1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Since "Beyond the Sword" will be aiming at the post gunpowder-era...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Fuzzz, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

...I don't think people who have very solid computers will be able to enjoy this expansion pack. My pc always starts to run real slow when I hit the rennaissance/industrial age, so a game that starts there is prolly nothing for me.
    These are of course assumptions, because I don't know what they mean with aiming at the post gunpowder era.

2. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

How much RAM do you have (as Civ IV is almost entirely reliant on a good chunk of RAM to run smoothly in the later game)? The slowdown is generally due to your PC having to use harddisc space as virtual RAM (much slower than physical RAM)...

A temporary fix, is to completely quit out of the game every couple of hours, then reload. This helps somewhat in speeding the later game.

3. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

I have 256Mb of Ram ( I know, yet it works ), but that's not the point.
    If others like me with a slow computer have the same problem, and the game starts where the problems begin, than this game will not be worth buying.

4. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Right, I see. No offence intended, but Im surprised you can get CIv to even run properly at all. The min system requirements (if Firaxis were being honest ) should be 512 MB, and recommended should be 1 gig, (thats both double of what it says on the box)....

To play huge maps, you really need 1.5 gig plus.

5. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

That's called technological progress...what good would a game be if all they did was make it for the lowest tech people who would want to buy it?

They make it as best they can, and then tell people what they need in order to play the game...of course, they generally claim you need less than you truly do, but the point is that if your computer can't handle it...then upgrade something. It isn't the game makers' fault if your computer can't run it and you don't want to upgrade.

You shouldn't be running Windows XP with just 256MB of RAM, much less any games that are more complex than Solitaire!

6. Chemtech

Chemtech Chieftain

Gotta agree with the OP - they need to assume some minimum spec level or we would still be playing games designed to run on a 33Mhz processor and 640K of RAM.

Just to check I went to newegg.com - most 256MB memmory modules were around $20. Assuming you have an open slot you could double your memmory (and ability to play this game) for probably less than they are going to charge for the xpac.

7. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

Everything else is running fine on my pc (internet, programs,...) , so I would consider myself a real dumbass if I were to upgrade my pc merely for 1 game...

8. Chemtech

Chemtech Chieftain

I think the point being: You posted that you won't buy the xpac because it focuses on an era where you computer usually bogs down, late in the game with lots of units/moves requiring the use of virtual memory.

Fair enough, you have that right - but what most people seem to be saying is that IF you want to play it you have to upgrade - and for a modest cost at that - I wouldnt reccommend buying a new $3000 computer to play one game - although some people DO that.

9. Kadasbrass

Kadasbrass Warlord

Well while the game seems to be post gunpowder age... it does seem to add alot for pre gunpowder age too. Some of the wonders are earlymid game from the looks, also is expanding spying and dip early on as well.

It seems to be making alot of late game options available sooner for people like us with those slow computers ;)

10. kristopherb

kristopherb Protective/Charismatic

well i wonder if they will keep this in mind when creating it?

11. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

the late game runs slow for me too because I play Civ on a laptop, but I hope to get a new desktop before BTS comes out :D

12. Newbunkle

Newbunkle Muppet

Is that what the title means? Damn, and I thought us peace-players were finally getting some love. :(

13. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

Firaxis isn't clear on this, post gunpowder can mean a lot, but prolly that there are a few techs or stn that are added after the gunpowder tech (or units after the musketman). If they want to please the "peace-players" as well, the might also add a post-gunpowder building or two, but as I said in one of my first posts, these are all mere assumptions...

14. Alsark

Alsark Noble

I do think that "Beyond the Sword" is a reference to peace, not gunpowder. Saying something with "the sword" is sort of like saying something with "the fist", which, of course, requires less technology than a sword. "He rules with an iron fist," simply means that a leader is harsh or cruel, just like if a leader were described as, "His best friend is his sword," then you'll realize that he is warlike, a phrase that could still be used and would still have meaning today (though sword would likely be replaced with gun). Also, when somebody wants to pick a fight, and they try to get another person to join in, the more civilized person will reply, "I'm beyond fighting." This refers to peace, and in the end, I think the title plays on a similar phrase. This maybe isn't the best analogy, but I hope you see my point here.

Now, there will, of course, be several things added to the late game. This is evident in the concept art, in which we see a sort of glass dome surrounding a city, with turrets around the glass dome. Obviously, this is future-tech, and in the same picture we see several modern-tech buildings. However, when we take a look at the features, everything other than the extended space race victory applies to the early game just as much as it applies to the late game, if not more. Most of the civilizations that people think are going to be added are civilizations that were most powerful before or during the Egyptian times, and these civilizations obviously won't have unique buildings or units that are meant for the late game. Furthermore, that futuristic dome that is in the concept art, and the extended space race victory... what are those? Peaceful. The dome is meant for protection, and the extended space race is a means to achieve victory without warfare. This, again, brings me back to the point that the title refers to peace, and not modern-tech or higher, given the large amount of features that will be present in the game earlier on.

All in all, even without getting past the Industrial Era, I feel that this expansion will add quite a bit of depth to the game. You will see spys, the early UN building, better AI, civilian requests/random events, and, of course, new civilizations. So regardless of whether you can't run the game into the late era, I feel that you'll easily be able to reap the benefits of this expansion pack.

15. Thrallia

Thrallia Prodigal Staffer GOTM Staff

maybe so, but the point is that game companies can't cater to the desire of people with old computers to leave them alone and not upgrade.

If you think about it this way...the expansion pack will likely be $30. Doubling your RAM would cost you maybe $20-30 bucks. Doing so would greatly reduce the amount of time it takes for all your other programs and your web browser to load, and allow you to have more active at a time...while making it so that you can play later in the current versions of Civ and in BtS.

I would personally find that to be a no-brainer...but then again, since I build my own PCs I never would have started out with 256MB in the first place...if I were to build one now, I'd start with 2GB to ensure I'd have plenty for the next 3-5 years.

16. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

Five yrs ago these were my thoughts exactly, when 256Mb was more than enough

17. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

Well fuzzz you are right. They commited a grave injustice by lying on the box . But remember most of those involved in the scam have been punished. You must forgive and forget and by a 512 stick . THis way you will be somewhat ready for other games you might enjoy in the future.

ALso you can enjoy Civ4 more by playing Epic movie themes from 300 to Braveheart or Last of the Mochicans all by playing Winamp thats possible now with your cheap upgrade. Ditching the sleepy Civ4 soundtrack or mybe readin a website while you wait for your turn are other benifits to you uprgrade.

If I were you Id be hoping they find ways to minimize the graphics horrible effects on gameplay. THe "Conquests" X pak did exactly this for CIv3's boring waits between turns. Mybe some sloppy programming can be corrected this time aswell

18. T.A JONES

T.A JONES Deity

btw hows your video card? Mybe that would be upgraded cheaper. I can bet its not onboard or else you would have a black screen,just an idea sometimea goo video card can make this difference with this game

19. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

why is the idea of upgrading your computer to play a game the height of craziness for some people?

20. Fuzzz

Fuzzz you

2 yrs ago I upgraded my 10 yrs old videocard to a more recent one. This one does the job very good, thank you:)

@mrt144 ^ This is not the height of craziness to me, but to me it would just be a waste of money if you were to spend a whole lot of money on pc-parts, just for one single game (knowing that your pc is running every other program, application... fine).