1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v35 download - After the 18th of August 2014

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Harrier

Harrier Chieftain

Sorry I missed this post or would have replied sooner.

To quote Sparth, from a previous request of mine:

This was of course a quick fix.

In fact you can use any of the standard unit artstyles - American, European, South_American, China etc.

You can not use a civ specific unit artstyle like Moari.

2. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

I run the "FIXED_GEM_ preset_No_Custom_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave" which comes along with the v35 donwnload package

at north of South America there are some clipping failures, and, when I point to such locations or when there are units and next turn get processed and it shows it there to give the units an order, the game can't crate the units well but crashes.

Attached the sav and the logs. Look in minimap for the white point on norh costs of South America, there is a fort and beside that some workers building a street. If I click on that point in mini map, either I get the CTD immedeately, or massive clipping failures and a CTD little time later.

Memory use of the game at that time is 2.2 GB only (I have win7/64, 4GB vRam + 16GB Ram), so it can't be an memory allocation error.

3. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

some turns later same issue, CTD while moving to north of Sout America
    I opened the wordlbuilder and found a wild animal (looks like a tapi, but in world builder I can't see the name) nearby to the fort with clipping failure. I deleted it, saved and start the turn new and it did not crash again.

BTW: also Crocodile (big) has wrong image

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Turn unit animations on. If you have them off it only displays the correct image for many units if they are selected. It is in the graphics engine somewhere and we can't do anything about it :sad:

5. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

and for what is the master huntger good ? :lol:

also very old image failure is the Resin with Plantage, there is an image missing.

BTW: attached a screenshot of a usage memory made by a tool I have from Skyrim. It doesn't work ingame but monitors the usage well. It may be helpful to understand the probem with memory allocation error = CTD
    currently I get it every 3 turns, and the memory usage is independent if I set all to low grafics and disable animations, or run all with high resolution and have enabled all.

As I understand there are too much and too much different units/animals in game, it's not a question of number of fractions, and it grows up with mass of barbarian and wild animals. Number of units should be limited per city, i.e. 50 per city, so that the AI cannot build mass of animals as low cost units to protect a city or has placed on each field 25-40 units, or build hundrets of ancient ships instead (i.e.) a worker to develop the area. Each unit, particularly if it is a different one, gives an entry and takes ram, not vRam, but memory.

see attachment

6. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

That has been fixed on the SVN but I can't figure out how to make a patch for the download version.

7. Harrier

Harrier Chieftain

The Caveman2Cosmos tab in BUG has an option. 'Maximum Units Per Tile'. You could try using that. It would of course apply to all tiles not just the city ones.

8. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

beeing at year 395 bC and now it comes to memory border already all two turns. Sav load already needs 2.45 GB ram

if this goes forward with the usage in same rate, I can calculate when the load of the sav will need more ram than possible, means CTD already when loading.

Is here someone who ever played the map until its end fine? (and if so, with what settings and what ini and what system?)

9. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

where it is?? I can't find it in BUG settings table window.

Edit:
    found it at BUG -> caveman2cosmos

but gives no real solution. The map has too much fields, the AI simply moves the units to the free fields. If an AI faction has 100 fields (what is not so much, it's only 10x10) and I limit to (i.e.) 20/field, it still has 2000 units max, even with one city.

Also, the AI does not upgrade units, even if it has money. This would reduce the units overall a lot.

10. alpha2929

alpha2929 Chieftain

Anybody? :(

11. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

Try to delete z_experimental directory.

You can find him here:
    Assets\Modules\DancingHoskuld\Subdue_Animals\z_experimental\

12. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

ok, I try it.

just got the Game Over, see attachment (4)

Edit:
    folder deleted, load sav, got first question if to recalculate, say no, confirmed lot of warnings because missing files. Then made a new sav, exit.
    Load new, then ctrl-shift-T, wait ~ 15 min, then run that turn, after several moves to units/cities which need an oder, I got again CTD. Cannot finish the turn.

As you can see on attached monitor image (5), the use of vRam is little less than before (4), but it reaches the ram boder nevertheless.

BTW: the significant difference I see to v33 is that in v33 it always run close at ram border, but not above. There was something what is no longer in v35, and that prevented to overload ram. In v35 the rise of ram usage is ~ 300 MB/turn, that was not in v33 (or not so early. in v33 I run a game until later than magnet train, and this with 40 or 42 factions, here I have 32 only)

13. alberts2

alberts2 Chieftain

I have a few another solutions like as example higher build cost. If they would take 3 times longer to build nobody could build that many units.

That is the end, the game can't handle any more used memory. But this is alot better compared with v34 because back then more then 2GB where not possible.

14. alpha2929

alpha2929 Chieftain

Did it, unfortunately, CTD still reproduces.

15. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

v34 is not comparable, it was sh*** anyways. You need to compare with v33, and that had not such problems. v35 basically has same ram problems as v34.

The question is, what got changed in this relation from v33 to v34/v35?

From my current point of víew all after v33 is focussed to nicer graphics but not to better working and with less bugs.

They should go two steps back, and fix the bugs in v33, and when it works until the end of the game well, then they can look what graphics they can add/replace. But v34+v35 is the reverse way and that is not successfully.
    :rolleyes:

or, someone may say concrete how he ever could play it until its end.

Edit:
    see attachment (6)
    same sav as before, but in window mode
    and in ini set MemSaver = 0
    as you can see, vram usage goes over 256 MB now
    means, the MemSaver = 1 does limit the vram usage at 256 MB
    maybe this will cause CTDs too. I continue and see what happens.

16. alberts2

alberts2 Chieftain

Lots of graphics and civs where added after v33. There is also higher memory usage because of some additions in the dll.

v35 is better then v34 because as i said before now you can use more memory. With v34 you would not be able to even use 2gb ram and now it is 2.7gb. This is because some civs where removed since v34 and sparth did a good job with ArtFile cleaning. I found a few memory leaks and fixed them and so on.

We have to reduce the memory usage in the dll and i think we have to start with Plots and Units.

17. Sparth

Sparth C2C Team Member

18. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

I log it now running win window mode:

Ram 2,218 MB => click next turn
    vRam 276 MB

Ram 2,543 MB => click next turn
    vRam 396 MB

Ram 2,718 MB => do turn's moves and orders
    vRam 396 MB

Ram 2,801 MB => do a sav and click next turn
    vRam 396 MB

Ram 2,832 MB => CTD
    vRam 396 MB

restart and load last sav
    Ram 2,200 MB => click next turn
    vRam 276 MB

Ram 2,329 MB => do turn's moves and orders
    vRam 284 MB

Ram 2,663 MB => do a sav and click next turn
    vRam 318 MB

Ram 2,742 MB => do turn's moves and orders
    vRam 339 MB

Ram 2,756 MB => do a sav and click next turn
    vRam 340 MB

Ram 2,796 MB => some Leaderheads come up
    vRam 343 MB
    Ram 2,796 MB => do a sav and do turn's moves and orders
    vRam 344 MB

Ram 2,801 MB => do a sav and click next turn (I expect it will give CTD now)
    vRam 344 MB

Ram 2,825 MB => Yes, CTD while processing next turn
    vRam 344 MB

I think, these figures are clear. The solution would be if it is possible to clean the ram before or after processing "next turn" so that the ram usage is same (or nearby same) as with a new load of a sav.

Then the game would have ~ 500-600 MB free ram for each turn, and that would be fine to go forward w/o CTDs. Each turn takes ~ 300 - 350 MB ram, maybe more in later game.

The grafic ram usage is relatively little, it rises up only if you move over the world a lot (i.e. if you made a global upgrade for all ships or units and have to give new orders to all) or if there pops up lot of leaderheads and such. But whether this breaks any vRam border depends from grafic card. 512 MB should be fine, 1GB dedicated vRam superious, and 2GB or even more you never should be able to break. (as long as you don't open the world builder often)

Also, the grafic settings in options give no solution. For my tests it was absolute irrelevant if I set to high resolution or low resolution, if I set with or w/o animation or made other changes. All that is for the vRam usage only, it gives little difference only for the Ram usage.

The critical point is the regular ram and its 3 GB border and that the ram gets no refreshed in the game but all gets added always.

This problem you will not get managed with less civ factions or other workarounds, but only, if you find a way to empty the ram after each turn. Maybe by store first and then instant reload.

19. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

I'm all for reducing the mod's memory footprint and I'm sure the sheer excess of resources could be looked at seriously, as well.

20. Dreifels

Dreifels Chieftain

this is a work around only, not a problems fix.

You need to empty the ram before or after each turn's processing so that the blocked and no longer neccessary ram parts get free for new adressing.

Otherwise you always add usage of ram and by this you come to its border earlier or later anyways.

The game must be payable well until its end.

Edit
    I need to correct what I told below the above monitoring figures:
    There is a relation to a CTD if you set grafic with high terrain details or not of ~ 180MB vRam for me and as it looks like the game stores the grafic first in Ram before moving to vRam, it may cause a CTD when the free ram at turn beginning (or end) is less than ~ 200 MB
    So playing with the high terrain details lowers free ram for operation and may be a difference if you have a CTD every 3 or every 2 turns.