Single Era "viking" City

Hrafnkell

Alheithinn
I took as the basis for this city the Trelleborg fortress I used for the Jomsviking Wonder. Assuming that most settlements founded by the Norsemen outside of Scandinavia during the Viking Age would have been war camps, I built on this theme by adding longhouses outside the walls for the size 2 city and then built my own Hedeby-type settlement for the size 3. I built the turf walls and streets myself and then cut and pasted the various European buildings into the circle. It has a muddy streetI hope it will be useful for Viking Age scenarios.

I haven't tested it in game yet and can't post in-game shots as my son broke my civ disk.

Preview showing walled and "unwalled" cities::

The Files:

Attachments

• NORSEWALL.zip
    5.3 KB · Views: 277
  • rNORSE.zip
    16.7 KB · Views: 281
I was able to get another copy of Civ to test the city graphics. Here is a screenshot of the level 1, 2 and 3 cities. I have to rework the fortress because the moat is not showing up. I'll post a correction later today.

This is really high-quality stuff. A bit too big, though. :)

Thank you!

As for size, here is a comparison - a MidEast metropolis, the Norse metropolis and an Asian metropolis. I really do not think it is too big - it is because it is rounded and has no empty areas around the border of the city that makes it seem larger. If you measure the city from right border to left, or top to bottom, it is no larger than the other two - in fact, they're the same size almost exactly:

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    312.1 KB · Views: 897
By the way... mind if we sort of come over, sack and burn a little... just some kind of visit your new cities, you know...

;)

Yeah, I wish each civ could have their own as well. Something like this is good for scenarios and not much else, sadly. The five Firaxis lets us have are, as everyone has said before, sadly limiting and inadequate.

::Chuckles:: You crazy Normans. I wouldn't want any of that bunch dating my sister, that's for sure.

Thank you, Juul. Glad you like them. If my library list in my signature gets any longer, I'm going to have to start up my own library, which will make finding things a bit easier, and then I can throw in a few things I haven't posted yet as well.

Top Bottom