1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v37 download - After the 24th of December 2016

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

Please report all single player bugs and crashes from the v37 download here.

SVN users please use the other thread. This will make it easier for all when trying to find solutions.

The SVN is a beta version of the next release and will contain fixes to the current version but is in a state of flux. If you want to use the SVN version instead of the download see the SVN thread.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
    • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
    • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
    • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
    If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
    Code:
    ; Enable the logging system
    LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
    SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
    OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
    RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
    MessageLog = 1
    Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

Known issues

2. Jarolleon

Jarolleon Chieftain

When Realistic Culture Spread is disabled and a city's culture increases from Developing to Refined its radius increases by 2 rather than 1, ditto for Refined to Influential.This causes land that spawns barbarians and animals to get gobbled up extremely quickly, since AI capitals typically reach refined even on low difficulties by the ancient era. Worldbuilder tests revealed that there was a level of culture added in between "Developing" and "Refined" ("Prominent") and another between Refined and Influential ("Elegant"), which after some XML digging I found to be designed only for the Realistic Culture Spread option. Evidently without RCS these levels still count for border expansion despite being skipped over otherwise. I patched my V37 copy by simply deleting these extra levels in GameInfo>Civ4CultureLevelInfo.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  3. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

@Joe?

I only use RCS now myself.

@All: I think I've figured out what's wrong with growth of the AI. They ARE failing to spread right away as they get tribalism and I'm pretty sure, from observations in game and knowing what things I've adjusted recently, that I'm going to need to get them to take a chill pill on going after barbarian and neanderthal cities right away. They are acting like they are at war and not feeling at all comfortable trying to grow during this 'war'. Plus they are just plain distracted by building the armies to go after the enemy (which are surprisingly appropriate forces but just too much focus on war early on is all.)

I'm thinking that ultimately this should be something that would vary for different leader personalities but we know they'll never keep up with the barb city spawning any more than the human players would and it should NOT get in the way of growth needs. So I do need to take a look at that and I have it on my list. This is mostly an FYI and an apology that this wasn't discovered before release to be as problematic as it is because when I was running a test game it was already developed past some of the initial concern. I'll look into what can be done here anyhow.

And yeah, wow, the crime control imperative for the first few cities can really slow the role on growth but I think ultimately that's a very good aspect of things once the player can learn that they need to adapt to that or suffer severe consequences. Hydro once complained that the early city management was too routine... this certainly shakes THAT up!

4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

These have always been there since RCS was added to the Mod. I made NO changes that would make these levels act any differently than they already were in the Mod. This simply means that sometime in the past the "coding" that kept Normal Culture Spread and Realistic CS distinctly separate is no longer there. All I did was adjust the Levels of culture needed to Reach the next level. Perhaps RCS should've been kept as a separate Culture xml and schema file, IDK?

As far as I could tell the only thing that keeps RCS different from Reg Culture spread is the malus given to culture spreading to different terrain types, aka to hills mountains etc..

So basically all you did was gut the RCS option for your version of the Mod.

JosEPh

5. Pepo

Pepo Chieftain

I don't know if it is a feature or not, but I can't butcher animals in V37. As I can't butcher animals, cannibalism is broken as I can't butcher caotives

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

You butcher the animals when you subdue or kill them. When you get the subdued ones back to your cities they provide other options and benefits.

As for cannibalism, glad to hear that is broken! Part of the mod I detest. I would love to see it removed entirely. But I only get 1 vote. :p

JosEPh :)

7. Pepo

Pepo Chieftain

What I mean by butcher was that when they were on the city, you could get to convert them to food , but now I can only integrate them as part of my cultural heritage(apart from building buildings or myths)

8. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Yes that was changed by Dancing Hoskuld the Author of Subdued animals and cannabilism. No more butchering in the city. It takes place in the field. It is a works as designed feature (WaD).

JosEPh

9. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

The butcher action was taken out, though I STILL miss it. I don't think it's good to just say it happened in the field. It was a great use of animals and now I"m just hoarding them all for future cities. I have about 7 rows of ducks. What am I going to do with 7 rows of ducks? I know that there's a lot of research to be gained by them but it just seems to me that butchering was so much more natural to the concept. Even if they were young raised in captivity, they could still be made food by primitives imo.

And the fact that it breaks cannibalism is a very interesting point indeed. @Joe: I hope we would all detest the act of cannibalism but should we really be squeamish about it's inclusion in human history? It happened and it happened for numerous reasons and it has its consequences where it has happened. Should we not show both the reasons for and the reasons against the behavior and do so in as accurate a manner as possible rather than trying to shove the histories of human evils under the rug? I think there's more we can do to model it appropriately imo but surely it deserves its place in time, as it had one.

10. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

Balance issue:

In the prehistoric era (at eternity speed) once you reach food merchants it is quite easy (if you played right and focused on hammers) to abuse them to make cities grow. See picture.

11. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

That is the way the Author of the Food merchant designed it. And playing on Eternity just plain exacerbates the usage. Plus Eternity is not nearly as balanced a Game Speed as are the speeds from Snail to Normal. Way too many turns to exploit anything and exploitation of features that works better/more in line with how it/they was/were designed on the more moderate speeds.

Eternity game speed is the Easiest game Speed to play. Just takes longer to finish is it's only drawback/hardship in that regard.

Perhaps you should sometime play a fast game of 1000 turns on Normal to get a better perspective?

JosEPh

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I've tried to point this out myself. Looks like it's a little better than it was when I had looked into it the first time. Effectively what's happening is the unit makes it possible to convert production to food at 100% rate with unit build speed modifiers applied.

13. KaTiON_PT

KaTiON_PT Chieftain

Thanks for bringing this up, the fastest I played was on marathon back in v33. Because everything was getting done in 1 turn or less by the classical age I tried making the game longer to compensate that.

14. dmeyster

dmeyster Chieftain

I tried one game with unrestricted leaders and noticed that animals have my flag, turned this option off, started new game - animals still have my flag... Worst thing - they have my flag in previous saves (before i tried this option :undecide:). Is there a way to fix that?
    Or they can even have white flag (hovering mouse over it and zooming in and out i discovered it)
    Hmm... looks like i got also grafics problems... wanderer have spy's skin from original game

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  15. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Turn on animations in the graphic options panel in the main game options panels. Fixes up both issues.

16. dmeyster

dmeyster Chieftain

Thanks, also not sure maybe thats long known issue - academy can be built in city with size less then 13(2 in my game O.o)

Attached Files:

17. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Whoever added the population limit prereq didn't realize that buildings built by GPs like that, using the ForceBuilding tag, ignore all prereqs. If it were changed to the Buildings tag then it would follow the prerequisites established.

18. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Chieftain

The butcher in city mechanism was a temporary fix which I never liked and finally got rid of. Rwn has suggested some changes to the amounts and type of return from hunting and I will look at it at some stage.

Yes there is a problem with the amount of culture/science you get from incorporating a subdued animal into your cultural heritage. I missed it because some buildings that are free were not appearing in all my cities and so the values are too high. At least now I don't have to go through all 600 animals to fix it only the 5 or 6 combat groups. I will add it to my list.

Unfortunately sometimes it is a scaling thing to do with map size and game speed where the value is OK for the middle settings but way out with the largest.

Cannibalism is a known bug which I had hoped to get to before v37 was released. It did not happen. It is on my list.

Exactly, however in this case I feel that the population limit is what should go.

19. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

I figured I'd leave that choice to you as I'm happy with either solution.

I tried to track that scaling system down but it led back to some globals I don't know where to find but more importantly they affect a lot more than just this system as they are core generic ratio establishments that can be called on to scale anything in general.

20. Taxman66

Taxman66 Chieftain

I'm playing without (i.e. off) the option where Neanderthals can found their own cities. However, I do occasionally see that the Neanderthals have subdued animals. Seems extraneous since all that can happen with them is to be captured by a player or AI.