Single Player bugs and crashes v43 plus (SVN) - After January 2023

raxo2222

Time Traveller
Please report all single player bugs and crashes for the SVN version of C2C here.

If you are using the download version of Caveman2Cosmos v43 please use the other thread. However, you will likely need to update to the latest SVN version (at least up until we break compatibility) to get a chance to verify that the bug is still in place, and to be able to easily get an update that fixes the bug afterward, so you may want to first get the latest SVN version if you can before reporting a stock v43 bug.

To assist us in fixing the problem please include the version of C2C you are playing.

If the bug involved a repeatable "Crash to Desktop" (CTD) or similar please include
  • a save and description of how to reproduce the crash
  • if your mods folder is not Caveman2Cosmos please state what it is when posting a save to help the modders and save them time when trying to identify the problem.
  • the MiniDump.dmp file. It is found in your Beyond the Sword folder that contains the Mods file containing Caveman2Cosmos. IE the folder that contains the BeyondTheSword.exe file.
If the bug includes error messages then the Python.Err file in the logs folder would be useful also. It can be found in the same location as the the Saves folder containing your save games.

A screen shot.

Basically as much information as you can that will help us find the problem[/INDENT]

If you saw the AI doing something stupid/unoptimal/otherwise bad make sure your BBAI logging is set to 3 in the BUG options. Then, post a savegame exhibiting the behavior as well as the BBAI log, found in the Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/Logs folder.

How to turn on logging.

In the Civ 4 INI file, located in Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword, there are some logging options. Make sure they look like this.
Code:
LoggingEnabled = 1
SynchLog = 1
OverwriteLogs = 1
RandLog = 1
MessageLog = 1
synchlog = 1
hidepythonexceptions = 0
Note: You only need to have RandLogs on if you are playing Multiplayer, otherwise just leave that off (thx Cyrusfan)

How to turn on the AI logging.

The AI logging is turned on in the BUG options screens. It is the BBAI log mentioned on the Logs page. It writes to the same folder as the other logs creating a BBAI.log file there.

User Settings Folder

In some cases, it can be helpful to upload your user settings folder when you make a bug report. Particularly if we cannot replicate the problem on a repeatable issue.
Its in Caveman2Cosmos folder

Known issues
If you are playing on Windows 7 and get a crash, play in Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode and you might get past the crash.

On V43 mod won't load if you have mod folder in documents/my games, or if your mod isn't named Caveman2Cosmos.

CivilizationIV.ini tends to self-destruct itself once a while.
Remember to back up it, file can be found at C:\Users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword

Last edited:
Me and @Pit2015 are getting very different rates of Battlefield Promotions.
He hasn't gotten one in over 260 turns, while I started getting them almost every turn on HIS SAVE.
Care to check what causes this difference, please?
Probably something in BUG, but I'm not sure.
I'm using the latest SVN, and I *didn't* edit anything in there.

Attachments

• UserSettings.rar
    27.4 KB · Views: 16
Me and @Pit2015 are getting very different rates of Battlefield Promotions.
He hasn't gotten one in over 260 turns, while I started getting them almost every turn on HIS SAVE.
Care to check what causes this difference, please?
Probably something in BUG, but I'm not sure.
I'm using the latest SVN, and I *didn't* edit anything in there.
Y'all may have a different selections on the bug option for XP.

Y'all may have a different selections on the bug option for XP.
Explain/elaborate, please.
I thought "Battlefield Promotions" is the only BUG option that turns this function ON/OFF - and @Pit2015 kept insulting me instead of confirming that he has that function ON to begin with.
In fact, his SAVE shows exactly ZERO cases of it happening (unless it did to some dead unit), so I outright assumed he simply doesn't have it ON (and is too dumb to realize it).
Sorry for sounding so harsh, but he started it first, and he is yet to prove having this feature ON at all (he keeps speaking about "what should have happened", which is pure speculation).
What about YOUR playtesting - how approximately often do YOU get these Free Promos?
I admit that these rates that have been happening to me recently ARE "too good to be true" in a sense - but I literally haven't changed anything, except for updating SVN files, so it's weird.
Or maybe it's NOT weird, lol, and I simply haven't seen it at work, because in my typical game I don't hunt that much, so I could easily miss it.

When you hover over a unit, its strength is shown as 1% of actual strength.

Explain/elaborate, please.
I thought "Battlefield Promotions" is the only BUG option that turns this function ON/OFF - and @Pit2015 kept insulting me instead of confirming that he has that function ON to begin with.
In fact, his SAVE shows exactly ZERO cases of it happening (unless it did to some dead unit), so I outright assumed he simply doesn't have it ON (and is too dumb to realize it).
Sorry for sounding so harsh, but he started it first, and he is yet to prove having this feature ON at all (he keeps speaking about "what should have happened", which is pure speculation).
What about YOUR playtesting - how approximately often do YOU get these Free Promos?
I admit that these rates that have been happening to me recently ARE "too good to be true" in a sense - but I literally haven't changed anything, except for updating SVN files, so it's weird.
Or maybe it's NOT weird, lol, and I simply haven't seen it at work, because in my typical game I don't hunt that much, so I could easily miss it.
The option used to be called Dynamic XP but I think it may have been renamed if I'm remembering properly. Might be 'Less XP' now... I don't know where we landed in discussion between Toffer and I on that.

Anyhow, the point is that the math may be a little different on the likelihood of a battlefield promotion taking place between whether that option is on or not. The difficulty of the battle formula has a lot to do with the frequency of battlefield promotions taking place and that formula may differ based on the old Dynamic XP Bug Option being on or off. So also speaking, if you are getting quite a few of them, you may be willing to take on greater risk battles. I think the option also pivots on whether or not chance of withdrawal plays a role in battlefield promotion likelihood, so that can mean even safe battles where the opponent is highly likely to withdraw but doesn't or isn't allowed to for some reason (like being surrounded), can cause a battlefield promotion to be an easily obtained result. There's a lot of ways that the frequency of Battlefield promotions can vary greatly between two different player approaches and bug option settings.

The option used to be called Dynamic XP but I think it may have been renamed if I'm remembering properly. Might be 'Less XP' now... I don't know where we landed in discussion between Toffer and I on that.

Anyhow, the point is that the math may be a little different on the likelihood of a battlefield promotion taking place between whether that option is on or not. The difficulty of the battle formula has a lot to do with the frequency of battlefield promotions taking place and that formula may differ based on the old Dynamic XP Bug Option being on or off. So also speaking, if you are getting quite a few of them, you may be willing to take on greater risk battles. I think the option also pivots on whether or not chance of withdrawal plays a role in battlefield promotion likelihood, so that can mean even safe battles where the opponent is highly likely to withdraw but doesn't or isn't allowed to for some reason (like being surrounded), can cause a battlefield promotion to be an easily obtained result. There's a lot of ways that the frequency of Battlefield promotions can vary greatly between two different player approaches and bug option settings.
@Pit2015
How about you show us (screenshot) your CURRENT BUG OPTIONS (namely: "Battlefield Promotions", and "Dynamic EXP" or whatever that one is called now), eh?
It seems we have it differently, if I keep getting them so easily, while you don't get any at all - and the only potential difference between us is in BUG options.
...Or you can continue proudly spouting that "I'm cheating", since, of course, who am I to ask you to prove anything in the first place. Whatever.

@raxo2222
Not sure if you are the right modder to ask this, but once again:
Why are some buildings non-sellable, including annoying stuff like Exile Practices?
If AI builds it in their city, then I later have no way to get rid of it after capturing that city, and randomly appearing Exiles are PESTS that I utterly hate.

Sorry. I have been playing a game way too much. I do have Size Matters enabled. Here is a saved game.Take a look at X86, Y47. When you hover over over it, the Axeman's strength is 0.08, while the Hunter's is 7.5. In the grand scheme of things, it is minor. Until a couple of weeks ago, I was playing a 42.X version. I like the new version a lot but there are several minor annoyances like this that seem to be bugs and just make the game a little more difficult to play. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any. (I plead old age. I had to buy a CD-ROM for my my first computer because I bought CIV I CD-ROM version.) Would you like a list?

Cam

Attachments

• AutoSave_BC-35120.CivBeyondSwordSave
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Sorry. I have been playing a game way too much. I do have Size Matters enabled. Here is a saved game.Take a look at X86, Y47. When you hover over over it, the Axeman's strength is 0.08, while the Hunter's is 7.5. In the grand scheme of things, it is minor. Until a couple of weeks ago, I was playing a 42.X version. I like the new version a lot but there are several minor annoyances like this that seem to be bugs and just make the game a little more difficult to play. Off the top of my head, I can't remember any. (I plead old age. I had to buy a CD-ROM for my my first computer because I bought CIV I CD-ROM version.) Would you like a list?

Cam
Spoiler This Axeman? :

1674395330147.png

My question is like this:
Is my rate of getting those Free Promotions "normal" and "believable" under the currently accessible BUG options?
If YES (which I kinda don't even doubt), may I use *you* as a reference to make @Pit2015 SHUT UP, please?

My question is like this:
Is my rate of getting those Free Promotions "normal" and "believable" under the currently accessible BUG options?
If YES (which I kinda don't even doubt), may I use *you* as a reference to make @Pit2015 SHUT UP, please?
Well, I don't see how he could know whether you had a unit getting battlefield promos to that degree or not. I tend to get quite a few. Are you seriously asking if you can 'quote me'? Well... there ya go. Seemed stretching to say it was impossible to get so many because when you do get a battlefield promo, the chief benefit of it is that it doesn't add to your level but becomes a free promotion earned on the spot and the downside is that it doesn't actually get any xp towards levelling from that battle, which reduces your choices there but on the positive of that, it then also means that you're still closer to gaining a lvl by xp and then getting your chosen promotion at that time.

Well, I don't see how he could know whether you had a unit getting battlefield promos to that degree or not. I tend to get quite a few. Are you seriously asking if you can 'quote me'? Well... there ya go. Seemed stretching to say it was impossible to get so many because when you do get a battlefield promo, the chief benefit of it is that it doesn't add to your level but becomes a free promotion earned on the spot and the downside is that it doesn't actually get any xp towards levelling from that battle, which reduces your choices there but on the positive of that, it then also means that you're still closer to gaining a lvl by xp and then getting your chosen promotion at that time.
I meant that he keeps saying that "it MUST BE cheating, because HE somehow (hence MY question about options) hasn't gotten ANY in like 260 turns".
So, as we can see (and that includes @Pit2015 ), such rates are NOT CHEATING, but either based on different options, or maybe just better luck overall.
That's all I wanted you to confirm - thank you very much for that.

Don't know whom to ask, but ONCE AGAIN:
Where is the *MIGHT* (aka "+1 STR") promotion???

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 43
Oops, lol.
Should be somehow discernible from Pedia, no?
I'd have thought it was somewhere in there. As an alternative, it MIGHT be that you're looking at a problem with not having a high enough level to be able to select it. It may have a level prerequisite. But I thought I'd remembered it was only an SM promo due to its prereqs of certain quality levels. I COULD be wrong.

I'd have thought it was somewhere in there. As an alternative, it MIGHT be that you're looking at a problem with not having a high enough level to be able to select it. It may have a level prerequisite. But I thought I'd remembered it was only an SM promo due to its prereqs of certain quality levels. I COULD be wrong.
Nah, it could be the easy answer.
And I now realized that it lists Quality's as Prereqs in Pedia, which is itself a sign that it's NOT a Vanilla-TYPE promo.
I just really don't like that "this one REQUIRES this subtype" and "this one CAN BE USED BY this subtype" aren't separated enough for it to be a clear sign of "it's NOT a normal promo".
As an example, Quality is a "requires" subtype, whereas Melee is a "can be used by" subtype - because Quality only appears under a certain submod, while Melee is Vanilla stuff.
I'm simply way too used to ALWAYS having ALL of these Combat Submods ON, whereas Pit hates most of them for some (dumb) reason - so he turned them OFF in his scenario.

Nah, it could be the easy answer.
And I now realized that it lists Quality's as Prereqs in Pedia, which is itself a sign that it's NOT a Vanilla-TYPE promo.
I just really don't like that "this one REQUIRES this subtype" and "this one CAN BE USED BY this subtype" aren't separated enough for it to be a clear sign of "it's NOT a normal promo".
As an example, Quality is a "requires" subtype, whereas Melee is a "can be used by" subtype - because Quality only appears under a certain submod, while Melee is Vanilla stuff.
I'm simply way too used to ALWAYS having ALL of these Combat Submods ON, whereas Pit hates most of them for some (dumb) reason - so he turned them OFF in his scenario.
If the Might promos are not officially turned off in the XML by having an official option prerequisite declaration, then it's a prereq by proxy and wouldn't be as obvious and loud as it should be in the pedia I think. It may also be that the OnGameOption tag for promos and promolines should have a red line display that would make it stand out if you're in the game that doesn't have the option on and you look at it in the pedia.

Top Bottom