Single Player bugs and crashes v40 plus (SVN) - After Oct 2019

Thunderbrd

C2C War Dog
Please report all single player bugs and crashes for the SVN version of C2C here.

If you are using the download version of Caveman2Cosmos v39 please use the other thread. However, you will likely need to update to the latest SVN version (at least up until we break compatibility) to get a chance to verify that the bug is still in place, and to be able to easily get an update that fixes the bug afterward, so you may want to first get the latest SVN version if you can before reporting a stock v38 bug.

To assist us in fixing the problem please include the version of C2C you are playing.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1

; Enable synchronization logging
SynchLog = 1

; Overwrite old network and message logs
OverwriteLogs = 1

; Enable rand event logging
RandLog = 0

; Enable message logging
MessageLog = 1
Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

User Settings Folder

In some cases, it can be helpful to upload your user settings folder when you make a bug report. Particularly if we cannot replicate the problem on a repeatable issue.

Known issues
If you are playing on Windows 7 and get a crash, play in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode and you might get past the crash.

On V40 mod won't load if you have mod folder in my documents, or if your mod isn't named Caveman2Cosmos.

Last edited:
On V40 mod won't load if you have mod folder in my documents, or if your mod isn't named Caveman2Cosmos.

Also use Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode, not Windows XP one.
Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode doesn't degrade performance.

Also players should upload their user settings folder in case of crash or bugs too.

SVN 11056.

Pressing EoT. the game locks up and I have to do a system restart as I can not load task manager. The game loops through the autosave process continually. The display cycles between the arrow pointer then the running man, pointer, running man etc.

Loading one of the autosaves displays the "You have been defeated screen".

Save and Usersettings included .

Attachments

• Basil BC-124749.rar
    545.8 KB · Views: 303
There may be conflict between game options:
Final Five removes civilization with lowest score every 50 turns (on Normal)
Is checking frequency scaling correctly? Happened on 150th turn on Epic.

It is NOT recommended to play with Final Five AND BarbarianCiv or Revolution game options.
High to Low also may change your civ to one with lowest score just to be removed by Final Five game option.
Your civ also could have lowest score naturally, and it got removed by Final Five game option.

Also play on windowed mode, so you don't have to restart computer if game hangs.

EDIT:
It appears you got nuked by Final Five game option naturally - you don't have three other options, that could mess up stuff.
That is it always removes civ (until 5 of them remains) every 50 turns (hopefully if scaling is working)

This one error is spammed in logs:
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 307, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "AIAutoPlay", line 162, in onBeginPlayerTurn
  File "AIAutoPlay", line 187, in checkPlayer
AttributeError: 'CyPlayer' object has no attribute 'getCivilizationName'

So don't play with Final Five game option, as now its very buggy.
Also on harder handicaps player always is last in score board.
You can start new game - you didn't go very far in game.

Also game automatically enters AI autoplay after you got nuked by that option - you had lowest score.

This option should be activated only after all civs reach Ancient era (or work only on civs, that advanced from Prehistoric era).
Also it should be once per 50 if not 100 turns on Blitz.

Last edited:
Well it was written on Final Five game option tooltip
Maybe there is chance to wipe newly formed civ?
Oh you just mean in combination with final five it's not recommended?

SVN 11056.

Pressing EoT. the game locks up and I have to do a system restart as I can not load task manager. The game loops through the autosave process continually. The display cycles between the arrow pointer then the running man, pointer, running man etc.

Loading one of the autosaves displays the "You have been defeated screen".

Save and Usersettings included .
On Win7 and in fullscreen I can almost always access Task Manager using ctrl-alt-del.

For the rest, what raxo said. Smart of him to point out that the running man is not constant because you are in autoplay, not an actual hang.

He might be exaggerating how buggy Final Five is though. If only one error is being logged, then maybe only one error needs fixing.

Also play on windowed mode, so you don't have to restart computer if game hangs.

EDIT:
It appears you got nuked by Final Five game option naturally - you don't have three other options, that could mess up stuff.

I never intentionally select Final Five. This was a slip of the finger when starting the game, I did not even know it was on. Therefore did not consider checking for that option. Changing it in WB (before selecting EOT) and the game continues. It turns out I was number 6. Thanks Raxo. :)

Rather than just hang - the game should have said "You are defeated etc.", but you did say this option was buggy. Thanks again.

Usually I can load TM or Alt Tab into Task Manager when loaded. It was just in this instance that I could not.

Last edited:
Usually I can load TM or Alt Tab into Task Manager when loaded. It was just in this instance that I could not.

I think it was because it entered AI autoplay automatically - autosave was on 206th turn, when I shut game, but you got removed on 150th turn.

@Toffer90 could look at this save.
Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "BugEventManager", line 307, in _handleDefaultEvent
  File "AIAutoPlay", line 162, in onBeginPlayerTurn
  File "AIAutoPlay", line 187, in checkPlayer
AttributeError: 'CyPlayer' object has no attribute 'getCivilizationName'
@Thunderbrd can you make game more graceful about getting removed?
For example it shouldn't trigger AI autoplay automatically.

It could display messages - like if you got conquered traditionally, or got snipped by Final Five game option.

@Thunderbrd can you make game more graceful about getting removed?
For example it shouldn't trigger AI autoplay automatically.

It could display messages - like if you got conquered traditionally, or got snipped by Final Five game option.
I'm not the author of the Final Five option. I could probably look into it eventually but currently I don't even know what the option is actually supposed to do and where the coding for it is.

I'm not the author of the Final Five option. I could probably look into it eventually but currently I don't even know what the option is actually supposed to do and where the coding for it is.
It removes civilization with lowest score every 50 turns on Normal until five of them remain.
Game breaks, when this option removes players civilization.

Last edited:
It removes civilization with lowest score every 50 turns on Normal until five of them remain.
Game breaks, when this option removes players civilization.
Sounds like it is working as intended... I would imagine it's supposed to end the game if you are one of the eliminated civs.

Sounds like it is working as intended... I would imagine it's supposed to end the game if you are one of the eliminated civs.

Except you do not get the "You have been defeated" message and end game play through.

The game locks up and does repeated autosaves (in AI Autoplay according to Raxo). I had selected the option by mistake and had to do a system restart to get past the problem.

It is only if you load one of the many auto saves you get the end game playthrough.

Except you do not get the "You have been defeated" message and end game play through.

The game locks up and does repeated autosaves (in AI Autoplay according to Raxo). I had selected the option by mistake and had to do a system restart to get past the problem.

It is only if you load one of the many auto saves you get the end game playthrough.
That's a more general bug in how the game ends I think. Happens the same if you are fully defeated by your last city being captured too. Not saying there's no bug there but in this case it's the same game over bug we have already.

That's a more general bug in how the game ends I think. Happens the same if you are fully defeated by your last city being captured too. Not saying there's no bug there but in this case it's the same game over bug we have already.

So are you saying this always happens if you lose your last city only? (game does not end properly and locks up.)

If defeated by other means (diplomatic, space etc.) does it end as it should, you get the "You have been defeated" end game sequence.

Last edited:
So are you saying this always happens if you lose your last city only? (game does not end properly and locks up.)
Yes. Whenever I've been defeated in this way, the game locks up and I have to save it and reload it to see the game tell me that the game has ended and it goes into the end game sequence then - sometimes. Sometimes it seems to skip that entirely.

Joseph reported the bug too a while back and I had to let him know it was a very low priority fix considering that the game is, well... over at that point anyhow.

I'm willing to bet @billw2015 may find it an interesting debug challenge.

If defeated by other means (diplomatic, space etc.) it end as it should, you get the "You have been defeated" end game sequence.
Interesting. I haven't experienced such a loss before so I would not be able to say either way.

I just started playing the latest SVN (11056) after a... long break. Kept a list of things I came across as I played up until the Medieval era, some of which may be known bugs, some not. Good news, I encountered very few CTDs and similar gamestopping bugs, bad news I didn't have my logging options set correctly, so there's little I can help in that regard (but have fixed for next playthrough!)

Gamestopping bugs:
Spoiler :

Just the one, which led to a soft lock and not a crash. Playing with size matters, hide-and-seek, and without warning, I had an issue with an outrigger pair moving onto a crab animal unit. The first time, the two were selected together, and I was using the number pad to direct their movement (redraw bug 1 png). One moved onto the unit, saw it, and the other stayed where it was, but they somehow were both 'selected' and a python exception appeared, but pressing 'ok' did nothing, nor did any other shortcuts that I tried; I had to alt-f4 to leave and re enter. Unfortunately, not only was my last autosave a number of turns ago, it happened again when directing the pair with the mouse, as in the second linked image, and again I had to alt-f4. This time though, it popped up on mouseover of the stacked pair, not the moving itself.

I've since decreased the autosave turn interval, and turned on the logging settings, so if it happens again I'll have a save to provide.

I did happen to notice there was a problem with unit selection in a different thread, and there's a chance it's related, but I haven't looked at the UI code at all so I've no clue.

Text/minor errors:
Spoiler :

1. Rhino and Zebra heritages don't allow other cities to build the respective animal mounted units; the units are missing an 'or' condition for their prereqs unlike the bear, deer, etc
  2. Wooden palisades (and possibly their precursors, the a*... thorn hedges, don't have the game open rn) are missing the 'cannot build another within two tiles' limit of forts, which seems odd. If I want to make a canal across a two-tile wide strip of land, or have 2+ adjacent fortified tiles, I have to do it before mathematics and let the palisades upgrade into forts, otherwise it becomes impossible without plonking a city.
  3. "Net (Carb)" should probably be "Net (Crab)", though the typo is funny
  4. Rock Art loses all benefits with the literature tech, though does not obsolete, so is a waste of hammers that the AI possibly falls for, and also clutters up the build selection
  5. Great Zimbabwe doesn't appear to work as the 'pedia advertises (city can grow while using food for production), at least with the conscription civic. Am I misinterpreting it, or should it be temporarily hidden?
  6. Tech quote for concrete should be "... you lose millions...", not "... you loose millions...".
  7. The logistics II promotion for spies, which allows them to move on enemy roads, seems useless due to all agents starting with commando anyway.
  8. There should probably be a line in the 'pedia or tech screen saying all players get a gatherer on discovering gathering in addition to the first player to discover it getting one to save a bit of confusion. Not a big change, but given it's something 95% of C2C players will come across, while anything past prehistoric becomes less and less likely...
  9. With the 'limited religions' option on, the AI still research religious tech even if they already own a holy city
  10. Subdued animals, when captured by hidden nationality units, reveal their nationality instead of having the hidden nationality promo. EX: A stalker 'kills' my unprotected stack of a worker and subdued lizard. Suddenly, on that square, there's a worker with an unknown nationality (good) and a subdued lizard owned by civilization X (bad).
  11. Probably the biggest QoL complaint, auto-hunt and border patrol don't really seem to work when dealing with certain units. Outriggers, for instance, despite being promoted to the gills to deal with birds and sea units will never fight them. Hunter units on land seem to work just fine, and the BUG options for minimum combat odds seem to be used properly, but sea units just refuse to fight animals when patrolling or hunting, which makes for very tedious micro.

Misc, comments, confusions, possible not-a-bug:
Spoiler :

1. The "Zoroastrianism has spread in X" sfx is far too loud; I have to rip my headphones off whenever it spreads. Similar with the Library of Nnineveh wonder movie
  2. When queuing buildings for construction, a subset of the religious buildings cause the building selection popup to refresh when selected, which is a little vexing. Selecting an invocation hut, for instance, will refresh the list while a nature altar will not; this is annoying for rapidly selecting multiple buildings as the sudden refresh can often lead to a misclick, or lack of expected refresh, an awkward pause.
  3. Might there be a way to limit the 'Stars have favored' random buff to combatants? Getting +3 first strikes on a worker is... sad.
  4. More of a feature request, this one; would it be possible to have a 'random X cultural group' civ selection for custom start? I know RIFE has 'random good/neutral/evil' leader, so the code is possible. Failing that, I haven't found any page in the 'pedia breaking down the civs by cultural group; while Germany is obviously European and many are similarly so, some, especially the Middle-Eastern cultural group, are less intuitive, and makes ensuring a game starts with all the different cultures (or just the ones you want, if you're not playing with barbarian civs) a fair bit more annoying.
  5. Could log roller prereq be modified to 'forest or ancient forest' in city vicinity instead of just 'forest'? Had my production city in a jungle with access to an ancient forest and no regular forests, so that felt bad
  6. Peat bogs in the 'pedia claim that they're destroyed when a city reaches pop 6 on the tile, but also that you can't found a city on the same square (though, come to think of it, maybe there's a tech later that specifically allows founding a city on peat bogs?)
  7. I had a stack with a canine unit and town watchman promoted with armed guard; a stalker still targeted and killed the canine first. If I'm understanding the intention of the armed guard promo line, shouldn't the town watchman have defended? How am I supposed to protect my doggos?
  8. Animals:
    1. Myth (horse) requires palace, while practically all other myths can be built in any city?
    2. Having a source of donkey/horse, but being unable to build the breeder because your damn hunters never managed to actually subdue one without killing it and so you're missing the myth effect (even though you physically have the donkey/horse resource literally right there) feels really, quite bad.
    3. Animal spawn rate without 'Animals stay out!' seems annoyingly high, even without 'dangerous animals'. A full half of my turns are usually dedicated to clicking 'spread culture', which is less fun, but with 'animals stay out', I very quickly lose critical animals to capture. Neither option feels great...

Overall, I'm really impressed with how well the game works, and clearly just how much effort has gone into it over the years! Thank you all for this amazing project :)

Attachments

• Redraw bug 1.png
    Redraw bug 1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 438
  • Redraw bug 2.png
    Redraw bug 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I had a stack with a canine unit and town watchman promoted with armed guard; a stalker still targeted and killed the canine first. If I'm understanding the intention of the armed guard promo line, shouldn't the town watchman have defended? How am I supposed to protect my doggos?
There's probably a lot more I can comment on but time is limited and I saw this stand out. The armed guard promo will put the unit in the list of types that will be targeted first but among all the units of targeted types, the selection of which is attacked then goes according to fairly normal rules. Therefore, if the dog is still the stronger to fight the attacker, then the dog will come up first from among those units that CAN come up first. In this case, it was likely that the canine was evaluated to be the stronger defender than the town watchman, particularly with some consideration for the fact that it could pursue the stalker if the stalker was trying to flee.

Top Bottom