Simple, Easy how to for adding buildings.

LAW_FREAK

Prince
I have decided to make a tutorial about how to add buildings to Civilization 3 Conquests. I know there are many others but there were errors in their tutorials and because I hope to make a very simple clear tutorial, that any newbie can read. It may take me a few days to finish though(I have life).

I"M FINISHED YOU MAY NOW POST

TROUBLE SHOOTING
Make sure the palette was not changed. The last two colors should be HEX 1st(00ff00)and 2nd(ff00ff) RGB 1st(255,000,255) 2nd(000,255,000)

Make sure it is in 256 color PCX

Make sure the image is ligned up right. Dont make the squares bigger or smaller the game will read it as normal, and youll have images overlapping and green ligns through your building. Not pretty

Befor starting you will need some supplies
-This Building
-C3C Installed on your PC
-A program that can read/edit .pcx
-A program that can read/edit .txt

REVISED PALETTE SORRYIf you want I have made a file folder which includes pediaicon.txt, civilopedia.txt, buildings-large.pcx, and buildings-small.pcx and all the folders you will need to add you buildings. Just unzip it your conquests\scenarios folder and skip any directions in red
Click here to download

First you need to make some folders.
Go to your Conquests main directory and open the file folder Scenarios . Then right click on an empty space and make a new folder name it what ever you want you mod to be named. Open this folder and make two new folders named Text and Art. Open Art and make 2 folders named city screen and Civilopedia . Open Civilopedia and make folder named icons then open icons and make a folder named buildings.

Next you need to go to your conquests main directory and open Text . Copy civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt to your mod's Text folder. Now go back to your Conquests main directory and open Art and then open city screen. Copy buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx and copy to your mod's art\city screen folder .

Now unzip the building provided above. Into your mod's Art folder. Take refinerylarge.pcx and refinerysmall.pcx and drag it into your civilopedia\icons\buildings folder.

Now start your program that can edit .pcx files. Load buildings-large.pcx that came with the zip and copy the image. Now open the buildings-large.pcx in your city screen folder and paste the image into an empty square(look below, I will provide the two lengthened files (large & small)) Now make sure your file is still in 256 colors and save into your city screen folder. Repeat for buildings-small.pcx.

Lengthened building files

Now open your mod's text folder and then pediaicons.txt. Scroll down until you see the end of the building entrys. Looks like This
#ICON_BLDG_Knights_Templar
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\knightstemplarlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\knightstemplarsmall.pcx

#HomelessIcons
#
art\civilopedia\icons\terrain\borderslarge.pcx
#
art\civilopedia\icons\terrain\borderssmall.pcx
#
art\civilopedia\icons\terrain\riverslarge.pcx
#
art\civilopedia\icons\terrain\riverssmall.pcx
#END CIVILOPEDIA ART
Now copy this
#ICON_BLDG_Knights_Templar
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\knightstemplarlarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\knightstemplarsmall.pcx
And paste right below the last entry(shown above)
Now edit it to look like this
#ICON_BLDG_Refinery
SINGLE
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\RefineryLarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\RefinerySmall.pcx
#ICON_BLDG_Refinery
This is the entry that will show up in the editor.
This is what tells the game how to read the row that the icon is on in buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx. It tells it if It is a single icon for all the eras, 1 icon per era(4 icons), or an icon for each culture.
This is the row that the icon is on
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\RefineryLarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\buildings\RefinerySmall.pcx
This tells the game where the civilopedia icons are.

Now you need to copy the file path, it should look something like this
F:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization III\Conquests\Scenarios\MY_Mod
We'll use that in second.
Now open up the Conquests editor and go to scenario properties.
Now on the line titled scenario search folders paste the file path, and take of the first to characters(F: or C:)
Press OK and save the game what want but not the same name as your mods folder and exit.

Now reopen your mod( we exited to reset the editor to use the files in the editor).
Now put your cursor over the toolbar named scenario and turn on custom rules.
Open the rule editor and go to Improvements and Wonders click add and name the building whatever you want. Now on the text line named civilopedia entry select the entry of the building we added. Now an image of the refinery should show up on the magenta area.
NOW YOUR DONE ADDING THE BUILDING

Now for the civilopedia.

Ok now you need to open your mods text folder and open civlopedia.txt. Scroll down until you see entrys for buildings. Copy on of the entrys and paste below skipping a few lines. Make sure each paragraph starts with a ^ Now erase the old information and type the new. Make sure you use the right entry( BLDG_Building_Name, and DESC_BLDG_Building_Name.) now save AND YOUR DONE

Wonders are the same except for a few extra graphics. Wonders should come with a wonder splash. Just add the folder Wonder Splash . Move the wonder splash icon that came with the wonder into the folder.

Now open the pediaicons.txt and scroll down until you see this
######################################################################
#WONDER_SPLASH_ART begin
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Pyramids
art\wonder splash\pyramid.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Hanging_Gardens
art\wonder splash\hanging gardens.pcx
Now add the wonder's entry like this
######################################################################
#WONDER_SPLASH_ART begin
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Pyramids
art\wonder splash\pyramid.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Hanging_Gardens
art\wonder splash\hanging gardens.pcx
#WON_SPLASH_BLDG_Wonder_Entry
art\wonder splash\My New Wonder.pcx

If you get an error message or the buildings graphics don't work, make sure the building entry(BLDG_New_Building) In the editor is the same as the entry in the pediaicons(ICON_BLDG_New_Building), that all graphics are in 256 colors, and that all file names are correct

this kinda thing should be sticky... and perhaps as one post? :)

about to try to use it, will report back how it goes!

Top Bottom