1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Silly Habits YOU've Made in Civilization 4.

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Sanguivorant, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Osiron

Osiron Chieftain

I haven't been here long, but I thought building roads to improved resources was a no-brainer. It's easier to get a one-MP unit out to where enemies appear. If something happens to an improved resource, either from special events or enemy pillaging, it's quicker to get out there and fix it. Plus, a road is one more thing the AI can't resist pillaging, so if you're stretched thin, it'll buy your other improvements some time.

I'm starting to realize that some of the other things I do are "bad habits," though. I never build just one worker-- I build a stack of four, because I want my tiles improved NOW!! :p

I also had an aversion to slavery, but when I got BTS a month ago, I got over it.

2. KrzTeKILL

KrzTeKILL Chieftain

No one else always always always always have to have their own religion and never ever ever ever convert to a foreigner's?

3. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Yup. That's what the LR check box is for :mischief:

4. KrzTeKILL

KrzTeKILL Chieftain

LR check box?

5. The7Sins

The7Sins Hungry Burger

Speaking of roads another weird habit I have is on the occasions I decide to build a National Park city I never put railroads on the tiles with Forest Preserves. I keep them as roads.

6. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

LR = Limited Religions, available in most mods

7. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Thanks for specifying "on most mods"
    I would have been searching for this one otherwise. ;)

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

NP. I figured if I just left it at Limited Reli, most peeps would have been scratching their heads and asking what the <bleep> I've been smoking :crazyeye:

On a side note, I always seem to play with LR active. Which apparently qualifies for another silly habit ( I seem to have so many).

9. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

When I take over an opposing civ's cities I rename them so they look more like my civ's city names. For example if I'm playing as the Aztecs I will add some x's and i's and if I'm playing as the Vikings I will add some j's, k's, ø, ö, etc. So Bejing becomes Behxi if I'm the Aztecs and Bëjki if I'm the Vikings. I don't worry about it if they're not pronounceable.

10. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Like the Aztec city names are pronounceable to begin with? :D

11. paulcarri

paulcarri Prince

I do that as well...i know it isnt always efficient, but i tend to do it

I tend to prebuild trebuchets as well, a bad habit i guyss

12. pomthom

pomthom Drive & Reverb

Cute habit, I think I'm going to try this one :lol:

13. Silv Something

Silv Something Pi(e) Loving Maniac

Touché. ;)

14. yturk39

yturk39 Warlord

1) I name my initial workers based on the type of improvements they make, like "Ashram the Farmer". If I capture a worker I'll try to give it a name that sounds like it came from the Civ I captured it from, and a moniker that identifies the city / civ I stole it from ("Gracchus of Cumae", "Gracchus the Roman"). If I'm angry at that Civ, the moniker is less nice ("Gracchus the Fool", "Gracchus the Greedy", "Gracchus the Humbled")

2) I name my individual improvements. Things like mines can get named after the terrain type, whether they're near a river or other terrain feature I've already named, whether they have a resource, the worker who built it, the warrior who was out scouting WHILE the worker was building it, whether or not multiple workers built it together, etc. I may rename them if they get razed or if they help me build a wonder. Mines are always "mines", either. Sometimes they're "Catacombs", or "Graves", or "Caves".

3) If there's (what I think is) a particularly interesting geographic feature, I'll name it too. Natural Wonders.

3) Combat units don't get monikers until they have two promotions. They just get (what I think sound like) names from the Civ I'm playing. When playing Japan, they often end up with motor vehicle names (Mitsubishi, Daihatsu, Kawasaki). The monikers are related to the promotions also, or maybe how the experience was won. Higher promoted units get additional titles like chief, lord, king that reflect how high up they are.

5) I'll send a scout to a foreign capital, click on him so he says something (for example: "Tell me what to do!") then immediately open a diplomatic dialog with that leader. It's especially fun when they respond with "What can humble [us] do for the mighty [you]?" It's almost like we're trying to teach each other our languages. Rinse and repeat. It can be a lot of fun.

15. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

yturk39:
    Your maps must be littered with sign posts&#8230;. or do you have another method of naming these things?

16. yturk39

yturk39 Warlord

If the geography and improvement type are the same and adjacent to each other (with the exception of cottages) I'll often give them the same single name, and maybe only label one of the improvements. Since I tend to have my camera zoomed in pretty close most of the time, the signposts everywhere don't bother me that much.

17. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

1. Avoid catching any other religions. Close borders if you see a missionary coming.
    2. Oracle Theocracy
    3. Missionary SPAAAAAAM!
    4. Raze the Holy Cities of every other religion.

And that's how I play Isabella. :)

18. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Deity

There's a certain historical accuracy to that. I'm impressed.:goodjob:

19. TezaPsyborg

TezaPsyborg Warlord

Yeah I do this too, I don't mind adopting someone elses religion early on but once I found my own then I spread 'mine' about and convert.

I like your thinking style there :goodjob: I often find myself thinking along similar lines...

:think: I want that Civ as an ally because it's weaker than me but occupies a strategic location. I must 'infect it' with my religion to boost relations, plus the extra shrine gold.

Damn!!! City X has 'caught' religion Y and I wanted that to be my shrine city for religion Z that I found [pissed]

:mad: Dammit that rival civ keeps 'infecting' my cities with it's religion. It's got to go... Oi you!! GET OFF MY MAP!!! :hammer:

20. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnn. Interesting. Following these thoughts, if I get Izzy near me I'll rush build Schweddy Palace and then switch to theo. Spam Holy Joe's at her, get her to convert, then let her spam her evil black heart out.