1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v36 download - After the 24th of October 2015

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mabusis

mabusis Chieftain

Thanks, i changed that, but it's still not working. :sad:

"Directory from cvAltroot.py is not valid or does not contain CivilizationIV.ini"

I just have a _Civ4Config file in my beyond the sword installation folder.

I found the CivilizationIV.ini file in User/Documents/My Games/beyond the sword.
    But my name contains a non-english letter, so i don't think this will work.

2. YUNnw

YUNnw Chieftain

I found a C++ Runtime Error crash caused by Spies, probably by the "Gather Intel" command.
    I had about 6 spies in an enemy city and all were on "Gather Intel", then I conquered that city and those spies were still on "Gather Intel", after I ended the turn it crashed during turn loading with Runtime Error
    I tried it 5 times and everytime the same thing, then I took the spies out of the city after I had conquered it and it didn't crash anymore..

Dumpfile said: "The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.", error 0xC0000005

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Assuming you've posted in the correct thread to what you're playing with, I'll have to try to replicate that at some point and see if I can figure out what happens in that scenario.

If you're playing on the latest SVN version, by all means, upload a save with instructions on how to replicate.

4. YUNnw

YUNnw Chieftain

I'm not using the SVN version, I can try to post the save file next time I go conquer some cities and put spies there to see if it happens again

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

If you're not on the latest SVN, a save cannot assist. I'll only be able to take guesses as to where the problem may lie.

6. YUNnw

YUNnw Chieftain

It happened again, I had 4 spies in an enemy city, 3 of them were on "Gather Intel" (set on "Gather Intel" on different turns). I used one spy to do "Support City Revolt" and I captured the city and on next turn load it crashed with Runtime Error.
    I tried it again, used one spy to do "Support City Revolt" and cancelled the "Gather Intel" command on the other spies and just skipped their turn, captured the city and it didn't crash.

I guess that's the most detailed version I can give from that scenario. Although I've noticed it doesn't always crash under that condition.

From guessing what *could* happen is that it crashes when one of the spies' "Gather Intel" command finishes just when the city is captured

EDIT: Sometimes it crashes with Runtime Error message, sometimes it just exits to desktop, but dumpfile always says the same error
    EDIT 2: Can you give any hint where this "Gather Intel" command is in the mod files? I could take a look at it

7. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The crash is in the coding. I can already imagine what kind of error it'll give me but I'm not sure where it will come from exactly without analyzing it further. If I can get a save from the current assets that replicates the issue then it would probably take only about an hour to fix (mostly the time to recompile the dll after finding and repairing the matter.)

8. YUNnw

YUNnw Chieftain

I can try to replicate the crash (via world edit) on the latest SVN if I have time but no promise

9. Redwaller66

Redwaller66 Chieftain

Hi, I tried to upload my MiniDump_8782.dmp file, but it said the .dmp is not supported.. I am kind of confused because it says -8782, but isn't that the SVN? I am not going to pretend that I know what I am doing. I thought that I had just the downloaded V36 version from the main download because I did not see the hide and seek option in the game options on the world builder. I know at one point I downloaded the SVN and dropped the file onto the C2C mod folder. I know I had a _7xxx as well, but I saw it was last modified in 2014 so I deleted it. I thought I had gone back to the main downloaded v36 version, but now I am not sure what the heck I have.

Anywho, I have come to a point in my game after 2600+ turns playing the biggest map size, the longest duration, the max amount of civs on initiation, where when I press enter to end turn it loads for a few seconds and then CTD with no error message. I seem to remember the game doing the same thing back when I played v34 or 35 back in 2014, which is why I quit playing then. Back then my laptop was going down the tubes (2012 Dell XPS i7 laptop). I seem to remember back then someone saying it was probably due to my computer's memory or something. The file I had back then was 8600KB when it was crashing. Currently, my save file (which I uploaded, but for some reason leads back to documents and my games rather than through steam where all the files for the game are) is 6296KB. I was only at the start of the ancient era, and have probably spent over 10k hours (because it takes 2-4 minutes to load between each turn since turn number 1) on that save.

I am guessing this is a working memory issue with my computer rather than the game's fault. My computer tells me I still have about half of my storage memory available on my computer.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated on how to perhaps allocate more resources to the game, or edits to files I could do, etc.

P.S. Doesn't matter what I do in game it crashes at that turn.

Thank you in advance for any replies. =)

Attached Files:

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You're likely experiencing MAF errors (memory allocation failure). This is not due to storage memory lacking but due to RAM lacking. Given what you said about the amount of time it's taking to process I would be willing to bet that you're on an XP system that may benefit from the 3GB switch (search that term on the forum here and you'll find instructions on setting that up. It's just a trick of system management.)

That said, I doubt your system specs are good enough to really handle the game as a general whole. You are using Hide and Seek so it sounds like you may have one of the crime patches Joseph released. This would thus be the first MAF report I've heard of in a while. If you're playing max sized maps and such on a computer that struggles to run the game in the first place though... kinda a recipe for what you're experiencing. Look at the minidump... does it have any memory on it or is it a 0 memory minidump? (I can't use a mini from an older version to determine anything unfortunately.)

You could also just be encountering a crash but those seem pretty clear lately. (Well, there WAS an issue with early versions of neanderthal cities that could lead to a premature MAF scenario... fixed now on current assets that also break savegames unfortunately) I might suggest to start a new game on the current assets but if there's any way to upgrade that system, I'd do it!

Redwaller66 likes this.
  11. Redwaller66

Redwaller66 Chieftain

Ya, I know it was a recipe for disaster playing on the largest and longest settings, but that`s a big part of what I love the most about this mod. XD
    I actually have windows 10, my computer was originally 7 but I took the free upgrade. The file size of my minidump is 68 KB if that is what you mean.
    Also, I meant I do not have hide and seek, for it did not show up on the list of options I could enable/disable in the worldbuilder.
    I think I'm SOL until I can afford to get another computer. Maybe in a year or two!
    I appreciate your feedback. I have so much respect for you guys. I would donate to this mod like I used to do with minecraft mods back in 2010 to show my support, but I'm a broke bloke. XD

Cheers mate!

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

You could be running into a real crash then. This gets back to needing to get an updated version of the game from the SVN as all known crash points have been resolved, but it would break that particular save to do so. The good news is it doesn't appear to be a MAF so you haven't reached the limits of your system quite yet.

If the system started with Win 7 I'm surprised it's moving that slowly. You must've had a game from when the caching for the military unit attack evaluations were down. I would be willing to bet if you got an updated SVN version, you'd find the play to be much improved both on speed and capacity to extend the game. I don't think it's worth giving up on the mod but that save it might be.

Redwaller66 likes this.
  13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Just a couple of points that need to be looked at
    1. In my last 3 games no Mammoths have spawned at all even though there are plenty of Mammoth bonuses on the map

2. The tornado event is still not working right

It is happening OK and it is putting the tornado terrain feature graphic on the plot.However the graphic is not being removed even when the tornado terrain feature seems to have gone the graphic is there. The tornado terrain feature is impassible and is supposed to go after one turn. Sure enough units can't move into the plot on the turn the event happens but they can the next.

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Working on resolving spawns now. My original assessment on how to reprogram it would throw a lot of babies out with the bathwater but I think I've hit on another method to balance out spawns on minimal numbers of accessible tiles with spawns that have vast swaths of land to access. It's working but I think I over medicated the system so I've just gotta recalibrate a bit. I expect to have a release of this new methodology in spawns later today.

EDIT: I also looked into the mammoth spawn... I didn't realize there were spawn files in modular format. They had missed being updated for the new player IDs. Mammoths were among these few. This will be fixed on next update as well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  15. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

What does it take now to open a saved game with Notepad, it doesnt work??

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I have no insight into this issue. I didn't think you ever could really except that scenarios from WB seem to be able to.

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

You can't and never ave been able to. They are not text format but binary. Only WB saves can be edited that way.

18. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

thats what i meant, i got a game from the start and then went into the WB and saved it in the WB but still cant read it??

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Latest SVN loads my save and asks if I want to do a recalc. If I press Yes it immediately CTDs! However if I say No then save and exit, start and load I don't get the question but pressing Shift-Ctrl-T causes it to CTD again. This is a new game started after the break saves update.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

So it crashes on a recalc? Interesting. Don't recalc... there shouldn't be need to anyhow. However, I'll test here to see if I can duplicate a recalc crash and if I can't I'll need your save so if you can post it while I'm away (going out for a bit) then I will have that on hand to test with if needbe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.