Similarity between Civ5 and Civ3

Tecibbar

unliving
I noticed that Civ5 is very different from Civ4, and reverted a lot of changes brought by Civ4. Some obvious examples include:
1. Fewer tile improvement choice
2. Wonder less powerful
3. Resource provides little bonus.
4. Diplomacy unclear
5. Can't compete for a tile with culture
6. No religion (That is about to change)
7. Leaders tied with Civilization.

So is Civ5 a continuation/improvement over Civ3?

I think Civ 5 has similarities to both Civ 3 and Civ 4. Honestly (and this will probably get me in trouble with a few folks on here), I wish it took nothing from Civ 4. Civ 4 was obviously meant to bring in a new breed of younger "gamers." At least Civ 5 appears to be more focused on the returning Civ players.

Personally, I wish they would stop adding all this new stuff with each game. If they keep adding things like policy trees and religion then eventually every tile will be worth 20 food and 15 hammers. The simplicity of the first three Civ games is gone.

I noticed that Civ5 is very different from Civ4, and reverted a lot of changes brought by Civ4. Some obvious examples include:
1. Fewer tile improvement choice
2. Wonder less powerful
3. Resource provides little bonus.
4. Diplomacy unclear
5. Can't compete for a tile with culture
6. No religion (That is about to change)
7. Leaders tied with Civilization.

So is Civ5 a continuation/improvement over Civ3?

I have not played civ4 much but here is my commentary on your points

1. Valid point, I would like to see more improvements (next expansion *crosses fingers)
2. There are some pretty powerful wonders in civ5, if they were more powerful in civ4 that would probably be a bad thing
3. I don't see this as necessarily a good or bad thing
4. I got used to it as I played more
5. You can buy tiles(not in civ4), and culture expansion occurs one tile at a time (which I like)
6. As you said G+K will change this
7. Leaders also have unique ability which I personally like more than the common traits

Also civ5 put in 1Upt, social policies, and city states.

You obviously are not very familiar with Civ III. Some Civ 4 things haven't returned, but I see little reverting back to Civ III. You're mentioning very minor aspects also, mostly to do with balance.
When it comes to the bigger concepts, Civ 5 is much more a successor of Civ 4 than Civ III. I would personally have liked to see some features of Civ III making a return, things like tech trading, map trading, contact trading, real trade networks, reputation, war weariness, alliances, earlier sea exploration, sea transports...
A lot of people on the forums here are saying they miss things from Civ 4 but that's just because that's the game they're coming from. If they had come from Civ III they would have said the same thing about Civ III.

Civ III had a lot of dodgy features as well that gladly haven't returned in both Civ 4 & 5...

I actually miss the palace builder from CivIII. Silly I know but in Civ5 they could make it like an aerial view and have all sorts of processions etc going on in the palace grounds and you could change it from the policies you adopt and it would also be region specific. I think it could be a fun addition but too much coding to be justified at this stage.

colonies to get resource from civ 3 so can get a resource without a city would be good

the embarkation is sooo much better than tedious transports imo

the ui on civ 4 was clumsy

1upt of civ 5 makes civ 3 more like 4 than 5 imo

Top Bottom