Singapore never becomes a British colony

FakeShady

Prince
okay so i've played RFC for quite some time now and i cant believe i've never spotted this error... My country, Singapore never becomes a British colony in any games ive seen. And the problem is that Khmer almost always settles it before England even has Astronomy, therefore even if Khmer collapses or whatever England still cant settle it. Besides, the Khmer never settled on Singapore, and fyi Singapura doesnt even sound Khmer, its Malay. I suggest that Singapore be out of Khmer's settler map so that the AI wont settle it, but the English AI would

It's not so much of an error as it is there for balance.
Taking out Singapore from the Khmer settler map would be nerfing a civilization that is already severely underpowered.

If everything was ultra-realistic, the Khmer would probably be relegated to OCC'ing the whole time (Unless that's what you wanted).
They're already an underpowered civilization (They're almost ALWAYS a vassal state) in RFC anyway
so I think letting them settle Singapore (although unhistorical) is welcome in terms of balance.
The same applies to whenever I see them take over parts of a collapsed China or (more rarely) India. Should it happen?
No. But is it good for the game for that to happen? Most definitely.

It just would seem unfair to the Khmer for that kind of thing to happen.
I mean, I don't know how you feel about that.

The English will often get Singapura in a Congress in my games...

Khmer can be used to represent any culture that represent Temasik..
Since we don't have Civs resemble the Sultanate of Malacca or Srivijaya or Independent Temasik City-state in Vanilla RFC..

The problem, IMO, is with or without Astronomy..
I mean, even if England starts from Astronomy, they're less likely to attack Khmer to get Singapore.. No idea why..

And that's what we at DoC trying to trick it so they would conquer~

BTW, Your country is really AWESOME ! :) Love your country.. #OOT

Well, you can use Leoreth's scripted settler and troops spawning to represent European colonialism in Asia.

Who cares about Singapore--it's an unproductive city in RFC.:lol:
Now Hong Kong is a totally different matter...

Singapore is not that bad. It can grow to quite a decent population.

Yeah..
Singapore is a pretty good city spot..
Though, historically until the dawn of modern era,
1 tile northwest (Malacca) should be the best city spot..

Khmer can be used to represent any culture that represent Temasik..
Since we don't have Civs resemble the Sultanate of Malacca or Srivijaya or Independent Temasik City-state in Vanilla RFC..

The problem, IMO, is with or without Astronomy..
I mean, even if England starts from Astronomy, they're less likely to attack Khmer to get Singapore.. No idea why..

And that's what we at DoC trying to trick it so they would conquer~

BTW, Your country is really AWESOME ! :) Love your country.. #OOT

Why, thank you! :D

i know Khmer culture is supposed to "represent" Temasek culture within another kingdom, i just think its a bit ridiculous becos the Khmer never sat foot in my country, and neither did the Thais or anyone else from that region. Its like saying "Let Brazil be settled by the Spanish to represent Portuguese colonization." lol. Maybe have it start as an independant city, and then give the Khmer more elephants or whatever to conquer the city, kinda like the other city Pagan, and then when the Khmer has the city change the city name to something that actually sounds more Khmer. Its funny cos "Singapura" just does not sound Khmer at all :mad:

On a more realistic note though, regarding those posts that the English will often demand for Singapore in a congress and/or declare war to secure it, well I've actually never seen that happen before!!! It does sound like a good idea though, i just do not remember actually seeing it happen. Maybe Rhye should code the English AI to make them more interested in securing Singapore one way or another?

Singapore is a TERRIBLE spot. It has little production, and the food is not that abundant. I.e. the whip doesn't work very fast there, compared to Jayakarta.

If cities don't cost stability, I would build it AFTER I build all my other cities.

Why, thank you! :D

Will be there in couple of months for School Study Tour to NUS ;)
*can't wait :lol: *

Its funny cos "Singapura" just does not sound Khmer at all :mad:

Really? Well, IMO it is..
Isn't it from Singa (Lion) + Pura (City)?
I saw Khmer's city name list have cities named Yasodharapura, btw :)

On a more realistic note though, regarding those posts that the English will often demand for Singapore in a congress and/or declare war to secure it, well I've actually never seen that happen before!!!

I've seen a few times before :)
Usually Singapura is asked by English/Portuguese..

Maybe Rhye should code the English AI to make them more interested in securing Singapore one way or another?

Unfortunately, IIRC, Rhye had stopped experimenting with this great mod long time ago.. Well if you mind, join us laa at Dawn of Civilization, a modmod of RFC by Leoreth.. or Project Synthesis modmodmod by Linkman in the modmod subforum.. :)

Ahhh NUS. Ive always wanted to be able to study there, but i have to serve in the army for now :mad:

Yes Singapura does mean Lion City, but not in Khmer language. Its Malay, our country's native people :)

I think the general idea is that native languages are used for cities in regions where a civ never actually expanded to. A realistical Khmer Empire would only own Angkor after all ...

It's because of Earth map projection, tropical areas get too few tiles compared to arctic areas. You can rework the whole Earth map to improve this problem, it will be a ultra huge task.

Why stop at Singapore? When's the last time you've seen British Hong Kong? Portugese Macao? or an American Phillippines?

It seems that Asia is generally ignored by all non-asian civs from a colonizing point of view. I remember some of us brought this up awhile back and that more or less we were told that everything had been done to encourage the AI to settle and colonize the areas in its historical sphere of influence.

I for one would definitely liked to have been an increased colonization impact on Asia and particularly those cities and areas historically affected.

Why stop at Singapore? When's the last time you've seen British Hong Kong? Portugese Macao? or an American Phillippines?

It seems that Asia is generally ignored by all non-asian civs from a colonizing point of view. I remember some of us brought this up awhile back and that more or less we were told that everything had been done to encourage the AI to settle and colonize the areas in its historical sphere of influence.

I for one would definitely liked to have been an increased colonization impact on Asia and particularly those cities and areas historically affected.

Play Dawn of Civilization, you frequently end up with a Portuguese Singapore, a Portuguese Macau, a Spanish Philippines, a Dutch West Indies

Ahhh NUS. Ive always wanted to be able to study there, but i have to serve in the army for now :mad:

Whoa, dude. There's wajib militer in Singapore?
*IDK the English word*

Yes Singapura does mean Lion City, but not in Khmer language. Its Malay, our country's native people :)

And my country too! :)
*heavily corrupted to form a brand new language, though*

Whoa, dude. There's wajib militer in Singapore?
*IDK the English word*

*heavily corrupted to form a brand new language, though*

Hhaha you must be Indonesian! Hello neighbour! ;) yep there's compulsory army service in our country too! LOL. The English word for it here is "National Service", most people here call it "forced labour" though. Personally, I call it "Nationhood Drafting", but i guess only people on civfanatics get it :lol: LOL!

Hhaha you must be Indonesian! Hello neighbour! ;) yep there's compulsory army service in our country too! LOL. The English word for it here is "National Service", most people here call it "forced labour" though. Personally, I call it "Nationhood Drafting", but i guess only people on civfanatics get it :lol: LOL!

Well, it usually is called the draft, so...

Top Bottom