1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

simple (stupid) question...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Jazzer32, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Jazzer32

Jazzer32 Chieftain

What is use of Power (electricity)?
    I mean, I build power plants or The Three Gorges dam, and I notice my cities have Power, but what do I get with Power?

2. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

3. Handel

Handel Prince

To get something from the power you need to have a factory build. A factory in a city with a power (no matter from which source) gives 50% more production. So no factory means no gain from the power in this city.

Edit: And you can have only the one source of power - so coal plant and The Three Gorges Dam still gives only +50%. Not only this - you cannot "upgrade" (or replace) a power source once it is built.

4. Jazzer32

Jazzer32 Chieftain

Thank you

5. Handel

Handel Prince

Also you should know you can build The Three Gorges Dam and get power for the cities on the same continent but you still can build another power station in the cities and feel the negative effects from them w/o any real gain (not checked with 3.19 patch although).

6. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

In 3.19 at least, building a hydro plant in a city with a coal plant gets rid of the extra :yuck: from the coal plant.

7. Handel

Handel Prince

Do the Three Gorges Dam negates the coal power plant?

Edit: Nah, I checked. You can build a water power plant AND The Three Gorges Dam, but neither of them cancels the negative 2 :yuck: from the coal plant. So even with 3.19 once you build a coal plant you are stuck forever with it.

8. barbertje

barbertje Prince

You can't see the unhealth on the building itself

If I build only a factory and a coal plant and provide coal, I get

1 :yuck: from the factory
    2 :yuck: from bonuses. (having a factory + coal)
    4 :yuck: from power.

After also building a hydro plant

1 :yuck: from the factory
    2 :yuck: from bonuses. (having a factory + coal)
    2 :yuck: from power.

9. Handel

Handel Prince

Power from coal plant gives only +2 :yuck:, not +4 :yuck:. There is no way you can get +4 :yuck: from a single coal plant.

10. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Having power gives 2:yuck: regardless of source, using coal plants just adds another 2 :yuck:

11. Handel

Handel Prince

Arghhh.... you are correct:blush:

12. Tall German Joe

Tall German Joe Prince

i always gift away my coal as soon as possible... +2 health for me, -2 health for whichever poor AI was unlucky enough to be my friend. :mischief:

13. Handel

Handel Prince

So the coal is not needed after you build the railroads and have no coal plants? Can you build railroads with oil?

14. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

Yes, oil enables railroads. However, if I have coal I usually build coal plants. Waiting for power is seldom a good idea. I'll trade for health resources or use the power to build buildings to offset the unhealth in 1-2 turns. It takes so long to get to Three Gorges (game is usually over by then).

Trading away coal once rails are built is a good idea for Japan, however. This comes with the caveat that sometimes the AI will use that coal to their advantage against you. Shale Plant is one of the best late-game UBs.

15. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

Also, don't do what I did in a recent game and build coal plants when you don't actually have any coal. :hammer2:

16. Handel

Handel Prince

I didn't play Civ 4 for a long time (any Civ actually after the huge disappointment from the lame Civ 5), so I surprised to find out the power gives 2:yuck: even with Three Gorges Dam, no matter if the city has a factory or not. So this effectively kills the The Three Gorges Dam wonder although I don't like my citizens to use kerosene for light even when they launch space ships. Actually this not only makes the wonder useless, but it actually becomes hurting.

PS. What leaves me to wonder - how exactly the cities can build a spaceships modules w/o electricity?

17. Killroyan

Killroyan Deity

There are no stupid questions. It is only stupid not to ask questions.

18. Mec AntiKythera

Mec AntiKythera King

Invade West Virginia and tech MTR.