Single Player bugs and crashes v35 download - After the 18th of August 2014

Please report all single player bugs and crashes from the v35 download here.

SVN users please use the other thread. This will make it easier for all when trying to find solutions.

The SVN is a beta version of the next release and will contain fixes to the current version but is in a state of flux. If you want to use the SVN version instead of the download see the SVN thread.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.

If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0 

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1

Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

Known issues
Forming a Colony may cause you to declare war on everyone including your other vassals.

Boats on auto explore will try and heal next to land units that are damaging them. They stay there trying until they sink.

Signs you place on the map disappear if you save.

The map script Three Planets probably wont work crashing to desk top. There is something wrong with the way the terrain graphics interact. If you use the older alternate terrain graphics it will probably work. Not sure with the newer alternate terrain graphics. We are trying to figure out why.

The Mangrove terrain feature is the cause of the various grain resources and others sometimes looking like swamps. It is being looked at but is basically a complete mystery.​

Did a Play Now! to clear settings (it started successfully), went back up and started a Custom Game, got a CTD. Will turn on logging and try again.

Two minor things I noticed for the Rapa Nui Worker:
-Special Abilities lists TXT_KEY_BUILD_MOAI
-Sub Combat Types has things like Size(Medium) '[COLOR_WARNING]Not Available to Units without the % Game Option being active.

Just noticed it's the 17th. Go ahead and delete this if it's too early.

edit: Arboria and Big & Small work, Three Planets CTDs.

That is one of the problems with international projects - it was the 18th here when I posted the threads and I forgot it was still only the 17th in Europe, Africa and the Americas.

Three Planets is a known problem. I'll add it to the opening post as a known problem.

We will look into the others.

edit I have a fix for the Moai build. Can't find the sub combat types message in the TEXT files so it is probably generated in the dll or python.

Started a game in the prehistoric era, and I have access to techs like artificial evolution and cybernetics? Sure, they take like a gajillion turns to get to, but a single good roll on a goodie hut and....

That is one of the problems with international projects - it was the 18th here when I posted the threads and I forgot it was still only the 17th in Europe, Africa and the Americas.

Three Planets is a known problem. I'll add it to the opening post as a known problem.

We will look into the others.

edit I have a fix for the Moai build. Can't find the sub combat types message in the TEXT files so it is probably generated in the dll or python.
I'll sort out the text message... perhaps there's just some syntax error in that line. Not that I recall there being one but should be easily enough fixed if there is.

Started a game in the prehistoric era, and I have access to techs like artificial evolution and cybernetics? Sure, they take like a gajillion turns to get to, but a single good roll on a goodie hut and....
You've somehow started a game with messed up option settings.

Start a new game using the Play Now option. Then save it and get out of it. Then start a game on Custom Settings and set the game up to what you desire and it should work fine from there. The game you're on is to be discarded immediately as there's no known full cure for the problems you will have from there.

see attached shots

edit:
also city names generated by AI have this error

edit2:
1) city names txt string buggy for lot of AI cities, in wordlbuilder manually edit possible, but lot of work. Need to open worldbuilder and check any AI city existing. Problem is not for all AI cities.

2) also buldings have string error, see image, but no edit by worldbuilder possible.

maybe this is only if conversion from sav made of former C2C version and not if start of a new game.

see attached shots

edit:
also city names generated by AI have this error

edit2:
1) city names txt string buggy for lot of AI cities, in wordlbuilder manually edit possible, but lot of work. Need to open worldbuilder and check any AI city existing. Problem is not for all AI cities.

2) also buldings have string error, see image, but no edit by worldbuilder possible.

maybe this is only if conversion from sav made of former C2C version and not if start of a new game.

The first one if pointing to a python error. Do you have the PythonErr.log file that contains more information about the problem? If so please post it. That file is cleared every time you start a game session.

I am investigating the others.

edit I can't find TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OCOTLAN used anywhere in the mod. Am I misreading the error in pic 2? I am dyslexic so may have transposed some letters. Or do you have extra civs in your game that are not in the download?

Text like TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OCOTLAN happens when civs that were removed are replaced by still existing ones. Every city of that civ has it's name as "TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_<cityname>"

So it is something that existing games will have to live with, since we removed all those extra civilizations to stop the number of MAF and CTDs.

Currency civics except Coinage are back to not allowing using Gold to finish a building. Hurrying with gold was added in 7761 and removed again in 7807.

Playing with v35 there seems to be a problem with the vulcano event. If triggered the event fires many many times leading to extreme high food bonuses (50+ food) for the tiles around the vulcano. It seems these bonuses are permanent. Cities near an erupted vulcano more or less explode populationwise.
I tried to remove the bonuses via world builder but wasn't able to do this. Is there any possiblitly to a.) remove the bonuses via world builder and b.) disable the vulcano event, without starting a new game?

Attachments

• Vulcano.jpg
    Vulcano.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 130
There's a CTD when you click next turn. No idea what might cause it. I had to compress the minidump to a .7z file, .dmp isn't a supported attachment filetype.

In addition to this issue, some of the world generation options never seem to finish creating a world. Which ones, I'll get back to you on that. Edit: I thought C2C_PerfectWorld2f, C2C_PerfectWorld and C2C_PerfectMongoose_v310 never go beyond Initializing... phase, but I wasn't patient enough. :| Maybe add a warning that those generators take a long time to generate a map?

Edit: This isn't a bug really, but a game breaking feature. Since my neanderthal game is screwed, I decided to try the australian empire, since it's the only civ (v34 had more) that starts with oceanian culture. Noble difficulty. I got Menzies as the leader, he has the financial trait, which causes 2 unhappiness. You really can't get your empire off the ground, since your only citizen is a rebel on turn 1. Try it, you'll see what I mean. You might want rethink the financial trait, the unhappiness part at least.

Attachments

• Slopehead BC-9450.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • MiniDump_7833.7z
    13.6 KB · Views: 63
---
edit I can't find TXT_KEY_CITY_NAME_OCOTLAN used anywhere in the mod. Am I misreading the error in pic 2? I am dyslexic so may have transposed some letters. Or do you have extra civs in your game that are not in the download?

maybe this is the reason:
original I took from ROM the "RFC Earth with big Europe 50 civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave" and made it playable with C2C v33

It worked so far fine, except the problem that the game start data I could not set to 50,000 bC, world builder always replaced my setting with 6.000.

OnSunday (18th) I deleted my Civ4 installation and set up it new with the download version of C2C v35, but keep the sav of the game that I was playing.

When I start v35 and load the sav it says that several fractions etc. are not valid and replaced them by other (civs, leaders) of v35.

I think, that this process could not handle well the stored city names of a former sav. It should let the names as they are stored in sav. There is no need to change citynames if load a sav as you also can edit them in world bulder always.

My solution was that I open world editor and renamed all these cities manually. It really were all cities of factions that got replaced with the first load of the sav.

BTW: the downloadable v35 is a lot smaller than the former versions. Is that correct?
v33' .7z = 1.27 GB
v35' .7z = 733MB

BTW2:
the "RFC Earth with big Europe 50 civs" of ROM is the ideal solution if you look for a map that is less than GEM but more than SEM.
I'm playing it with 30 civs and Revolution/Barbarians.
Never understood why that map no one made fully compatible to C2C before.

Currency civics except Coinage are back to not allowing using Gold to finish a building. Hurrying with gold was added in 7761 and removed again in 7807.

bad idea which I don' t understand. Hurrying should be possible for most currency versions, as it is in reality, too.

But the general calculation of inflation should be redone complete to become more like reality. (or is it part of the engine and not able to change?)

In version 34, I used ViewPorts, the game worked. In version 35 I did the same settings in the file ParallelMaps_GlobalDefines.hml, but now I have the MAF at the first turn, generated file Dump, but it is empty.

Another question. In version 34 was WORLDSIZE_IMMENSE
<iGridWidth>75</iGridWidth>
<iGridHeight>50</iGridHeight>
Why in version 35 it does not exist? Can I put for WORLDSIZE_GIGANTIC instead 50 and 30 other values&#8203;&#8203;, such as 75 and 50?

BTW: the downloadable v35 is a lot smaller than the former versions. Is that correct?
v33' .7z = 1.27 GB
v35' .7z = 733MB

Yes, a lot of effort was put into reducing the size by removing duplicates. Especially in the area of art.

BTW2:
the "RFC Earth with big Europe 50 civs" of ROM is the ideal solution if you look for a map that is less than GEM but more than SEM.
I'm playing it with 30 civs and Revolution/Barbarians.
Never understood why that map no one made fully compatible to C2C before.
It takes time and effort to convert a map to use the terrains available in C2C.Someone needs to be interested enough in the map to do the work.
In version 34, I used ViewPorts, the game worked. In version 35 I did the same settings in the file ParallelMaps_GlobalDefines.hml, but now I have the MAF at the first turn, generated file Dump, but it is empty.

Another question. In version 34 was WORLDSIZE_IMMENSE
<iGridWidth>75</iGridWidth>
<iGridHeight>50</iGridHeight>
Why in version 35 it does not exist? Can I put for WORLDSIZE_GIGANTIC instead 50 and 30 other values&#8203;&#8203;, such as 75 and 50?

Viewports should not be necessary any more.

Immense does not exist because you can't finish a game at that size.

A major graphical glitch seems to be coming from the animal called "babirusa". It causes the entire screen to flicker and places a grey bar the length of the screen over the animal. Once I killed it the graphical problem was fixed. I don't have a screenshot or anything but since I know where it is coming from it probably isn't needed.

Turns out I subdued one and it did the same thing while subdued in my city. I created a story about it called the Myth of the Boar so my civs children will know about the babirusa and the great grey line and how the mythical creature made the skies flicker.

It takes time and effort to convert a map to use the terrains available in C2C.Someone needs to be interested enough in the map to do the work.
I would do it if I get easy undertandable instruction.

Currently the only way I know is the world builder, and with it I cannot set the start date right to 50.000 BC, it always sets it back to 6.000.

Also, I not yet know how to place the natural wonders well, too much for the map. But w/o those it seems to work (currently testing with 30 civs, be at end of Mid Age), correction of resources (some elephants on top of mountains, horses in America, rubber in antarctis, etc. etc.) and correct of civ's start points costs me ~ 5 hrs for it. To make it not quick and dirty but fine for publishing, I'll need ~ 8 hrs I believe, so it would be acceptable.

The map really is the ideal solution for those, who don't want the GEM but also don't like the little SEM. (start sav size ~ 700kb, compared with GEM it needs half of RAM and CPU time, and with 30-32 civs it is very good to start.)

two error messages, see attacced imaghes, also all log files in one zip attached (just of that one turn)

edit:
in v35 package is a "FIXED_GEM_ preset_No_Custom_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave" and a GEM
what is the difference?

Top Bottom