1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Single Player bugs and crashes v37 download - After the 24th of December 2016

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by Dancing Hoskuld, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

When I was fixing the white space problem for Toffer I found something that may have been causing CTDs for Windows XP users in one of the file names for the New_Cultures mod.

Has anyone who is using XP checked if they can now run with the New_Cultures? Is the CTD gone? If so I can look at other file names in mods to ensure that they don't have the same issue.

2. Harrier

Harrier Chieftain

Just checked and it loads for me. Well done. :goodjob:

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

The name of one of the Heroes had an initial with a "." after it. When this was made into a file name the "." was not removed. In Win XP this is a problem because you can only have one "." in the file name, just before the file extension.

4. mkr1977

mkr1977 Chieftain

Has the problem with elections not triggering (league of nations, apostolic palace, UN) been resolved?

5. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Given that election triggering is a bit random, it's hard to say. Haven't had any recent reports on this.

6. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Are you playing v37 Official release? This is the bug thread for That release.

If you are using the SVN, then the report needs to be in the SVN Bug thread.

v37 has known issues that have been resolved by using the SVN. Suggest you read the 1st Post in the SVN Changelog Thread to see if you want to use the SVN to keep your version updated.

7. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

Civ IV is my favorite game! I have been playing Caveman to Cosmos for several years and never had any problems until now. First, I was playing and the game just crashed. When I tried to reload the most recent couple of games, I got a loading error of some sort. To recreate the error, I would guess you only have to try to load the game.

A second problem that I have is that when I start a new game, there is no "menu bar" or any icons, etc., at the bottom of the game screen. If I save the new game and then restart it, the menu bar appears.

HOWEVER (a third problem just experienced) -- I just tried to quit a game and go back to the main window of the game and the game crashed!

I have attached the most recent saved game and the minidump file. I use the name of "Caveman2Cosmos 37" as the folder name for this mod.

Game file: https://app.box.com/s/idy4emhofg43ev12vjdj28mtuatgl0tw
    Minidump: https://app.box.com/s/dgjvkofd7ww2ngvoh5orlgtni64s0mg2

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  8. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

There's your problem right there. The game is unstable if not having the folder name as "Caveman2Cosmos", changing it will break all saves but having it wrong will lead to problems of many sorts down the road.

9. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

@Toffer90

Thanks for your quick reply! I will change the name of the mod file back as you recommended and see if it fixes my problems.

UPDATE: Right now, things seem to be working fine. My saved game says it needs to load "Caveman2Cosmos 37." I guess I won't be able to resume that saved game -- am I correct?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Correct, and also why it is very difficult to debug a game that comes from a renamed mod folder. It's even worse than just having to change the mod folder name... you have to recompile the dll for just that debugging effort and then recompile it again once you change the mod name back... its a nightmare to work with.

11. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

@Thunderbrd
    Thanks for the information. I changed my mod folder name to "Caveman2Cosmos" like you and @Toffer90 suggested and started a new game. However, I have had two game crashes in about 20 minutes or so. I am not very far into the game -- 32400 BC. I haven't noticed any certain action that causes the crashing.

I am attaching the requested files in hopes that you can resolve the problem with this fantastic mod.

Game file: https://app.box.com/s/iq749wsa887iw0mjmuzwjjailfza9e45
    Minidump: https://app.box.com/s/hsgdthqq9d9bxz16d29ew603wut2di0d

12. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Thanks for the uploads. It's probably going require getting a mini from a crash that takes place after my next DLL commit.

13. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

Thanks @Thunderbrd

I'm not sure what you mean by your "next DLL commit," but I will wait patiently. :)

14. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Are you working on the SVN version? When I next update the DLL with my next commit to the SVN, make sure to update and then minis from there should help me to fix non-repeatable crashes, or at least get an idea as to what may be wrong. If you're not on the SVN, anything I do to fix the code won't help you anyhow. That's the way we update to the public between releases generally.

15. fox456

fox456 Chieftain

@Thunderbrd

Oh wow... I thought this thread was only for non-SVN version bugs and crashes. I thought the SVN version was more unstable than the official version 37 release. Would you advise me to download and use the SVN from now on? (I've never used that before).

16. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Strongly. The 'instability' factor that can take place in the SVN version is something that comes up if you are constantly updating and keeping up with every push we make to develop. We're angled towards a release soon in our efforts so its a good time to be getting on board with us there and feedback can help to ensure that we are putting out the best 'product' release v38 we can. Regardless, the SVN is where we are able to update folks on debug efforts. v37 was a little messy on a few factors and at this point, the SVN is a huge improvement.

17. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

v38.1 is now patched and ready for downloading . .

Alexej likes this.