Sim City (4) Succession Session!

Its good to see this series back! But unfortunately i'm in the middle of my assignments and we're about to start our study month before the exams, so i'll just be lurking, probally for the best anyways as im kinda bad at posting my updates, I wish this the best of success however :)

Hey, if somebody wants to take it now there is absolutely not problem from me, i probably wont play it until mid next week or so. And anyway i have not much idea about what to do to fix the mess (except demolishing a lot, i like demolishing things). Maybe Quintillus wants to play it before me since he obviously has some clue.

BTW, which scenery are we using? i would like to import Eden Prime too, so we can increase jobs and growth building some industries there, since both cities are connected IIRC. Can we become super-warriors super-mayors and play both cities in the same turn?

I'll be honest, when I pm'd you a couple of days ago I didn't think there'd wouldn't be nearly as much interest as there was and there's been a bit of a change of plan since then. I'm trying to find the fairest way to do this, so just hold up while we all agree a running order that everyone's content with.

Well I got your messag yesterday night (central european time) so its not couple of days... But its okay. Decide order and lets rebuilt what is left.

Sorry to mess you about like this; I honestly thought people would be more annoyed than excited at the prospect of cleaning up the mess I made.

How about this: I offer it up to Mythmonster as it's been the longest since he's been mayor, then you, then Thorgalaeg (since he's busy atm) then Quintillus, then me again?

Sorry again, I'm bad at this, I know.

BTW, which scenery are we using? i would like to import Eden Prime too, so we can increase jobs and growth building some industries there, since both cities are connected IIRC. Can we become super-warriors super-mayors and play both cities in the same turn?

You can download the entire region I'm using here (it's quite a big file, well it took me about 30 minute to download, anyway) and just extract the entire folder to documents/Sim City 4/regions.

And, yeah you can play either city, or both (I was going to play both until Fort Consternation became... challenging). 5 years in one, then 5 years in the other, that kind of thing.

I wouldn't mind having a third city on the go, too, at some point but Eden Prime's only had one mayor so far.

Its okay.

And yes I felt annoyed first but then I saw it as a challenge because of it has been ed so hard I find it even comical. Maybe long break also helps to deal with it.

What I really wish to keep my intrest up: update inside one week. If person is so busy he cant play couple of hours in one week then he should not play at all.

edit: and I have update my NAM. What NAM are we using and can I have link on it?

Peck of Arabia said:
How about this: I offer it up to Mythmonster as it's been the longest since he's been mayor, then you, then Thorgalaeg (since he's busy atm) then Quintillus, then me again?
That is OK for me.
You can download the entire region I'm using here (it's quite a big file, well it took me about 30 minute to download, anyway) and just extract the entire folder to documents/Sim City 4/regions.

And, yeah you can play either city, or both (I was going to play both until Fort Consternation became... challenging). 5 years in one, then 5 years in the other, that kind of thing.

I wouldn't mind having a third city on the go, too, at some point but Eden Prime's only had one mayor so far.
Thanks. But it is 43 mb only. It took me 10 seconds to download. Are you on dial-up?

Time to come out of retirement. My stadium complex and legacy in tatters. Need to redownload again but count another mayor in your ranks.

State of the art rail network here we come.

Oh boy, this'll be interesting. I suppose I will accept the reins and face this new administration. Gonna be a bumpy ride.

What I really wish to keep my intrest up: update inside one week. If person is so busy he cant play couple of hours in one week then he should not play at all.

edit: and I have update my NAM. What NAM are we using and can I have link on it?

agreed; there's quite a bit of interest in fixing this city up so hopefully that'll keep things moving. If things look like they're slowing down I'll do a bit more prodding this time to keep it moving. (including prodding myself)

I've lost track of what version of NAM we're on: the most recent one can be found here and I'm on the version or two before that but I think they got a good backwards compatibility so it shouldn't be a problem

That is OK for me.

Thanks. But it is 43 mb only. It took me 10 seconds to download. Are you on dial-up?

The internet here is so bad I may as well be on dial-up:gripe:

I'd recommend everyone downloads the region; it's nice to give Fort Consternation and Eden Prime a bit of (shared) context

Time to come out of retirement. My stadium complex and legacy in tatters. Need to redownload again but count another mayor in your ranks.

State of the art rail network here we come.

yeah... about the stadium; at least it's still standing (just about)

Glad to have you back on board!

Oh boy, this'll be interesting. I suppose I will accept the reins and face this new administration. Gonna be a bumpy ride.

This is going to be fun :popcorn:

After escaping to New Eden and presiding as its (thus far) only mayor, mythmonster2 had it pretty good. The town was away from the hustle and bustle of the large city, and it was progressing fairly decently. However, when Fort Consternation's decline began, he was interested. Apparently, the issue began when Peck, with good intentions, attempted to clean up the mess of pipes Myth himself had left trying to deal with the water issue. However, it took far too long, and by the time Peck left, the city was a disaster. In desperate need for a mayor, Myth stood up once more, ready to take the rule of the city once more.

The first thing that he noticed was that there was not a lot of money. The city had not even a thousand dollars to his name, and the revenue was also just under a thousand. With the only thing in demand being dirty industry, but with almost all of the habitable area of the city filled, this was quite a conundrum. It was while touring the city (noticing that the volcano that had ruined his previous rule had been built over), that he noticed large portions of the industrial areas were abandoned manufacturers and high-tech factories. So, with the limited funds available, Myth began ordering the destruction of many abandoned manufacturing and high-tech areas.

As it turns out, this paid off. When the abandoned buildings were destroyed, dirty industries would move in and, more importantly, pay taxes. Every month, the revenue slowly climbed, and the money would be spent on reclaiming more abandoned land. Unfortunately, soon, he received the news that the power demand was dangerously close to meeting capacity.

While he would have liked to promote clean energy, these were still desperate times. In fact, even for a measly coal plant, it would take several months of hoarding money before, finally, Crisis Memorial Power Plant could be constructed.

Soon afterwards, a fire broke out. Fortunately, the fire departments either had not been cut or had been cut and restored, so it was no issue. Another one broke out just days after, but that too was stopped by the firefighters.

By the end of his first year in office, the city was making a comfortable $3,000 a month, though most of that would be immediately spent on demolishing abandoned buildings. However, some of it was put towards education, especially in the eastern half of town. Several schools were given enough funding to teach the kids in the immediate area, for it was decided to keep bus spending at 0.

Year 2 passed without much note. It was the same routine of bringing in dirty industry to fund the tax base, and slowly but surely the population rose. Unfortunately, people need power, and therefore another few months' revenue had to be spent on another power plant in the southeast corner of the city limits. In a bit of a foul mood at the time, Myth named it Effing Power Plant. As a spot of good news, though, before the end of Year 2, the city was once again over 300,000 people strong. The surplus increased, as well, and so at the behest of his advisers, waste spending was introduced once more.

Year 3 saw the city continue to grow slowly. The surplus increased enough that Myth felt confidence to reopen some hospitals, again in the east part of town. The largest thing of note during the year was that at some point, the surplus somehow turned into a $1,000 deficit all at once. Education was cut to keep the city afloat, and the surplus returned in short order.

Year 4 saw another power crisis. As was worryingly become routine, several months of revenue were saved up to fund Dead Polar Bears Plant, accompanying Effing Power Plant in the corner of the city.

In year 5, another rash of fires broke out throughout the city. After handling them, Myth decided to encourage people to check their smoke detectors. The program cost about $400, but the budget could certainly take it by this point. Finally, to see if the power problem could be alleviated for a while longer, Myth finished his term with the construction of an oil power plant, named Dead Dinos Plant. Hopefully, the issue of power could be solved by some other mayor.

Final Budget

Statistics:
Cash: $488 (-$507)
Mayor Rating: 11/12 (+1)
Population: 326,783 (+72,091!)
Surplus/month: $961 (+$225)

Apologies for the rather boring round, guys. I basically spent most of it going around the city and demolishing abandoned buildings and building power plants. I was honestly surprised the population increased by that much, considering there were no new zones or much of anything. Power is a major issue facing us, since it almost seems like we need a new plant every year. However, education, health, and waste funding at least exist now. The eastern area of the city, which I think is downtown, has its schools and hospitals all able to serve the people within immediate distance. Hopefully, the next mayors will be able to expand that service and do things more exciting than I.

Link to city

Not very informative update but seems like city is heading into better direction. Lets see what I can do for city :king:

Why are there power shortages? What happened to the previous hi-tech powerplants?

Why are there power shortages? What happened to the previous hi-tech powerplants?

They got too old and had to be demolished. Also there were shortace of income so no-one had money to rebuild them.

edit: I played my turn and it went really well! story will be posted tomorrow

Calads second term: The

of Dark President

Second Terms Official Sountrack

Spoiler :
Evening my audience. I am your new leader now, you will know me as Bane.

I have a list of reforms this city needs badly, hear me well.

Public health care

-suspended-

Education

-suspended-

State police

-suspended-

State fire department

-suspended-

Also now driving has become chargeable and curfew has been enabled.
Some improvisations have been made as well.

From this day state police and firemen has been replaced by my personal army and a new prison is built. It is located on north-east part of this city, known as Arkham Asylum. Feel free to protest, my men will assist your entry there…

Spoiler :

And here my term starts…

FT. Consternation had seen better times. When arriving in office the city was in utterly decay. Almost all schools were closed, hospitals were left without funding, middle-class was destroyed, all rich had fled, there was no high tech industry anymore, majority of city was abandon, power plants were failing and city had infrastructure of 600 000 for barely above 300 000. How painful and unthankful had mythmonster2’s term had been I could not comprehend. Basically everything was failing or was utterly neglected.

City’s decay is perfectly idealized when the White House is filled on crack smoking hobos. First residents of new asylum arrived soon after his entry. A small police kiosk was built next to it to keep hobos out, named hobos out kiosk.

To kick city move, a loan had to be taken.

First action to put city under effective control was to demolish all non-used government buildings. 62% of all hospitals were blown up. 100% of all medical centers were destroyed. Of education numberless amount of abandoned schools, libraries and other facilities were demolished.

However this did not bring any cash to city’s coffers. What followed next was even more radical: demolition of majority of police and fire stations. Only largest stations were allowed to be kept, all local minor stations were blown up. Result was huge areas inside city were now utterly out of governments control and number crime and fires rose. However money started to flow back to city.

This picture is from end of my term. See all those hospitals, that’s all there is left. But that’s not the main point. See ALL those high tower without color? They are all abandon apartment buildings. FT. Consternation basically is a ghost city. Entire suburban regions of city are inhabited, or controlled by criminal syndicates and other foul creatures.

Final radical actions were to limit freedoms of citizens. All citizens were forced move from various places to closer central city. No small satellite cities anymore. Had they a nice home, too bad, it was demolished to make room for dirty industry. City was full of apartments but they are empty.

Roads were blocked by tolls; whatever money you had now belongs to government!
And night life was forbidden. Welcome to Asylum if police meets you!

After looking trough all police building I noticed there was no prison in city! A special place was opened for all criminals...
Soon after demolished large numbers of fire stations fires started to break out. I swear I never had this many fires total in SimCity 4 history; I did not bother to take picture of every flaming house. City simply is huge; largely abandon and stations are far from each other. Some houses burned down because it took too long time firemen to arrive there. Criminality however rose only a bit.

Fire!

All possible money was needed. Missile base was re-opened near space port and rather cleverly named to calm citizens down… Moon rocket spare parts!

Like most of mythmonster2’s term. I also spend most of time demolishing old buildings and making room for industry. However because of total collapse of education virtually all citizens are uneducated thus they can be only employed by dirty industry. But hope is here!

New schools were also opened and private schools were re-located for better use. University and colleges were re-opened. Also all remaining hospitals got government funding.

Museum was also re-opened and named. Lets it stand there until end of times, and I will curse that person who disturbs is to suffer more horrible governorship than previous ruler!

Wherever I demolished abandon apartments new factories rose! This will take a long time, many new terms to re-educate citizens. Lack of fund is the biggest problem and for every school built you need two new. Population simply is so huge.

One thing I did not understand why ports and airport were closed? Industry no can possible flourish if those facilities are not active. Now they are opened. However road is rocky.

At end of my term I could no longer ignore sorry state of coal plant. First I found plants conditioned 60%, I thought that was bad but behind mountains majority of plants were quickly going under 40%! Most of my time on fifth year I replaced all plants by new ones, thus helping a lot of future rulers. That also saved plenty of money.

Finally there were some signs of recovery. I was surprised that people wanted to return here. If next ruler is wise maybe middle-class and rich people will return.

That’s all of Dark President. No colossal legacy buildings, but healthy economy and small growth. Whoever shall be next ruler he can choose any path he wants and be successful.

Future is ours; it just needs a lot of work! Space program may not be wisest spending target, but it reminds us of Golden Era of this city.

Final sight of revitalized Ft. Consternation. It looks like a Gotham city, but budget is strongly positive!

Statistics:
Cash: $6414 (+$5926)
Mayor Rating: 6/12 (-5)
Population: 347,414 (+6,3%)
Surplus/month: $7053 (+$5926)

After this term I understood how desperate and painful had mythmonster2 term been. Whatever he had done to repopulate the city, and prevent total collapse was a success. He is the true silent hero.

File is there:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/li37xq

Some pretty draconian meassures there. But look like it is working big time!

I will have the mine soon. Have played both turns already (New Eden, then FC), only have to write the post which will be kind of long, BTW.

So many lurkers, so few comments. I really wish readers and other mayors would give more feedback. This is never-ending project and it would be intresting to speculate more about city and how to develop it.

Top Bottom