Sim City (4) Succession Session!

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Peck of Arabia, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Very nice terms, mythmonster2. So peaceful and quiet in Spudsville and New Eden, and a nice job addressing one of the major deficiencies in Fort Consternation. It's rather appropriate that it was the Great Draught Museum that got demolished to make room for a hospital - Fort Consternation is finally getting to the place that the Great Draught is no longer such a defining moment for its current state.

If you go to your account page, it will list when you joined (you may also have an e-mail from when you signed up). Look at the day within the month, and on that day every month, your bandwidth used is reset to zero. For me, I signed up on the 2nd of a month, so on the second of every month, my bandwidth is reset.

I think Fort Consternation's pollution levels are finally returning to low levels! Kudos to mythmonster2 for continuing that trend!

I agree - Verdant Field looks very posh and sophisticated, with plenty of rain year-round to keep the plants green and growing.

2. calad

calad Emperor

My third term is so much of fun! Thank you Myth for saving all that cash, I enjoy burning it!

3. calad

calad Emperor

And it is done! I must say this was one of my the most satisfying term ever. I must say I managed to do all of my plans and Im now out of intresting ideas what to do next. Good time to step down. How many differences you notice in this picture and one on first post?

Spoiler :

Later I will do other regions. And post a long report.

4. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

It has really good aspect!

I see you eliminated some dirty industries which didnt have any chance to evolve to hi-tech due to terrain. Well done. Only some dirties and energy plants remaining at SE. Maybe some deals with neighbors can be done to eliminate it. FC is turning into some kind of Elysium as i predicted. :p

5. calad

calad Emperor

Calads third term: progress shapes Ft. Consternation

Back in the office again. Ft. Consternation is on the very intresting situation. Catastrophy cause by Peck of Arabia actually on long term was very refressing for the city, atlest when looking my favourites: graphics. I just love them, who doesnt?

Spoiler :

Trafic has remained same for decades: cars remain primary vehicles. I could speculate that public and road funding has affected greatly on commute time, hence people were walking more between collapse and my third term.

When last time city had this much of money? I will waste invest all of it! Also income is growing nicely as well. Thanks Myth for cash!

This might be a bit difficult to believe but residents are wealthier that ever. Looks like this is because of low taxes primary. Strangely taxes seems to matter most of how people earn, not their wealth class... Well this game was done couple of decades ago when bankers and CEOs were more reasonable of their pay. However citizens still die rather early. More hospitals are needed. Education is restored very succesfully and high-tech professions are returning.

Garbage is also under control after couple of decades neglect. Air pollution is lowering but still remains way too high if Ft. Consternation wants to be a healthy city. Water pollution also shows very promising signs of lowering even further.

Despite of growing high-tech industry majority of citizens still remain low-wealth. However wealth is returning slowly on forms of high pay commerce and industry. Mainly thanks to education.

Power and water levels. Nothing can be mentioned of them expect city is big and there are plenty of coal plants.

And crime finaly. Due to lack of police stations crime pays off.

In case you dont care of graphs just skip spoiler section. Now my work of Myths cash my third term begins. Because of insane amount of cash I decied to dedicate my third ther specially to beautify this city and call back high-wealth citizens.

My first project was to demolish all old ports and replace them with one big:

Spoiler :

Out out old, you are too costy.

Something is forming...

Can it be?

Yes it is. A new modern port with railway connection to all industry areas of this city. I demolished other old ports and their stations because this is more effective and beautifull. Later I expanded new port with car ferry station to see if citizens would travel to other regions (spoiler: yes they do).

Will continue on part two...

6. calad

calad Emperor

Calads third term: second part

Spoiler :

While celebrating, a new project was declared: extending high way to top of Hollywood Hills. Building high ways is extreamly costly and so was this project. Lot of buildings had to go.

Movie studio was also moved to better location and high tech industry was zoned. Also roads up were demolished.

Next project was to demolish this small area. Clearly it damaged greatly desirability of nearby commerce and residental houses, and causes a lot of pollution as well.

Everything need to go. Nothing old musnt remain.

Result was rather normal area for industry.

Next target was near of Central Park. On my last term I built this area for dirty industry but now clearly it is time to let this are go.

What do I found there? A lot of metro stations. How built them? Dont people know how much more expensive they are compared to buss stations. Also metro tube maintance costs fortunes.

Now much better.

Directly south from there was a hill full of dirty industry. Time to leave legacy there I thought and destroy all that dirty industry!

And so likes Gods hands, where-ever my hands went, nothing remained.

A statue for Lady Liberty was built there.

Ft. Consternation started huge city wide celebration right after Lady Liberty was built. Clearly citizens had lacked something to be proud of. Future of progress is coming back!

Finaly, it was built. But of boy how costly it had been. New road tolls were also set up: now when you enter new high way you need to pay. Naturally to enter Hollywood hills now you need to pay anyway: be it a private car or public transportation. After this, unpaused, and let the time flow.

More hills to clean. New era kicks old ways away.

Lady Liberty shall not be covered on smoke!

Dont leave stone upon stone!

Can anybody honestly say they miss the old industry area?

After Liberty hill it was time to change whole Ft. Consternation from the very bottom.

So I ordered to be introduced counter-progressive taxtion to drive poors away. Unless new housing zones are not build population will remain around 500 000. Low wealth citizens need to go since their industry is gone as well. I hope medium and high wealth citizens will replace them. Maybe this will also encourage poors to because medium wealth-citizens. This leads automaticly more taxes, and new hospitals and schools are not needed. Actually I built only one new hospital and teachers never striked because population remained same.

Strangely citizens become more poorer. This graphic seems not to be very sensible. Common sense tells me when poor move out and rich in medium income should increase.

As I said: poors out and rich in.

Some houses were abandon so they were blown up. Right after new ones were rising. My policy was clearly working as intended.

My re-high tech industrial policy was working better than I dreamed to hope: no collapse of economy, no mas fleeting citizens and no budget crise. It was like whole city was cheering behind me: "further, faster, more!"

Then I finaly moved into Hollywood hills, or should I say toxin hills. This was citys most despited area: ugly, dirty and neglected.

All of that had to be razed down. New modern shiny buildings rose to place which had been complitely neglected for generations. Modern new elevated railroad was connected to city metro and buss stations were builtplenty of. Also stations for freight were built.

Down down, we dont need you.

New modern air port for fire fighters was built. Now if there is a fire, go there by plane, not by car.

Despite wide destruction demand remained high trought my whole third term.

Now you may think how do I built so nicely leveled areas? It is actually rather easy once figured out: here small manual.

This area looks rather hopeless.

Step 2: built street roads.

Make them more, it is taking a nice shape.

And then cross them. Perfect flat area!

This is what I finaly built. No need for terraform. Just roads. Cheap, easy and dont damage other buildings. Can you find original freight station anymore?

Final part will follow...

7. calad

calad Emperor

Calads third term: ending

Limit per post is 30 pictures. Thats why multiple post.

Spoiler :
    New industry rising everywhere:

I decied to leave rest of Hollywood hill to other players. Now you know how to shape terrain, build your dream there.

Currently Ft. Consternation is built rather ineffective way. Mass transit need more busses, not metro stations. I destroyed a lot of metro stations, tubes and set up new road tolls. Almost like free cash. I highly recommend all future mayors to improve mass transit. It drains way too much cash and is ineffective. To make it better would also increase number of high level wealth people.

Left: before. Right: after.

This is how much less polluted city is after replacing the most of industry:

Before.

After.

Water pollution exist mainly because of coal plant and garbage.

Years later, generation which worked during years 145-150, gathers every year under Calads Third Term Memorial Monument and Lady Liberty, to celebrate golden, happy, era of their life when there was plenty of work and future seemed to be limitless. Thought beign in remote location of city, far away for the great centers, it has special meaning for everybody how knows it.

After so much done and said lets take final view of statistic:

This how much 5 years have shaped this city. Everybody is getting more richer, expect poor people who are moving out.

Demand remains high and cash is flowing in. With 10 000 per month next mayor can shape this city however he wants without fear of failure.

The end.

Evening view of Ft. Consternation.

Final Stats:
    Population: 491 763 (-1%)
    Cash: $97 477 (-83%)
    Surplus: $9 861/month (-27.6%)

8. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Have you uploaded the file? I think it is my turn now.

BTW with so much free space some new residential areas could be easily added. In any case it will not be me since i have not time to play several cities and i have this craving to build a beachy paradise somewhere... :mischief:

9. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Ooh, yes, that open space does like mighty attractive for some new residents. Good term, calad!

10. calad

calad Emperor

How funny. I had similar idea as well and look what I made:

Spoiler :
    After looking regions of Spudsville and New Eden neither arose any intrest on me. Spudsville is farmer paradise so there actually is very little room to improve or expand it. New Eden is like Ft. Consternation but smaler, a good practice for beginers I must say. Originally I intended to connect regions so ferry could operate but I ended creating a complitely new region: Billionaire Bay. Who can deny that old, all life working rich old white men dont deserve their own region?

Couple rules first:

1. Keep poor people out!
    2. As much rich people as possible
    3. And keep as well everything out that annoys them

I dont know if it is possible to have a region, only habited by billionaires. So lets test it out. Middle-class is necessary evil propably because economy dont work without them. You can prove me wrong likely.

But here I start!

The founding of Billionaire Bay, years 0-5

Not much is needed to say. Mayor Fatcat welcomes all rich hoardy bastards there. In Ft. Consternation I built a railroad into this region and in New Eden a railroad as well and a bit road. Thats all I did in New Eden.

Fireworks for new start.

Center of region is simply the best place to start. Rich people like big zones, so to attract rich people zones of 3x3 or 4x4 are only they accept for their houses. Definetly the good side is that I need low hospital and school funding, thought I need to cover a larger area.

To keep poors and unwanted industry out I set high taxes. Keep taxes up and they stay out.

The first special building was not a office for Mayor but a Resort Hotel. I also built a car ferry to see if anybody wants to work here, or go out.

New houses and business arise quickly. There is no education so I must assume that rich create naturally those works. Demand explains everything.

Mansions for fat cats.

Energy is generated ecofriendly. Water is from small water towers.

And rich people travel to Ft. Consternation to work! Even more people are using train. Car ferries seems to be a rather bad investment because very few people use them.

New houses, more rich cats.

Despite minimal education commerce is blooming. High buildings rose and generates a good income. Later they become even higher.

Demand is huge. A new area for business is flatted and zoned.

And for houses as well.

Buildings are beign upgraded even higher and a Temple is built for Lord of Coins.

Here I messed a bit. Rich actually become a minority when suddenly middle class took over this zones and built high buildings there! Good coinsidence was that regions became first time profitable.

More more buildings.

Finaly s statue was built next to city entrance to welcome everybody into this earthly paradise.

And thats all! I actually forgot to take any pictures about industrial area near to Ft. Consternation. They all are high tech industry.

We will see what kind of direction this region will take. Can we return this for rich only and ban middle class? Or will whole region collapse (because now it is largely unprofitable). Let the next mayor rule.

Finaly a transport map for whole region:

And no statistic from me.

Download region from here!

11. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Oh wow, I'm impressed by that. I'm surprised you got buildings like that in only 5 years, too.

12. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Hey you stolen my idea! [pissed]

Anyway i like the new city a lot. I particullarly like the roundabout, very European. But where are the beaches? there cant be a beachy paradise without beaches!

I was thinking on a more retired spot though...

13. calad

calad Emperor

On the final picture they are just under the cliff. They are so idyllic made that maybe thats why you missed them :D

14. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

I was thinking something like that as well, actually. That's a nice luxury retreat, so many posh houses!

Finally a working ferry connection! Spudsville won't know what's hit it with all these city folk arriving for a weekend in the country...

15. Thorgalaeg

Thorgalaeg Deity

Sorry guys, i wont have access to my home computer for a whole week at least. So fell free to skip me this time.

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

This lurker is loving Billionaire's Bay. All it needs now is a landing strip for private planes and for launching crop dusters to clean those poor middle-wealth houses.

17. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

Quite an awesome couple of turns, calad. That is some major reconstruction in five years. The industrial pollution before-and-after difference is stark, and yet there were other major projects like the docklands, as well. Between several terms of economic recovery, and then educational, health, and pollution reform in successive terms, I think Fort Consternation is by and large recovered from the Great Draught.

And I like the highway extension, too. Or at least, I think I do not having loaded up the city. It always did seem to be missing a northern extension, be that where it is now, or closer to Germanicus12 Stadium. I am slightly confused about the preferences for bus vs. subway, though. Is it just that busses are cheaper? I'd considered subways preferable when affordable since subway riders mean no vehicles on the road, whereas busses are still on the road. Although part of that is just that I generally prefer to ride subways myself, particularly in new cities.

I'm also a fan of Billionaire's Bay. I'd also been pondering doing some sort of only-filthy-rich-folks experiment. It's certainly off to a good start!

Germanicus12 next?

18. calad

calad Emperor

Thanks. I think high way can be extended even more going around the Liberty Hill but it is really an expencive project. Another miracle I would like to see is to remove all garbage dumps and generate all electricity not from coal but from clean technology.

About the bus vs subway:

It is about being cost-effective. If you look last line about mass transit you notice that mass transit maintance cost is 500$ lesser, after I destroyed all Hollywood hills metro station and tubes, and re-organized other industrial ares mass transit. It is a good strategy to build one metro station and put a buss station next to it, so sims travel ? -> metro -> buss -> buss -> work. Metro station maintance is 4x higher than buss station, not to mention how much the maintance of tube cost. Actually sims use cars only when there is no mass transit possibility.

About being effective I also replaced lot of roads by streets.

19. Peck of Arabia

Peck of Arabia Sociable Recluse

That's a pretty convincing argument from a cost front, but I can't help but feel that any bustling metropolis worth it's salt needs to have a subway system. It's a prestige thing, I think.

Oh and it is indeed Germanicus's turn, assuming he's managed to get his game up and working with the NAM.

I'm loving all these cities that are popping up, they're really filling out the region nicely. We could probably do with some kind of city for the poor and huddled masses now they've been evicted from, seemingly everywhere.

Oh, and I've just remembered I need to update the front page

20. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

Hey guys! I've been lurking here, and would love to help out, but I've lost my copy of SC4 (and it isn't on Steam for Mac). I would love to help out, so would anyone be interested of a gif of NC's progress?

EDIT: I've tried to compile some pictures, but it appears as if the file size is too large. :/