Single Player bugs and crashes v40 download - After Oct 2019

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
Please report all single player bugs and crashes from the v40 download here.

SVN users please use the other thread. This will make it easier for all when trying to find solutions.

However, you will likely need to update to the latest SVN version (at least up until we break compatibility) to get a chance to verify that the bug is still in place, and to be able to easily get an update that fixes the bug afterward, so you may want to first get the latest SVN version if you can before reporting a stock v38 bug.

To assist us in fixing the problem please include the version of C2C you are playing.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • a screenshot if one applies to show the issue
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1
Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

User Settings Folder

In some cases, it can be helpful to upload your user settings folder when you make a bug report. Particularly if we cannot replicate the problem on a repeatable issue.

Known issues
If you are playing on Windows 7 and get a crash, play in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode and you might get past the crash.

On V40 mod won't load if you have mod folder in my documents, or if your mod isn't named Caveman2Cosmos.

Last edited:
I don't actually know, if it's a bug. If it is, it doesn't really refers to c2c, I guess. Maybe, a vanilla issue.

My ex-cave people, settled on near-Arctic continent, finally developed and fell into Christianity (1000 AD, just in time). Built Apostolic palace. It wasn't a big deal - just one nation on isolated by several oceans continent, with no ability to contact anyone else (nobody knows astronomy, sky is solid and stars are nailed to it). Other nations are slowpokes, stuck in classic/ancient/prehistoric eras. And no Heyerdahl was born to teach how to cross oceans, using rafts only.

Apostolic castle gave me contacts with other civs. I don't know, how they became christianic without any contacts with me and my continent (winds of faith?), but for now I have diplomatic relations with foreign leaders without any chance to actually reach them. Telepathy?

sounds like serious bug, upload save so this can be replicated

A leader's favourite religion always spreads to them as soon as it is founded. There is a 'travelling sage' event or some such.

Yeah ok doesn't explain diplo contact even with the AP.

A leader's favourite religion always spreads to them as soon as it is founded. There is a 'travelling sage' event or some such.
Good place to add a Python check that there is actually contact between the Civs, it shouldn't just be magic.

I don't actually know, if it's a bug. If it is, it doesn't really refers to c2c, I guess. Maybe, a vanilla issue.

My ex-cave people, settled on near-Arctic continent, finally developed and fell into Christianity (1000 AD, just in time). Built Apostolic palace. It wasn't a big deal - just one nation on isolated by several oceans continent, with no ability to contact anyone else (nobody knows astronomy, sky is solid and stars are nailed to it). Other nations are slowpokes, stuck in classic/ancient/prehistoric eras. And no Heyerdahl was born to teach how to cross oceans, using rafts only.

Apostolic castle gave me contacts with other civs. I don't know, how they became christianic without any contacts with me and my continent (winds of faith?), but for now I have diplomatic relations with foreign leaders without any chance to actually reach them. Telepathy?
Apostolic Palace has worked this way since it was included in Rise Of Mankind, C2C's predecessor. Just so you know it's always been like this. Another World Wonder, the Eye of The Needle, has also done this since it's inclusion (allows instant contact with All Empires on the map).

Might even be another one in there someplace as well.

@Team,
Only now it's a bug heh?! :lol::mischief::rolleyes:

Rather, the Apostolic Palace is working as intended, it's the wandering sage event that's borked.
Or maybe it's all really supposed to work that way. If a Civ's leader considers a religion his favorite, as soon as it is founded anywhere he gets it in his capital.

Good place to add a Python check that there is actually contact between the Civs, it shouldn't just be magic.
It is working as intended. The god(s) of the religion make sure the sage gets everywhere they need to. There are plenty of times people have turned up on the other side of the world without their governments being involved.

Or maybe it's all really supposed to work that way. If a Civ's leader considers a religion his favorite, as soon as it is founded anywhere he gets it in his capital.
The actual bug is in the idea of a leader having a favorite religion when they should have one favorite per era or so.

Apostolic Palace has worked this way since it was included in Rise Of Mankind, C2C's predecessor. Just so you know it's always been like this. Another World Wonder, the Eye of The Needle, has also done this since it's inclusion (allows instant contact with All Empires on the map).

Might even be another one in there someplace as well.

@Team,
Only now it's a bug heh?! :lol::mischief::rolleyes:
Apostolic Palace is a BtS thing not Rom:lol:

I can't upload save right now. Later, as access to pc will be regained.
All I can say - there was no "wandering sages" event for christianity. Much earlier sages spread mesopotamism, but it was stone age.

I can't upload save right now. Later, as access to pc will be regained.
All I can say - there was no "wandering sages" event for christianity. Much earlier sages spread mesopotamism, but it was stone age.
The leaders whose favourite religion it was got the event, the game just didn't tell you.

My leader is Lenin. If game's engine doesn't allow him to be atheist, then, probably, he actually is christian.

There are plenty of times people have turned up on the other side of the world without their governments being involved.
That might be the case, but it isn't the case that it always, or even usually, happens that a leader who will eventually become a convert to a religion does so immediately when the religion is founded, regardless of the level of contact (or size of ocean) between said leader and the religion itself.
That is something that *rarely* happens, not *always* happens. Thus I would argue the event should at least be a fractional chance per turn event, or better yet, use a probability per turn calculated from factors like distance, level of contact, ocean etc.

That might be the case, but it isn't the case that it always, or even usually, happens that a leader who will eventually become a convert to a religion does so immediately when the religion is founded, regardless of the level of contact (or size of ocean) between said leader and the religion itself.
That is something that *rarely* happens, not *always* happens. Thus I would argue the event should at least be a fractional chance per turn event, or better yet, use a probability per turn calculated from factors like distance, level of contact, ocean etc.
The point is this "event" is a quick fix for the real bug. Not having it happen seriously hampers the AI because they wont change to any religion they get only their favorite. Fix the real bug and give them a favorite religion by Era or something. It will still hamper them but not as much.

If I remember correctly having this in means the player can almost play on one difficulty lower and the AI does as well. Remove this and you will need to up the difficulty level for the player again.

Yeah, the AI should consider adopting any religion, just prefer the favourite one if it's present in at least 2/3'ds the amount of its cities as the current state religion is present in.

Then the favourite religion spread thing should simply be a check when two civs meet, and a check on what contacts a civ already have when it founds a religion.

Here they are. Apostolic castle is about to be build on the next turn in the capital in the first sve. And the other, a few years later, with diplomatic reaction. Different timelines - I have no saves with AC jusy built, so I had to adjust one. Hope it will help.

Attachments

• Volgadar September 22, AD-0976_apost.CivBeyondSwordSave
    7.8 MB · Views: 193
  • Volgadar February 17, AD-1010.CivBeyondSwordSave
    10.3 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Top Bottom