Since when are Musketeers such bad-asses?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Buecephalus, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Buecephalus

Buecephalus Bolo Mark XXV

I was playing a game this morning as the Vikings (excuse me, Scandinavians) with the French to the east. Tensions mount, and just as I get my Berserks up and running, Joanie gets friskie and declares war on me. I'm thinking, oh no! Not the french! Ha, Ha, Ha, right? Wrong! They send Musketeers to ATTACK me. I'm laughing my butt off. 3 Musketeers (ironically enough) approach a city and proceed to kill both fortified musketmen and a Berserk that had just been produced. WTF? Now I may have missed a meeting but since when could Musketeers mount an attack? Did they bump them up for the PTW expansion? I'm currently building forces for a counter-attack which leads to a seperate discussion, Berserk are kinda wussies don't you think? I'll be using Knights to wipe out the frogs this game thank you.

2. HotDog Fish

HotDog Fish Leftist Loyalist

Musketeers have 3 attack, same as sworden. But in a war of attrition using Musketmen for offence is a horrible waster of shield. Scandanavian Beserk are far from wussy, they're attack is the same as gun weilding Cavalry and Infantry but they're defence is kinda low, never use them for defence and when using them for attack, bring some defensive units and create an SoD. But anyways the musketeers got lucky, I'd just reload the game and attack them before they can attack you

3. Buecephalus

Buecephalus Bolo Mark XXV

Fair enough, it seemed pretty strange that they'd be able to overcome fortified defenders. As for the Berserk, it may have the same attack power as cavalry but they seem to lose more often then cavalry. I guess one game isn't really a fair estimate of their worth, it's just a bad first impression.

4. HotDog Fish

HotDog Fish Leftist Loyalist

Well this is a gamer where spearmen beat modern armour so don't be so surprised. Remember to take into account city defence bouses etc. there are many odds calculating programs floating around that tell what % a unit has of chance are losing and winning either defending, attacking and against how many units. Well it depends on like I said before, they're not great at defence

5. Sim_One

Sim_One Emperor

Musketeers IMO is one of the worst UUs. Why do I need an extra attack for a defensive unit? A offensive unit with an extra defense is still pretty useful because they can protect conquered cities from counterattacks. But with a Musketeer having an attack of 3 when I can build Knights and Longbows just seems pointless with the exception when trying to gain a Golden Age by using the Musketeer to have a higher chance of successful attack. But then again, I can also get a GA when the Musketeer win a defense battle.

6. gugalpm

gugalpm Veteran of psychic wars

Totally agree with Sim_One... However, an offensive unit with a extra defense is as bad for me as a defensive with extra offense...
    And these Musketeers sure are nice!!!

7. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Agree with Sim_One.

Now that I think about it, considering that they gave a pink color to France and gave them the worst unit, perhaps that it's not a coincidence ? :D

8. Silverflame

Silverflame OBJECTION!

I think that the French have a terrible UU for the same reason why the Egyptians have such a terrible UU. Its probably because their civ-traits are really good.

Of course, now that Catharge is also commercial/industrious, I have no idea how the Numadian Mercenary is supposed to be bad...

9. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Egyptians UU ROCKS!

Cheap horsemen in time when no AI civ would have thier Iron connected.

Then add an early GA (let's say Chariot in 2-4turns) and you'll quickly overrun your enemies.

If someone is tought (like Greeks), no probelm: PILLAGE TIME.

Of course if you are not a warrior type you can just not use them, and build them in high amounts, then trigger later golden age and then upgrade them to Knights.

10. Shabbaman

Shabbaman rebuffing the rebels

Well, that's about the most OT I've seen in quite some time...
    I've never been bothered by such small numbers of musketeers, but in large stacks they can be very annoying.
    If they can't beat your defence, they fortify around your cities, and they're difficult to get rid of.

I tried to utilize them as offensive units once, in GOTM 10 I believe, but that was not a succes.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3combatcalc.html