Simcity vs Civilization

Originally posted by Dumb pothead

No big deal at all. But if you walk into the Boston Red Sox dugout and proclaim loudly that the Yankees are better than the Red Sox, you should expect a certain level of hostility:lol:

Ahh, maybe so, but Ultraworld didn't come here and merely say that he likes Simcity better. He said that Civilization was a CLOSE second. By explaining himself in such a manner, he gives the impression that he truly likes both games, and enjoys both, but maybe spends just a little more time playing Simcity.

Originally posted by Benderino

Ahh, maybe so, but Ultraworld didn't come here and merely say that he likes Simcity better. He said that Civilization was a CLOSE second. By explaining himself in such a manner, he gives the impression that he truly likes both games, and enjoys both, but maybe spends just a little more time playing Simcity.

LOL: I even spent most time playing Civ.

SimCity classic was really great: unfortunately I didn't had a terrain editor. Still enjoyed it for about 4 years

Sc2K is the best in the SimCity cyclus. Unfortunately too many bugs to make it playable.

3000: don't like the graphics. Currently I am collecting and creating my own bulidings with a 2K style

As said before. The game has some unique characteristics you won't find anywhere. That is why it is in my opinion the best compu game ever.
Civ is great too. Has lots of potential.

What about riots? :p (J/K)

Originally posted by Ultraworld

Sc2K is the best in the SimCity cyclus. Unfortunately too many bugs to make it playable.

3000: don't like the graphics. Currently I am collecting and creating my own bulidings with a 2K style

I liked SimCity 3000 a lot, and 4 is cool. It's really complicated, and I don't have enough time to try to figure it out. 2000's graphics I just can't stand after seeing 3000 and better.

I only once actually had a mildy successful city, but I can't remember how I did it. Usually it just seems like after a year into it, I'm only losing money and I either have to take out bonds (which puts me only further into debt) or restart. How do you actually get a successful city going. Do you start off really small (I'm talking stone age here) or just gamble it all away on superb schools and hospitals and hope for the best?

SIMCITY 4

Pros
- Graphics are cool
- No end
- Disasters are cool
- Music is nice (except for the rap :p)
Cons
- Predictable
- Money is too hard to earn

CIVILIZATION III
Pros
- People die :evil:
- Alternate History :thumbsup:
- Some humor (Joan with shaved head, etc.)
- Opponents
Cons
- Games are too long
- Peacetime is boring
- Music stinks

I say Civilization 3 is better.

>>How do you actually get a successful city going. Do you start off really small <<

a small peacefull town with a low tax rate.

one of the reincarnations of classic had a briljant jazz tune. I got the midi on my HD

Only read the first page

I'm not very happy with the hostility of these members either

I think it's a legitamate question, with sim city 4, you can pretty much create your own nations.

I'm going with SimCity.

Civ3 offers so many more variables that you have to take into account and adjust your strategy accordingly. That makes it more exciting and results in more variety and different games.

Strategies that work on chieftain, don't work on deity. You react differently if you start next to Persia that has iron, than if you start next to sweet Joan :love:. The game is different if all the civs leave you alone, or if the AI sneak attacks you at 3000 BC :(.
Starting on an island by yourself is different than being in the middle of a continent surrounded by the likes of Shaka, Bismark, Xerxes, etc.

SimCity makes it too easy to fall into a predictible pattern and play every game the exact same way. Earthquakes and stuff are just a minor nuisance that just slows you down, but the result (what you build) ends up being the same.

Civ also suffers from the habit "to fall into a predictible pattern and play every game the exact same way". But every map comes with its own challenges, and editing is easy (perhaps too).

I can't makes comparisons. I have never had time for other games because Civ
- has a goal, or several goals actually, do what you think best.
- the opponent is within you. I think this goes for SimCity too since it is a characteristic of most games, especially the single-player kind. And the opponents that the AI represent in Civ, are a good mirror of how you are doing in a game. In what other singleplayer game are reputation and attitude so important?
- has an end. Sometimes you see it coming, other times you don't.

The Civ music is great. The tune of the Ancient Age has hit parade potential.

I think Ultraw, his good intentions and enthousiasm for Civ3 are often misunderstood. I don't care who 's to blame, but I do know who can do something about it.

Originally posted by Ultraworld
>>How do you actually get a successful city going. Do you start off really small <<

a small peacefull town with a low tax rate.

Is that all the great wisdom you can pas down upon me?

:)

How about should I use all three types of tiles in the beginning, or just residential, or a combo of some kind?

Top Bottom