Resource icon

Sink Those Transports! 1.2

sp00n

Prince
sp00n submitted a new resource:

Sink Those Transports! - Embarked units receive a -20 combat strength modifier

This mod applies a -20 combat strength modifier to all embarked land units when defending against naval attacks. This should make it easier for battleships, submarines, etc. to actually sink defenseless land units on transports.

View attachment 460191

Note: I wasn't able to get this to work for city center attacks.

Read more about this resource...

I wish than any naval unit can insta-kill any embarked unit. If a trireme shoots an arrow to modern transport - BOOOMMM!! I mean, post-industrial embarked units explode on sunk.

Love this. Conflicts with other mods?
Not that I know of. It applies the debuff to any of these unit classes:
CLASS_RECON
CLASS_MELEE
CLASS_RANGED
CLASS_SIEGE
CLASS_HEAVY_CAVALRY
CLASS_LIGHT_CAVALRY
CLASS_RANGED_CAVALRY
CLASS_ANTI_CAVALRY
CLASS_HEAVY_CHARIOT
CLASS_LIGHT_CHARIOT
CLASS_RELIGIOUS

If a mod introduces a new unit class, and the relevant unit doesn't also have one of the other unit class above applied to it, then it wouldn't work. But I don't think this is possible right now without modifying the DLL
Currently the anti air units would be an example for such a one-class-only unit. However being support units they don't have any defense value to begin with, so the mod wouldn't affect them either way.

I wish than any naval unit can insta-kill any embarked unit. If a trireme shoots an arrow to modern transport - BOOOMMM!! I mean, post-industrial embarked units explode on sunk.
Theoretically you could incrase the value from -20 to -200 in the XML file. This should result in an insta kill for any unit.

How about removing or lowering debuff for units that have amphibious promotion?

Last edited:
How about removing or lowering debuff for units that have amphibious promotion?
Hm, I would have to edit the amphibious promotion itself for this to work (kind of, it would give a defense buff), as there I don't think there is a way to check for a specific promotion when setting up the requirements for an ability. This would make the mod incomaptible with any other mod changing the promotion, so I'm not sure I should do this. I'm also not sure it would make sense against most attack types (naval, ranged, air) - I could see some reasoning for defending against attacks from melee units located on the shore though.

sp00n updated Sink Those Transports! with a new update entry:

Religious units

I noticed that religious units (Apostels) can initiate combat against other embarked religious units even when embarked themselves. This means they gained a 20 combat strength advantage when attacking on water. I have no idea why they are able to attack on water in the first place (reciting their holy book verses against each other while on a boat, until someone gives up?), but it is what it is.

So to even this out, they now receive a -20 attacking modifier when embarked, as well as the...

Read the rest of this update entry...

With regards to your recent update, wouldn't it be easier to just remove the modifier from religious units in the first place? Only religious units can attack them (with combat strength) and I don't see any reason land units should be destroying embarked units in religious debate.

With regards to your recent update, wouldn't it be easier to just remove the modifier from religious units in the first place? Only religious units can attack them (with combat strength) and I don't see any reason land units should be destroying embarked units in religious debate.
Hm, good point. I think there's still the edge case when a religious unit on land attacks an embarked unit directly on the coast though. I'll leave it as is for the time being, but will keep an eye out.

Hm, good point. I think there's still the edge case when a religious unit on land attacks an embarked unit directly on the coast though. I'll leave it as is for the time being, but will keep an eye out.

Right, that edge case exists, but why would the embarked unit be at a disadvantage? They are having a religious debate, no?

"Debate", right. :D

I think of it that way, but even if it were a lightning fight, striking one person will kill them while striking a boat will set it on fire and kill them. I don't know who is worse off, here :lol:

I think this mod would make more sense if it were some percentage reduction instead of a flat -20 (maybe -75% strength). This would allow it to scale with the strength of the units.

I think this mod would make more sense if it were some percentage reduction instead of a flat -20 (maybe -75% strength). This would allow it to scale with the strength of the units.
Indeed, it would. Unfortunately it's not possible right now.

But flat changes in Civ6 *do* scale with the strength of the unit, because combat is calculated by differences in strengths, not ratios.

Top Bottom