1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Siege Warfare in RoM

Discussion in 'RoM Strategy & Tips' started by ruskyandrei, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ruskyandrei

ruskyandrei Warlord

Hello there,

So, i've been playing Civ4 for a while now and decided to try out some of the mods, and after trying RoM i couldn't go back ;)

It's really great and with Aforess's AND it runs quite smoothly even with really big maps and lots of civs.

My post is not about the tech named Siege Warfare, rather a general inquiry about how this works/has been changed in RoM.

In my current game (Marathon, Huge, 21 Civs), it is ~200 AD and i have a stack stationed outside the capital of my enemy.
    It is size 10, has 140% def, has walls, and a few light swords, archers and spears.
    My stack is 5 catapults, 6 swords and 1 longbow + 1 xbow.

My intention was to just whittle his huge def modifier down by bombarding with my catapults and then do some ranged bombardment to prepare the city for invasion.

However, after 3 turns of bombarding his defense has not gone down at all ( i didn't really expect it to get to 0% in 2 turns but it's as if my 5 catapults are not even making a dent).

Tried ranged bombarding his troops instead but it's the same (Log says "Defenses in X City have been lowered to 140%" once for each catapult)

So how does this work ? He might have high walls, couldn't tell from looking at it they were normal or high, i dont think he has a castle but he might.

Would him having high walls + castle render his city impervious to catapult siege damage ?
    Also how does ranged bombarding (for collateral damage) work when attacking a city ?
    Does the defense need to be taken down to 0% first before the units inside take any damage ?
    Is there any difference between using ranged bombard and actually marching my siege unit into an enemy stack/city ?

2. Mithris

Mithris Chieftain

3. ruskyandrei

ruskyandrei Warlord

Thank you.