Simple questions, simple answers

Brassnbricks

Chieftain
Hey, international folks. I'm expecting to be playing BNW for the better part of the day today, and I know how annoying it can be to have to sit and wait while the game's available elsewhere. So I'm going to try to ease the sting of it by running an easy Q&A thread. I'll keep an eye on this thread for the next day or two--if you have any questions that haven't already been answered, ask, and I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Warning: I'm an unfocused player who sticks to the lower difficulties. If you're looking for information on top-notch AI tactics, I won't be of much use, but I also have my fingers in enough pies to have some experience with pretty much every aspect of the game.

To start, here are some things that I've noticed in my first playthrough.

1) City A can only run a single trade route to City B. This is a no-brainer if you're talking about gold routes, but what this means for the more insular among us is that you can only run a food OR a production route from City A to City B--you can't run double up on caravans/ships and send both. I haven't tried sending one of each yet, but I'm doubtful.

2) Beelining down the tech tree is a lot more costly than before--there's stuff for various victory conditions everywhere. I used to get scientific method or even plastics before going down the navigation/archaeology route. Doing so, however, meant that I had produced a bunch of great artists during the renaissance era, but I had no buildings to put their works in.

How has the introduction of the tech penalty for city founding affected you? Are you noticing teching going more slowly?

Also, how are you coping with the lack of money early-game? Are you still able to expand quickly?

How does the lack of early-game gold affect the AI's willingness to engage in wars?

Which content from DLC's or GnK is not included in BNW?

Statue of Zeus, Ethiopia and all G&K systems are included. The rest of the civs and scenarios aren't.

do you get gold from plundering trade routes? if you do how much do you get?

You do, I got 100 gold from plundering one trade route.

How has the introduction of the tech penalty for city founding affected you? Are you noticing teching going more slowly?

Also, how are you coping with the lack of money early-game? Are you still able to expand quickly?

How does the lack of early-game gold affect the AI's willingness to engage in wars?

I've only played one full game so it's a bit difficult to tell, but I didn't find teching to be noticeably slower.

Expanding quickly is a death sentence unless you have natural wonders/UA to support your units. You need to get trade routes up and running ASAP or your economy is crippled.

On my continent there was no war until the industrial age (!), I was playing on prince to learn the new systems, but still...

Hope it's ok that I answered some questions Brassnbricks, didn't mean to take over the thread or anything :)

100 gold is not bad!

is it related to how much gold the trade route generates? (like 10 x trade route income)

is there any new promotion that gives more loot (Askia, Ottomans and privateers would be fitting for that)

BC: The 5% science penalty applies to puppets, too, which doesn't affect me personally (I prefer going tall), but could cause issues for people who expand and steamroll their neighbors. Teching overall seems a lot slower--even without military conquest or manic expansion, it seems like I'm lagging way behind in terms of what-turn-I-enter-which-era. I'm not sure if beaker prices have gone up or if I'm just suffering from my usual need to try everything out.

Kwidem: I'm playing as America for a more generic feel. The gold-purchasing end of Manifest Destiny seems to be better, because tile-buying costs don't seem spiral up as quickly as they did in Vanilla/GnK. Something I didn't expect out of the new culture system is that cultural tile expansion is a lot slower than normal, since most of your cities' culture comes from great works instead of the actual buildings. It might be worth shipping your great works around to your outlying cities just to push your borders out.

Gisk: No biggie, it's just meant to be another resource for the curious.

I really should learn how the forums' quote function works at some point.

Statue of Zeus, Ethiopia and all G&K systems are included. The rest of the civs and scenarios aren't.

Does that mean that Carthage, Maya, Huns and all the other G&K civs (except Ethiopia) are not included??? Can anybody confirm this please? That would definitely make me wait for a complete package.

Does that mean that Carthage, Maya, Huns and all the other G&K civs (except Ethiopia) are not included??? Can anybody confirm this please? That would definitely make me wait for a complete package.

Only Ethiopia is included from G&K.

Drago: You get one trade route for each of the following technologies:

Animal Husbandry
Sailing
Engineering
Compass
Banking
Biology
Railroads
Penicillin

You can also get one trade route for holding the following wonders:

Petra
Colossus

There might be other wonders that give TRs, but if so, I haven't seem them yet.

Headcase: The culture cost doesn't seem to apply to puppets. I haven't actually tested it out via warfare yet, but the tooltip for culture still says "Each city you own," while the science tooltip specifies both cities and puppet cities.

Expanding quickly is a death sentence unless you have natural wonders/UA to support your units.

You say that after playing one game? I really hope this isn't true or Liberty is a dead tree.

By the way, in every lets play I've seen so far, tech costs increased by 3% for each city (not 5%). Maybe different game settings?

You say that after playing one game? I really hope this isn't true or Liberty is a dead tree.

Unless you are Venice, of course. Or lucky Spain.

1) City A can only run a single trade route to City B. This is a no-brainer if you're talking about gold routes, but what this means for the more insular among us is that you can only run a food OR a production route from City A to City B--you can't run double up on caravans/ships and send both. I haven't tried sending one of each yet, but I'm doubtful.

you can only have one internal route from one home city to a destination city. So if you have the building in the home city, that is granary for Food, or workshop for Production, you can only sent ONE. Either Food or Production. If you have another trade unit, that route is blocked.

Top Bottom