1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Since when did this site start with the ridiculous "You won a prize...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by ndtim, Aug 3, 2007.

1. ndtim

ndtim Chieftain

Click here to download a virus" nonsense? This trend towards getting aggressive with bottom of the barrel ads kind of sucks.
    EDIT: I would imagine someone is more than breaking even by it.

2. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Chieftain

Keeps this site free, deal with it...

3. Zhahz

Zhahz PC Gamer

Kinda sucks - one of the reasons I've always liked this site over apolyton is lack of ad spam. :(

4. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

At first I was like what the hell are you talking about! Then I realized I was running firefox with my uber ad blockers and then I loled! I see 0 ads on this page =)
    Then I checked in Internet explorer to my digust seeing those annoying ads that must be making you all suffer.
    But fear not my brothers! I have a weapon to fight the back the darkness.

This not only blocks the banner but completely removes any refrence you would see to it. NO blank box where it was It just never loads and the page looks natural. The top of the page starts with

SITE NAVIGATION General Civilization IV Civilization III Civilization II Civilization Miscellaneous Marketplace

www.getfirefox.com The best web browser ever.

It has great built in features such as a saver that allows you to open the last pages you were at exactly where you were incase of a crash or closure. All your bookmarks from IE can be imported as well. And you have extra security from the fact that you aren't running a web browser thats connected to your OS.

Get Firefox extensions here

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:1/cat:all/sort:popular

Adblock Plus
    Flashgot
    Noscript(for advanced users who know what scripts are and how to use them)
    Fasterfox For enhanced prefetching.

Use these for a Ad free web browsing environment. Enjoy

5. hoffman44

hoffman44 Chieftain

Same here... Same here. :)

6. Saim

Saim King

I agree, Kranden, Firefox rules! Don't uninstall IE, though, because some stupid sites don't support it (though very rare and usually not well done).

7. IronCrown

IronCrown Black Foe of the World

Never even noticed... you get used to those annoying commercials.

Btw, at work I have only IE7 and at home I use FF. Astonishingly, I have come to find that the popup-blocker of IE7 is more effective than that of standard FF :crazyeye:

8. Kranden

Loading any ad slows down your load time on the internet and for me that is unacceptable. Give me Firefox or give me death!

9. Joosty

Joosty Chieftain

I don't know, maybe I've developed some kind of immunity over the years, but the few adds I see around on this site (top, bottom and right side) don't even get noticed until I actively pay start looking for it.

There's the occassional add shown between browsing but that just takes one click to skip. I even watch the add sometimes actually, it somehow capturing my curiosity.

Don't know about any pop-ups though. Using IE 7 and never got troubled by them here.

10. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Firefox FTW!

11. allansm

allansm Chieftain

Besides adblock plus, I use a extension called "ImgLikeOpera" that allows me to only load the images that I want.

12. Tristan daCunha

Tristan daCunha Pacifist Aggressive

Yes, I was disappointed with that ad too- blinking and twitching like a chihuahua on meth. But on more normal ads, I will sometimes click on them, especially if they are not the usual gamer oriented sites. I figure why not help support CFC, but that attitude definitely has its limits and that ad you refer to is way over the line.

13. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Wait this site has ads? I haven't seen one on here in years. Firefox plus Adblock for the win.

14. Kranden

And that is why firefox is FTW

15. Random Oracle

Random Oracle Warlord

Opera does the Ad-blocking just fine as well.

16. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Yeah I use Firefox as well, had no idea what the OP was talking about :)

17. snoochems

snoochems Prince

This is the first time i used IE (version 7) to browse this forum... i was suprised to be greeted with an ad page before i could actually go to the forums.

Might stick with firefox for this site me thinks.

Although, I like some of the features in IE7 that firefox hasn't got. (although if i seach for addons, I bet i could find what I want.)

18. ndtim

ndtim Chieftain

Usually, when I see "that ad" I think to myself, wow this might not be a safe site to be on.

19. Steiner-Davion

Steiner-Davion Warlord

Well supposedly FF for Windows has a lot more security holes in it than FF for Linux, thanks to the knuckleheads at Microsoft who don't want to play nice.

20. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

I concur with others. I had no idea this site nor Apolyton were using ads. Always been super-clean for me. I use Opera and ZoneAlarm on WinXP.