Silly Challenges / Meme Runs

Ad_McD

Chieftain
Hi everybody! 👋🏽

Long time player, first time poster ☺️

I recently started trying to play the game in as silly fashion as possible, and had an absolute blast making this video trying to win without building any cities:

(I hope this doesn't count as advertising 😬)

As a generally lazy person, I am enjoying the motivation to keep making silly videos, and would love to hear everybody's suggestions for silly challenges or 'meme runs' in Civ 1 to attempt 😜

Thanks and regards to all my fellow Civilians ✌🏽

Ad_McD

Hi everybody! 👋🏽

Long time player, first time poster ☺️

I recently started trying to play the game in as silly fashion as possible, and had an absolute blast making this video trying to win without building any cities:

(I hope this doesn't count as advertising 😬)

As a generally lazy person, I am enjoying the motivation to keep making silly videos, and would love to hear everybody's suggestions for silly challenges or 'meme runs' in Civ 1 to attempt 😜

Thanks and regards to all my fellow Civilians ✌🏽

Ad_McD

I had an idea last night to attempt a "Marxist Utopia" and build a city on every tile, but I don't recall if it's possible to build cities adjacently.

I imagine if it was, Population would cap at 1 for each city unless you were on a nice tile?

I will have to check when I get back in front of my DOS Box..

Neat! I was sure you'd do a bit of save reloading to get more troops out of the hut, but in the end you didn't need them. Also fortunate to get all 3 civs including respawns on one landmass. Did it take many attempts to get?

You can indeed build cities next to each other, but yeah, they'd all take tiles from each other and none of them would grow as you say.

Neat! I was sure you'd do a bit of save reloading to get more troops out of the hut, but in the end you didn't need them. Also fortunate to get all 3 civs including respawns on one landmass. Did it take many attempts to get?

You can indeed build cities next to each other, but yeah, they'd all take tiles from each other and none of them would grow as you say.

Right?! The stars truly did align on this one. I think from memory I did about 5 or 6 odd attempts using Customize World with Large Landmass setting to no avail, and this run I actually hit Enter too many times on startup and accidentally started a regular game 😆

I wonder if having all adjacent cities will screw with the movement calculations at all 🧐

Upon review, I didn't realise the win screen newspaper was titled

"The NONE Tribune" 😯

@6:22

This game is very interesting, I've seen it from start to finish. Now for the record of civilizations.

The difficulty I imagine is the easiest.

This game is very interesting, I've seen it from start to finish. Now for the record of civilizations.

The difficulty I imagine is the easiest.

Much appreciated ✌🏽

Yeah just Chieftain. I wasn't even sure it could be done so there was no reason in my mind for ramping up the difficulty.

It was hard enough getting a game where everybody spawned on the same island 😅

Man, this video is just too good.

Do you have more challenges of this type in mind?
I loved watching the video. Never in my life would it have occurred to me to try to win in this way.

You guys are too kind 💙

I did a couple of proof on concept runs last night building all cities adjacently.

I think it's possible to win, but it definitely has a few quirks I have to think about:

- Cities in the centre of The Mass do indeed cap at 1, and will constantly declare famine, but will not collapse. I could still pump Settlers out of them, but if they declared famine before I could build another city I would lose the Settler.

- I settled a lone Forest Tile near the centre of one of my Collectives, but the city instantly collapsed. Subsequent attempts to change tile type took too long before the home city declared famine and I would lose the Settler, so I will need to be changing the landscape as 'It' expands.

- It looks like it creates a RailRoad link between all the cities, and movement is indeed extended, but not infinite.

- Strangely fast research speed. I was learning a Tech every second turn and it didn't seem natural.

- I imagine if you balance the tax rate right, you would be able to insta-buy units across the board and Zerg yourself an army in 1 turn.

I lost one run because Barbarian Cavalry appeared out of nowhere and took everything in one turn 😂
So the defensive strategy still needs work - only the exterior cities would need garrisons, though.

Last edited:
Do you have more challenges of this type in mind?
I loved watching the video. Never in my life would it have occurred to me to try to win in this way.

Only other challenge types I can think of are limiting in some way:

- Beat "insert difficulty here" using only Militia?

- Beat game using only Nukes or similarly uncommon item?

- Luxury Run on 0% Science and rely on Diplomats to steal tech?

Open to any and all suggestions! None are too silly 😝

Just thought of another one:

Civ Snake.

Can only build next to your last city, and you must build up to and "collect" enemy cities.

You may build diagonally.

You may not cross back over a line created by your City Snake.

Another challenge could be the following:

When I was little and I got this game, apart from not understanding any English, I didn't know how to play and I didn't even know how to change the production so I could only build what the city selected by default.

Therefore, my favorite cities were not the biggest or the ones that built the best, they were the cities that I conquered and that had the best units in production.
I suggest you play this way, without being able to change the production of the city, only the one given by default, so you can never use the "change" button or press the "c" key.

Easiest level and 7 civilizations.

The greatest difficulty will be to conquer a city that has transport units in production by default (trirreme, sail, frigate or transport)

This is how I played when I was little, in fact, before I founded the cities one next to the other, since I did not know the concept of exterior production land and thought that only the city box was necessary.

My learning process of this game was very very slow, there were no guides, tutorials, youtube and all the facilities and help that there are today, I could not have nor could I understand the game manual.

another absurd challenge:

you can't build any units (it would be advisable to start the game with 2 settlers to defend the city with one of them at the beginning), you can only create 1 diplomat that you can use as you want (bribe units and cities).

* If the diplomat dies you cannot create more.

Easiest level, 3 civilizations and only 1 city.

Last edited:
Just won a game building on every tile and taking over an entire peninsula 😂

Can confirm the income / science stream is huuuuuuge. I teched to tanks lightning quick and bought 1 from each city for an instant army 🤣

Just need to refine the build and then I will record some attempts.

Also tested your Mongol rush @rhaul, I think I can get this one as well 👌🏽

The Isles Campaign

1. You start on Earth as English and can at first only colonize the various isles, you are not permitted to settle on the Eurasian and American mainland before 1000 AD, you can expand into Australia after 1 AD.

2. No foreign trade (optional, especially on levels above Emperor).

3. No bribery or revolts.

4. Manual rules, meaning no cheating, exploits, or using any clever offbeat tricks or undocumented features you couldn’t figure out by just reading the manual or playing the game for the first time (so for example buying a building, then switching to a military unit is permitted since it is a patently obvious trick whereas things like railroads on water are prohibited).

5. At least Emperor level.

I've recently completed a successful run building a Mass of adjacent cities and overwhelming the map with Militia 😂

Just editing now, but an unlucky respawn turned it into a long run so I have a bit of footage to get through 🥴

Top Bottom