1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

SimCity 5

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by KMRblue1027, Mar 4, 2012.

1. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Now that it's official let's discuss. :)

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    After a disappointment with Societies and the micromanaging nightmare of 4. I just hope they return back to the mechanics of SC3k where I did not have to go to each flipping power plant to micro manage them. Oh and traffic should be improved as well and certan classes of sims aren't picky about using mass transit.

3. Hakim

Hakim Parasocial

4. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

Don't break my heart... :cry: I was sad about Spore and certainly sad about Societies.

5. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Well, I guess I'll finally have to get a new PC. An 8 year old one probably won't cut it.

6. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

The title alone gave me a nerdgasm.

7. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Beat me to it. I'm glad no one else was in the room when I jumped at the thread title. :blush:

Seriously, I would love to have a new SimCity that has some sort of basic economics engine (and it seems like it will based on the screenshot preview link). SimCity 4 minus the you-drive stuff and the crummy Sims 1 heads, plus an economics engine would be awesome. I'd also like more fund-raising options instead of just gambling and the basic tax rates. Maybe some splitting of the residential tax structure between property taxes and income taxes, and split the commercial taxes into corporate taxes and sales taxes. Also, it'd be great if they included some of the fan-made transportation systems, especially stations that are built "on" roads instead of as separate tiles.

Seriously, while the memory leak was annoying and I had other little nit-picky things that I didn't like, the #1 problem I had with SimCity 4 over 3k was the character design. They took those wonderful caricatures and replaced them with the Sims 1 heads.

Side note: I didn't think you had to go to each power plant in SimCity 4 to manage them--I adjusted the spending levels on the budget screen for them and it seemed to work fine.

8. KMRblue1027

KMRblue1027 The Crown!

Power plants IIRC were on universal budget setting (Even if they weren't there is no reason to edit a plant individually as you should have one grid.) . Only schools, and hospitals were locally set (As they should be).

9. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

I think that was even rumored years ago (it's like Duke Nukem Forever - vaporware for 15 years until it was finally released).

Yeah, the way Spore went kind of has me worried. It might be a stretch now to expect the current SimCity 4 micromanagement plus the detail of Sims.

10. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Trekkie At Large

The SimCity series made me a PC gamer, and I still play SimCity 3000. I'd love for them to bring back petitioners -- all of those people with their varied and competing interest groups, combined with my advisers, allowed for real immersion. I could believe this was a city with real people in it, and it's no accident that I often use SimCity 3000 personalities in my Sims 2 game. I'm especially fond of Mortimer Green, the financial adviser who could warn you that we are "doomed to certain and inevitable failure" in a completely deadpan fashion. One of the reasons I never got into SimCity 4 like I expected -- like I wanted to, because I like the financial aspects of it -- is that the regional play disrupted the immersion for me. I liked the big region maps, but I don't like having to switch back and forth between cities to play one.

11. croxis

croxis Chat room op

12. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I read the title and creamed my pants.

Please let this be true, and good.

13. Save_Ferris

The pictures make it look a bit more... simplified. This made CiV better than CIV, but I'm not sure if it'll work for SimCity.

Here's hoping for a mode that lets you walk around your city and unlimited money mode.

14. croxis

croxis Chat room op

1) The art work is not done. Lots of buildings still missing textures in the two supposed screenshots we have.
    2) SC4 used 2d sprites for the buildings. What we are seeing are full 3d objects.
    3) It looks like they might go with a tilt-shift art style, which would be really cool.

15. Leonel

Leonel Breakfast Connoisseur

I'm hoping the leaked images that seem to insinuate a simpler play style are just a small demonstration and the game is more complicated than that.

EDIT: Well it's official! But we'll see if it's interesting or just a Societies.

16. Save_Ferris

To be fair, we should hold judgement until we see the control panel.

17. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Interested, but not holding my breath about it. They completely bombed on Societies and I fear they may completely bomb on this too.

18. croxis

croxis Chat room op

They didn't even make societies, Tilted Mill made it.

19. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    This is my opinion as well.

20. Synsensa

Synsensa Deity Retired Moderator

Exactly why I fear it'll bomb again. The other developer will try so hard to not fail as much as the developer that made Societies, and might end up making something even worse.