Silly Habits YOU've Made in Civilization 4.

Sanguivorant

Submitter
This thread is here for sharing these strange, weird, sometimes silly habits that us as Civ players have made during our gaming career. It could range from how you play to what you do when you play. What silly habits have you made?

There are a few silly habits I've taken up:

Naming units according to their promotion. Depending on promotions I give my units, they will have a prefix.

So a mace man with woodsman promotion will have 'Ambush' as their prefix, making their name Ambush Mace Man. The prefix will also have a prefix depending on the level of promotion. So level three woodsman promotion will be an Elite Ambush Mace man.

Units with more than two types of promotions will have the prefix 'Versatile' to complement their name.

Units with a great general will also either have the prefix "Heroic" or "Commander" depending on the era.

I've actually made an entire naming system for this, and I've gotten into the habit of doing this for each of my units. On the plus side, I guess it gives me more time to think about my promotions and my turns.

So here's one silly habit I have. Care to share yours?

I shuffle around city names for flavor, e.g. Atlanta and Miami will always be coastal cities, my best military production city when playing Greece is Sparta, and St.Petersburg gets renamed to Leningrad when I'm adopting State Property as Russia. Furthermore as Russia I like to rename conquered cities after ones owned by other east-bloc countries, for example Minsk, Warsaw and Kiev.
No names for units though, except in PBEMs where there is a larger incentive to micro.

I name my first warrior with woodsman II an enslaver. Once it gets to the axe status, I call it super enslaver.

if i have a tec lead and i have just got rifling i sometimes put my sliders at 0% a few turns so i can get money to upgrade axeman and swordsmen.also works with macemen and musketmen but is alot cheaper.

The first warrior to survive a tough battle, like a bear attack in open plains, I name him Conan. I started this in Civ3 and continued it into Civ4. This is great when it's my starting warrior. Conan protects his ancient kingdom. :)

A unit I plan to promote up the woods chain, has Woods added in front of it's name. (Woods Axeman)
A unit I plan to promote up the guerilla chain, has Hills added in front of it's name. (Hills Archer)
A unit I plan to promote up the both chains, has Ranger added to the end of it's name. (Gallic Ranger)
A unit that has made it to woods3/guerilla3, has Assassin added to the end of it's name. (Gallic Assassin)
Any of these could specialize in anti-shock, city attack or city defense as well.

Usually this is in always war games, when I have a CHA leader, typically unrestricted. I am playing one now as Cyrus of Celtia. My friend is Charlemange of Celtia. He can build his Duns faster, I get promotions faster and we both get GGs faster. :)

I put suffixes on my city names to denote national wonders and airports.

e.g. Atlanta ....will always be coastal cities.

As a native Atlantan, that's a bit of a head scratcher, since it is far from being a coastal city, and you have plenty of other real coastal cities, like Miami...and NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Seattle, San Fran, Tampa, to name some of the biggies. Curious as to your logic. (And yeah, Georgia has coast, but Atlanta is several hours from it) On the other hand, Atlanta should always have an airport ;)

On the other hand, Atlanta should always have an airport ;)
So should Philadelphia. But units flying into/out of that airport will loose their luggage. :lol:

As an native Atlantan, that's a bit of a head scratcher, since it is far from being a coastal city, and you have plenty of other real coastal cities, like Miami...and NY, LA, Chicago, Houston, Boston, Seattle, San Fran, Tampa, to name some of the biggies. Curious as to your logic. (And yeah, Georgia has coast, but Atlanta is several hours from it) On the other hand, Atlanta should always have an airport ;)

Maybe Atlanta should always be a major cultural (city)center?

Seeing as I'm from Georgia if I'm playing as America I make certain to name the city I have planned for the Forbidden Palace Atlanta.

1. I keep the room dark when I play, except for a candle or two.
2. I always wear bunny slippers when I play.
3. I usually name my cities after psychiatric medications or conditions. (ex. "Neurosisville")

I dont know if that counts but playing CIV always gets me hungry - all those food resources there ... I means I know I should have snacks in moderation but they are soo good ^^ :blush:

1. I keep the room dark when I play, except for a candle or two.
2. I always wear bunny slippers when I play.
3. I usually name my cities after psychiatric medications or conditions. (ex. "Neurosisville")

For some reason, I just got a little more concerned about LM's mental state. ;)
I picture hundreds of pill containers stacked up near his her computer and him her searching for his her antipsychotic medication and screaming Darn that Montezuma!!!!. ;)

...I just got a little more concerned about LM's .....
stacked up near his computer and him searching for his antipsychotic medication....

I'd be more concerned about those pronouns:lol::queen:

As an native Atlantan, that's a bit of a head scratcher, since it is far from being a coastal city

*Confused, decides to look it up on Google Maps* :confused:
... :eek:
MY WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIE! :cry:
But but but it has the Atlantic in the name and I figured it would therefore be close to the ocean. :blush:

*Confused, decides to look it up on Google Maps* :confused:
... :eek:
MY WHOLE LIFE WAS A LIE! :cry:
But but but it has the Atlantic in the name and I figured it would therefore be close to the ocean. :blush:

Interestingly, if Atlanta is actually named from Atlantic (as a feminine form), it's due to a Railroad as opposed to the ocean itself directly. Another possibility is the huntress Atalanta, either directly or as a namesake of the daughter of the founder. (That daughter was named Martha Atalanta Lumpkin and Atlanta's second name -prior to Atlanta itself - was Marthasville. The first was Terminus...as in Railroad)

I NEVER cheat. I never go into world builder to change anything. I never reload.
I feel the game is broken and have lost its magic if I do any of the above, even if loading a couple of turns back could have saved an otherwise good game. Then I would rather quit/restart.

This is particularly silly as I do a lot of modding.
I do run small tests in worldbuilder to see if a newly added unit/function works as intended, but never during a game. I also do use the Ctrl+z to view the progress of AI's, but I make sure I dont see any of my own land or future land in doing so.

I dont know if that counts but playing CIV always gets me hungry - all those food resources there ... I means I know I should have snacks in moderation but they are soo good ^^ :blush:

Totally ageed!! And I play nothing if there is too much light in the room -> Lights off!! I also like to sing all those cool diplo-musics and the background music. My favourites are Sally's and Ottomans' diplo musics! :lol:

For some reason, I just got a little more concerned about LM's mental state. ;)
I picture hundreds of pill containers stacked up near his computer and him searching for his antipsychotic medication and screaming Darn that Montezuma!!!!. ;)

It's Monty who needs the medication, not me. She said. :lol:

Top Bottom