1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v37 download - After the 24th of December 2016

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

When you load the mod, does the main menu come up with the C2C screen or the original Beyond the Sword screen?

2. AstralVoid

AstralVoid Chieftain

It does show the C2C caveman/astronaut screen, though I'm somewhat disappointed it doesn't have the "What if Civilization Had Lyrics" song anymore.

3. AstralVoid

AstralVoid Chieftain

This is generally what I see when I try to launch a new game. The UI and buttons are fine, everything seems to be set up to work properly as far as the map creation and leader setup (minus the leaders not having any base traits by default).

I even tried turning off the Steam overlay to see if that was affecting it, but it was not.

Is there some sort of logging I can turn on that might indicate what's up with the missing units?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  4. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

I will present 3 possible scenarios. Use the one that fits your situation.

Are all these new games Custom games? If they are and you have updated from v 34 or 35 as you posted, start a Play Now game let it load and play 1 turn. Save and then exit to desktop. Then start a new custom game. On 1st turn go Into BUG and reset all your favorite BUG settings. The save and save again. This resets the User Settings folder that can contain old outdated data from those previous versions.

If these are Play Now games, then you need to find the cache file located in the C:\Users\*your username*\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache . Win 7 is similar as this is my win 10 path. Delete all contents of the cache folder. Then start a new custom game. On 1st turn go Into BUG and reset all your favorite BUG settings. The save and save again. This resets the User Settings folder that can contain old outdated data from those previous versions.

One last scenario, did you "overwrite/replace" the old version of Caveman2Cosmos (v34-35 which ever one it was) with the v37 download? That too can cause problems like these you are seeing. Always remove older versions of C2C out of the Civ IV game path/directory for BtS.

From your screen shot I would say that the old cache files is your most likely problem of the 3 possibilities I've posted. With the 2nd most likely that you are using your Old User Settings folder from the last version you played before updating to v37. Resetting the User Settings folder is crucial for players that do not use the SVN and are now using the latest v37 Release version. We had major changes that an old User settings folder, that we all used to save and use on the next version, outdated and broken.

JosEPh

5. AstralVoid

AstralVoid Chieftain

I did all that (cache clear, reset all settings in the C2C BUG menu, and originally had done a clear install of C2C), and the issue persisted. But I feel really stupid now.

upload_2017-1-8_21-0-3.png

That button, highlighted in red, is the "bare map" mode toggle, which hides all units and doesn't really give an indication of whether it is turned on or not. Why it would stay toggled on between games (and complete reinstallation), how I hit it originally, and how I never noticed it was there, are all things I'm not sure about.

On the plus side, there were some files from 2015 in the cache, so cleaning those out will likely help in the long run. Since the BUG menu settings were reset - where does one find the multiple production option, if it's still available?

Thanks for the assistance in getting this resolved!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  6. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Fascinating. That's a new one on me. Thanks Joseph for helping with issues like these! I really struggle to help with this kind of stuff. At some point, it would be nice if we compiled some of this advice into the Player's Guide for troubleshooting things like this. If there are any footnotes you know to add to that first troubleshooting post, please mention them in a response in that thread when you get a moment.

7. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Didn't we make Multiple Production the Default settting in Game set up T-brd? I thought we did. If not, AstralVoid, it is a game set up option under Custom Game.

I was having some quirkyness in my newest Deity game on Normal Game speed and when I checked my own cache folder I still had some August 2 2016 files in it my self. They got flushed and then I reset all my BUG settings and saved twice. The only thing I had to do after that was when I went into a city screen I had to reset my preferences for the Unit/Buildings/Wonders build lists. Cause it was showing them all even the ones I could not build. No big deal as I expected that with the cache clearing.

JosEPh

8. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

So far as I know, yes.

9. jshetley

jshetley Chieftain

Multiple production is hidden and on by default now. Just checked it.

10. SparraNova

SparraNova Chieftain

I'm getting an issue with BUG Options failing to INI write files in the User Settings directory. The only effect I can see is that it clogs up the message bar with the notifications that it couldn't create the files (the notifications don't ever go away).

How do I fix this?

11. tmv

tmv Chieftain

Play as administrator.

12. AstralVoid

AstralVoid Chieftain

As noted above, try launching the game as an administrator, alternatively, ensure that the files and folders aren't marked as "Read Only." Without knowing more about the operating system you're using, I can't think of much more.

13. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

It is defined as only needing the religion not state religion in the XML. If I change it to require the state religion you wont be able to spread Yoruba to cities before hand so will suffer a malus when you first convert. Is that what we want? The text in the pedia is from AAranda when he designed the religion.

14. BunnyWunny

BunnyWunny Chieftain

Oy. V37.7

6694 unpacking errors. The log file is huge. I've downloaded it three times now from different mirrors, all the same.

I don't know how to upload the log file, it won't find it. Keeps asking for some other format other than a simple txt file

It appears that they come out as zero bytes. File name is there, but nothing in it

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  15. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Where are you trying to Download Caveman2Cosmos v37.7 from? It does not exist. The Official Release is just Caveman2Cosmos v37.

Now if you are using the SVN (How to use it and set it up is found in 1st post of the SVN Changelog Thread, main forum for Caveman2Cosmos) then we are currently at SVN 9444.

JosEPh

16. BunnyWunny

BunnyWunny Chieftain

Sorry, I read Version 37 as 37.7 but didn't notice the .7z

Anyhow...it's the correct file, but I tried it again with a fresh copy of 7zip and it came out clean now. My regular unpacker must be too old or got fragmented or something. It just didn't like the new version although it worked fine for all the older ones. Go figure. Sorry to have bothered you, but thanks

17. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

No Problem! Glad you figured it out. Happy C2C'ing. :)

JosEPh

18. west india man

west india man Immortal

Not sure if this really counts as a bug, but you got your language files mixed up on the Meritocracy civic:

Spoiler :

19. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

Glad someone noticed:lol:. No English version was provide so the French one is used instead. If someone translates it I add it in.

20. west india man

west india man Immortal

I'm not a fluent speaker, but from what I can tell, the French text says ''Meritocracy is when members of the government are chosen based solely on their abilities to exercise civil responsibilities'', and Google Translate agrees with me