as korea, it was very nice ... with drawbacks.
    You need to be in range of all units that could take splash damage which makes it sort of useless unless you have range 3.
    Range and splash 2 is ... a LOT of exp even for korea.
    Good thing is that AI prefers to retreat with injured units which makes splash 2 very effective to force the AI to move out of an area.
    Can be combined with overrun splash for nice results if terrain allows.

18. Omen of Peace

Omen of Peace Prince

Splash seems pretty cool for the late game, when you have Artillery of doom (range 4, Splash 2): with 2-3 of those you can really do a number on clumped armies.

The other use I see is that in injuring slightly adjacent units you get to trigger the Field bonus against wounded units when you next attack them. Otherwise a Field unit attack against a Hale unit is inefficient.

So it's good (has synergies) for siege-heavy army compositions.

19. pineappledan

pineappledan Deity

funny, I end up doing the opposite. I use siege early game and switch to field when military academies are up. After that, my units start with field III and only need a little more for range/logistics. If the next civ I am invading has arsenals up, I prefer going logistics. You end up having to punch Arsenal cities a lot anyways, so you end up grinding a lot of XP from them.

vyyt and Kim Dong Un like this.
  20. tu_79

tu_79 Deity

This is it. Before renaissance you need at least a couple of siege units able to bring down city walls fast. Otherwise, AI will rebuild the army and force us into an attrition war.