1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v36 plus (SVN) - After the 24th of October 2015

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Oct 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parsec

Parsec Chieftain

can someone have a quick look for the ordinance-"buildings"?
    it looks to me they are only active in the city where the judge activated them although it is stated that all cities are affected.

there are 2 exceptions: "prostitution ban" and "alcohol Prohibition"

but maybe they are working this way...

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Hey cool you found it!
    • Limited Units per tile: off(set to -1) and invisible (removed from the screen)
    • Archer bombard: off and invisible
    • No Storms: should be visible but off by default
    • Ranged Bombard: on by default and I'd wager it would be beneficial to remove it from the option screen, locking it in.
    That's what I'm thinking. Plus I think that most of the added air unit mission options should probably be on by default at least as it strongly suits C2C and you can't turn them on or off if you are in an MP game (you're held strongly to the default in this situation!)

3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

This one profiled to have roughly the same issue with overloaded troops in the game as its earlier form. We'll be doing some things to work that out.

@SO: You've posted numerous non-repeatable CTDs I can't do much with since the minis can't load right now. Sorry I can't look into them. Minis right now are pretty much only worth anything if I haven't manipulated the code since they were presented. Apologies. We'll catch 'em later if we can.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The big problem is that I can't change what people have in their saved file for these options. We would need everyone to clear their Usersettings/RoMSettings.INI and maybe others and then go through the BUG options again to recreate them.

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Getting everyone to do that sounds like a logistical impossibility...

@Alberts2: I get an assert when loading the mod with the debugger attached (this doesn't come up on a debug dll alone) and the stop happens here:
    Code:
    After DependenciesART_DEF_UNIT_MOBILE_TREBUCHET2 -> 4966
    After DependenciesART_DEF_UNIT_BULAN -> 4967
    After DependenciesART_DEF_UNIT_KHITAN_INFANTRY -> 4968
    After DependenciesLoadCivXml (xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml)
    Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xmlLoadCivXml: Read Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xmlLoadCivXml: Read Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xmlFirst-chance exception at 0x76cfc41f in Civ4BeyondSword.exe: Microsoft C++ exception: xercesc_3_1::InvalidDatatypeValueException at memory location 0x0018b0a8..

What I find curious about this is that we're loading art def's for units and then we end up with After DependenciesLoadCivXml (xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml).

Building. Not unit. What do you figure the error is here?

EDIT:
    It then pops up with an Error:

XML parsing SAX error:
    Assets\xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml:
    error during schema scan at line 5385

Your advice on how to resolve?

6. Harrier

Harrier Deity

Does that really matter? :confused: Or would it cause a crash??

If they play with the old versions until they start a new game, all they need do is quote an SVN number, so no big deal.

When they start a new game - no problem. :)

I have in the past loaded old games and forgotten to change the BUG setting and they still worked. Allthough they did not do what I was expecting.

7. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

They wont be able to change from what ever they have even if they wanted to.

Not true. When you start a new game you retain your BUG settings and that is what is being discussed.

8. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

And thats why Joe keeps harping on everyone to do a "Play Now" before each new game . . .

9. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Which also has no effect on your BUG options only on your GAME options.

10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Ok, I think I've found a few little errors in the code and have sorted out what happens when those are corrected. (An update will be coming soon to the SVN with the small corrections.)

So, here's a basic rule: if you see a blockade graphic, it's not necessarily accurate. This part takes place in the python and the blockade has to be removed correctly to remove the graphic. Perhaps a save and reload can correct it if it's wrong.

To know if the graphic is accurate, hover over the plot. If there's a blockade against you on that plot it will say it in red in the help hover.

In this particular case, somehow the plots ended up getting a count of 2 blockades and I think it was due to an error in recalculation code. After my update, a recalc before you take out the unit will get the blockade to remove correctly but if you kill the unit then recalc, the blockade is removed in all those plots but the graphic remains because the recalc never sent the command to remove the graphic. It'll go away at some point when the plot graphic is reconfigured which I'm sure happens with some regularity. So I'm not terribly worried about that much correction. I just wanted to make sure the GAME rules operate correctly at least.

Fix pending.

There was another issue and I think it's related to another issue and so on and it may have been the reason for the original miscount. That flawed logic patch has been removed but it will help to reveal the original uncommon problem at some point perhaps, which may well be the same thing I was hunting for earlier, which is that sometimes a duplicate unit ID may end up on a plot - if that happens it could really tweak the recalc of blockades and throw things off there and in visibility, which could answer to some weirdness I've struggled with there too.

Capturing how the gamestate can take on this flaw is going to be very interesting. I've put a tracker in place so maybe at some point going about my business I'll stumble onto it.

11. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

It seems that it starts to read the CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml and there are empty tags in that xml. That causes a First-chance InvalidDatatypeValueException but that doesn't mean anything because those tags are allowed to be empty so it doesn't throw a real InvalidDatatypeValueException.

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I agree its sorta harmless BUT as a result, when these asserts come up, if you try to ignore them, the whole XML fails to load when the debugger is attached. It's possible to avoid by simply waiting to attach the debugger after the mod has loaded but this makes it impossible to get the output display to list off the loaded elements with their assigned IDs, which is often necessary to refer to.

So the problem is empty tags in the CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml?

13. strategyonly

I believe this is what u'll are talkin about: is it the empty or the KFM one .

Code:
    <BuildingArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_STONEWORKER</Type>
    			<LSystem>LSYSTEM_1x1</LSystem>
    			<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
    			<fScale>0</fScale>
    			<fInterfaceScale>0</fInterfaceScale>
    			<[B]NIF>Art/empty.nif</NIF>[/B]
    			<KFM/>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Buildings/stoneworker.dds</Button>
    		</BuildingArtInfo>

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Probably the KFM yes. Anything like those. Not sure about the NIF.

15. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I use
    Code:
    		<BuildingArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_ANIMAL_TAMER_COMPLEX</Type>
    			<bAnimated>0</bAnimated>
    			<fScale>0</fScale>
    			<fInterfaceScale>0</fInterfaceScale>
    			<NIF>Art/empty.nif</NIF>
    			<KFM/>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/sparth/beastmaster.dds</Button>
    		</BuildingArtInfo>

and
    Code:
    		<BuildingArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_GATOR_ASIAN_MYTH</Type>
    			<LSystem/>
    			<bAnimated/>
    			<fScale/>
    			<fInterfaceScale/>
    			<NIF>Art/empty.nif</NIF>
    			<KFM/>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/gator.dds</Button>
    		</BuildingArtInfo>

a lot.

Has this XML been changed so that I could use
    Code:
    		<BuildingArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_ANIMAL_TAMER_COMPLEX</Type>
    			<NIF>Art/empty.nif</NIF>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/sparth/beastmaster.dds</Button>
    		</BuildingArtInfo>

and
    Code:
    		<BuildingArtInfo>
    			<Type>ART_DEF_BUILDING_GATOR_ASIAN_MYTH</Type>
    			<NIF>Art/empty.nif</NIF>
    			<Button>Art/Interface/Buttons/Units/gator.dds</Button>
    		</BuildingArtInfo>

instead?

16. strategyonly

That would be better , dont we already do alot of that in other XML areas??

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Yes exactly. If we can do it then it may stop the asserts TB is getting.

18. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

19. alberts2

alberts2 Emperor

There must be something else causing this on your side. Because those first chance exceptions don't cause asserts.

20. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Are we getting lost in the difference between terminologies we utilize?

I would normally think to call any exception an assert although I understand there are different behaviors from a programmed fassert or assert line being thrown. If it stops the game to tell you something about the code, I have been calling that an assert.

However, after the first chance exception is shown, when you click to ignore it and continue, it pops up with this error:

XML parsing SAX error:
    Assets\xml\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Building.xml:
    error during schema scan at line 5385

Then it pops up with a statement to say that the art defines file has not been loaded and then assert after assert about how this or that cannot find the data it should be finding in the file that failed to load. (and an eventual crash as a result but I usually don't let it get that far before I force the shutdown of Civ.)

This does NOT happen when the debugger is not attached to the process. Even just running the debug dll alone does not create this issue.

I may have my VS set to being a little extra sensitive and that might have something to do with it.

@DH:
    I completed a recording to show what's going on with the scrolling issue on the tech tree: https://www.mediafire.com/?twab1fa704ahjg7 to download the video.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.