Single city challenge

Sykes179

Warlord
Had just won a victory on immortal and I was after a different challenge. I hit upon the idea of a single city challenge. It was in a previous version (4?) and I read online about someone doing it.

Did it on Prince and won quite easily. When I play properly I always do random leader but this time I chose my Civ carefully (Peter). Will try on King next time. Quite enjoyed it and it was definitely good practice for the real thing.

Any thoughts?

I think it was Civ V that launched the single city challenge....but V was a tall game. Civ VI is exactly the opposite. I'm not sure a single city challenge is achievable on high levels. I've seen somewhere on these very forums someone who did it with a compressed 3 city challenge...

It's something I miss about V, that's for sure

I think it was Civ V that launched the single city challenge....but V was a tall game. Civ VI is exactly the opposite. I'm not sure a single city challenge is achievable on high levels. I've seen somewhere on these very forums someone who did it with a compressed 3 city challenge...

It's something I miss about V, that's for sure

Nah, it's definitely been in games before then. I know IV had an explicit OCC game mode, and the earlier ones might have as well. Usually they tweak a few things in the rules to get them working (in IV, you only needed 1 building before a national wonder instead of 6).

It's very tough in VI because everything has to go on the map, tiles become a real premium. And only having 1 Campus really makes it a challenge to keep up in science. I remember one game I had where I started near a natural wonder, in an isolated spot with a bunch of city-states essentially as "buffers", I tried restarting the game as a sort of OCC. I was going great up until the medieval or renaissance, but at that point, the AI had settled too much of the map and started to pull away. And then my friends decided to not be friends anymore, and I couldn't fight off the AI while also trying to build my spaceship.

I haven't tried in R+F yet, though. I think there's some things in the governors and government buildings which might help a OCC out. I've always liked it in the past - it makes for a nice quick game to play when I don't want to concentrate on a large empire.

It's very tough in VI because everything has to go on the map, tiles become a real premium. And only having 1 Campus really makes it a challenge to keep up in science. I remember one game I had where I started near a natural wonder, in an isolated spot with a bunch of city-states essentially as "buffers", I tried restarting the game as a sort of OCC. I was going great up until the medieval or renaissance, but at that point, the AI had settled too much of the map and started to pull away. And then my friends decided to not be friends anymore, and I couldn't fight off the AI while also trying to build my spaceship.
If Civ 6 had a OCC mode, it would work out. If everyone could only build 1 Campus, it wouldn't be hard to "keep up" in science with the rest of the AI civs. If you were just doing a self-imposed one city limit, but the AI was allowed to build as many cities as they could, the above-mentioned problem would exist.

I tried and succeeded with Korea on Emperor, then on Immortal when R&F first launched. Was easy enough to outstrip everyone else on research until later in the game, but the population-district limit becomes constraining, and very hard to keep up GP output into the late game. Science victory is still more than doable using trade routes to boost output, but I did start saving my pennies quite early on so that I would be able to grab some of the key GEs or GSs for Space victory.

Oh, and spies, spies, spies! Never made more intensive use of them than in those games...

If Civ 6 had a OCC mode, it would work out. If everyone could only build 1 Campus, it wouldn't be hard to "keep up" in science with the rest of the AI civs. If you were just doing a self-imposed one city limit, but the AI was allowed to build as many cities as they could, the above-mentioned problem would exist.

OCC mode has always only altered the rules for you, not for everyone. If I had to design a OCC mode in civ 6, I'd let a city work the 4th ring, and let you build multiple copies of a district. That'd end up as a fairly neat challenge and let you compete fairly decently.

Reactions: tzu
If I had to design a OCC mode in civ 6, I'd let a city work the 4th ring, and let you build multiple copies of a district

That sounds more like the Civ ability for potential Venice type civilization.

I miss Venice from Civ V. Opening up the fourth ring to development might work for a Civ VI OCC.

Well Venice wouldn't be OCC! They may get a lot of gold early, but not so important.

What you can do, is to reroll until you get a majestic location. Hopefully with a few CS nearby.

Pangaea, no bigger than standard, barbs off and pick Aztecs, Sumeria or Nubia. With all of these you can kill your closest enemy quickly, but then after that?

Aztecs can give you some workers, even on CS, Nubia can kill anything that is getting close, then Sumer, they can kill everything. They are all good, but only one shines!

You have founded your amazing city, other civs wants your land. Repel them at any cost and kill their cities close to you. Stuff diplo.

So now you have the choice of these 3 civs to help you out the most in the game. Aztecs can get you workers, a real big deal as you focus on building your districts. They can also continue warring, if only to get upgrades, they are good as.
Nubia can take it even further, 3 Pitati's and a scout can kill a city in 2-3 turns.
Sumeria and Gilgabro can kill a whole continent with his war carts, but the thing is, you can only build a few.

I won a OCC with Gilgamesh on King and SM, When I didn't need to throw out another cart, I worked those amazing ziggurats, WORK THEM!

No wonders, just research and troops to kill off those expanded cities from the AI, the less pop the less research. On the other hand, the more pop you have, more research.

Top Bottom