Single city strategy

Tesuji

Warlord
I enjoyed reading the discussion about which civ is the best one. I'd be interested to hear opinions on the following question:

If you could build only one city, which civ would you choose, and which victory condition would you go for?

Hmm...Probably Alexander and Diplo. Though Bismark, with raging barbs, and razing might also work. Japan and any victory, perfect for a strong defense and ability to go raze happy. Siam and either diplo or cultural, possibly science. Russia and any victory type, considering you'd probably only end up with one strategic resource, the double value would be very useful. One city really eliminates the usefulness of a lot of UA and UB's.

. Russia and any victory type, considering you'd probably only end up with one strategic resource, the double value would be very useful. One city really eliminates the usefulness of a lot of UA and UB's.

You can always try to trade more resources. Still, now that I think of it playing with the one city challenge setting enabled would mean you would pretty much have to start in the modern era if you want any useful resources at all, since you can't see any of them otherwise and things would be left way too much to raw chance.

India or Egypt...
India - more happy faces
Egypt + Tradition, more wonders

Can I have puppets?

My first reaction was no. But then thinking about it, maybe it's not unreasonable. Though it would still be rather different from really having one city only. But at least it won't contribute troops and no control over buildings.

My own feeling is France would be a good candidate. The reason being the one city needs to be large. With France you get better border expansion, plus the culture allows you to adopt policies that help you set up the growth of the city.

Although I liked the comments so far, I had hoped for a few more. I have yet to try it, but as soon as I finish my current game (Chinese on Emperor, going well) I'm going to give it a go.

Russia or Babylon.

There's plenty of unhappiness reduction in SPs weakening the choice of Ghandi.

The Krepost comes early enough to actually help, and combined with Landed Elite makes grabbing the full set of tiles easy.

Nobunaga is another choice; his UA makes fighting off multiple AI invasions more possible.

Babylon's GS generation makes reaching the end of the tech tree feasible.

My first reaction was no. But then thinking about it, maybe it's not unreasonable. Though it would still be rather different from really having one city only. But at least it won't contribute troops and no control over buildings.

My own feeling is France would be a good candidate. The reason being the one city needs to be large. With France you get better border expansion, plus the culture allows you to adopt policies that help you set up the growth of the city.

Although I liked the comments so far, I had hoped for a few more. I have yet to try it, but as soon as I finish my current game (Chinese on Emperor, going well) I'm going to give it a go.
I've won by 1800 AD with one city + puppets by culture on Immortal. I used Siam, but I've also done a (slightly worse) version with France. Should be just as possible post-patch.

playing a game at the moment as gandi, finding it real hard to make enough money to have any puppets ... and going for a cultural victory, couldnt see anything else possable

playing a game at the moment as gandi, finding it real hard to make enough money to have any puppets ... and going for a cultural victory, couldnt see anything else possable
Puppets only increase your gold per turn. They easily cover their own maintenance. Cultural victory's definitely the best route due to puppets not contributing to policy cost (which in my opinion makes them better than your own cities).

It used to be Siam, due to the rounding error allowing awesome city-state yields. If we're allowed puppets, perhaps the Songhai for a cultural victory?

India, Egypt, and France I would detract from personally. Egypt mainly because, one city is not a great idea for builder's, to balance units, plus a few usefully buildings, with wonders to? Very tough, clearly not an option if you want puppets. India is just fairly weak in the situation, I had a tough enough time just keeping them to 3 cities and no puppets while going for cultural against the aggressive expansion of the British, Romans, and Alexander.

A Single City Challenge is fun except for the fact that (come war) ANY city you take is instantly deleted from the face of the earth. This includes puppeted city states you wish to liberate as well as AI puppeted capitals. Shame the game won't automatically liberate them (thus allowing diplomatic wins). Or allow you to puppet any city but only initially build ONE CITY. File in the REQUEST bin please. :thanx:

Just won my first Immortal game - pangea, cultural victory with India - I built two cities though. I didn't get into a single war the whole game - so I guess I got lucky.

Was the most boring game ever: The second half of the game I didn't do much except hitting the "Next Turn" button and waiting for a minute until the AI moved there troops. It sucked - however now I have won a game on Immortal yay =)

What about Aztecs. Their capital would be HUGE thanks to their UB, you can get culture damn fast & jaguars will help you in getting an edge earlier so that you are in a better situation defending against rushes.

A Single City Challenge is fun except for the fact that (come war) ANY city you take is instantly deleted from the face of the earth. This includes puppeted city states you wish to liberate as well as AI puppeted capitals. Shame the game won't automatically liberate them (thus allowing diplomatic wins). Or allow you to puppet any city but only initially build ONE CITY. File in the REQUEST bin please. :thanx:

One city + a puppet empire is not the intent of OCC. It's supposed to be a challenge.

So the city disappears instantly. No razing process. No happiness hit while said city is razing. No social policy cost increase. Even a capital instantly disapears and cannot be retaken by the civ later. In short absolutely ill effect that would in any way slow down conquest.

I'm thinking OCC mongol keshik stomp.

I finished an OCC recently with India on King difficulty and got a cultural achievement by spamming wonders and allying myself with cultural city states. I was able to hold off Cathrine the entire game, but almost lost after she started nuking me near the end. -_-

My thought going in was that India's unique ability was well suited to a OCC, but you've got so much happiness already with just one city that I think I would have benefited more from another civ. If I did another OCC, I'd probably try my hand with Japan for their ability to attack at full-strength (useful for holding off aggressors), or Eqypt. That 10% bonus for wonders would have really sped things along. A commercial civ like Arabia probably wouldn't be bad either, since a lot of your production is buying stuff and some more gold in your civ's purse is always useful to that end.

One city + a puppet empire is not the intent of OCC. It's supposed to be a challenge.

Running a One City Challenge SHOULD allow you to LIBERATE or Destroy a city that has been puppeted once you have taken it. Frankly a domination win via OCC is just as boring as any other and is not a challenge in the least. Making your way peacefully or acting as a police force (liberating puppeted civs and CC's) when war is pressed and winning a cultural or diplomatic win while surviving is more fo a challenge.

Top Bottom