Sins of Our Fathers

Razonatair

Chieftain

Sins of Our Fathers

"The physics was sound. The engineering was difficult. But the motivation was there, in ample supply. The bomb worked magnificently, with a level of destruction never before seen... And yet, despite the success of my work, I feel only remorse and responsibility. For what have I given men but the ability to destroy themselves as punishment for the sins of our fathers?" - Clive Burnwood, Project Lead of the Ozymandias Project

Sins of Our Fathers is a fun little writing project of mine that I've decided to start. Considering the vastly more simple Civilization 5 compared to Civilization 4: Realism Invictis, the workload on a turn-per-turn basis is much smaller. Previously though, I didn't feel 5 had enough depth to warrant stories being told about it, but now, with Brave New World, I feel it can work.

To put it simply, I'm playing a hotseat game where I play all 12 civilizations, and will be detailing the developments, actions, and interactions of those 12 civilizations from a number of different points of view. The only victories enabled are domination, though it is highly unlikely the story will ever have a true victorious end. Complete Kills are required to completely wipe a player, and Raging Barbarians is set to on for fun times as well.

As of this post, I've really enjoyed playing the game this way, and have enough pictures and such taken that I'm three updates into the game.

Table of Contents

Chapter 1.1: The Birth of Aralin
Chapter 1.2: Threats Close to Home
Chapter 1.3: Coming Soon

Good to see something that isn't an LP in CivV S&T again! Though, going from Realism Invictus to most games is a difficult, often downward, movement, even for the vastly improved Brave New World. ;)

Will be following.

This should be interesting.

Chapter 1.1: The Birth of Aralin

Chief Nagorn idly picked up a stone along the riverbank and cast it into the waters, watching the rock crash through the surface and send up a small splash around it. His lifetime friend and adviser, Valgre, stood next to him, speaking, "Everyone is tired, Nagorn. Tired of walking, of constantly moving. When are we going to find this perfect land, this promised land?"

The stoic, boulder-like Chief simply picked up another rock and threw it, watching it sail through the air before finally plummeting into the waters once more as he listened to Valgre continue talking, "The elder ones say that the soil here is good enough to grow food, and we can get more seeds from the forest, as well as hunt game. We can fish in the river and along the seas, and the people speak of salt rocks to the east. We should settle here, Nagorn."

The boulder continued staring off across the water before finally grunting and nodding his approval. But before Valgre could walk off to give the order, he said, "Valgre, I still want you to accompany the men further east. I have a feeling there is something else out in those lands." The lieutenant paused just long enough to reply, "Understood," before continuing his walk back to camp.

Valgre quickly returned to their people and gathered them together to declare, "Chief Nagorn has told me that we have finally arrived at the land where our children shall flourish. You can all rest easy a bit and prepare to lay down permanent roots. To the farmers, you can start preparing your fields to plant." The crowd of people sighed in relief almost in unison, having travelled across the lands for countless years as nomads. Valgre received many hugs as thanks as he passed through the people towards the waiting band of men.

It took him a few minutes, but he finally arrived, "The Chief says we don't get any rest. We're to scout further east." Many of the men in the group expressed their annoyance with grunts and grumbles as one of them asked, "Seriously? What's so important we have to keep searching while everyone else relaxes?" Valgre shrugged, "He wouldn't say. Gather some supplies and let's go."

They had walked a few days before stopping to take break and eat a few bites, when Valgre noticed something as he scanned the horizon. It jutted out of the ground like a red fist. He turned his head to the group, "Falre, come here, tell me if you know what this is." The man came as ordered and looked as Valgre pointed, "No idea."

The lieutenant considered the rock for a moment, wondering if this was what Nagorn had anticipated they might find. Finally, he told Falre, "Gather the men together when they're rested, we're moving towards it."

It took them another day to finally reach the enormous red rock. When they had finally reached its base, Valgre could only stare up at its height and be awed. The group shortly decided to name the formation "The Red Fist," but Valgre investigated it more closely, discovering a cave filled with ancient paintings on the wall. He traced them gently with his hands, once more awed by the figures of men, beasts, and something else. One painting near the entrance showed the Red Fist, the waters and lakes to the north, but a drawing of what seemed to be tents and people to the Fist's southwest.

While it was entirely possible Valgre was misinterpreting the image, he decided they might as well take a look as he emerged from the cave to command the men to begin traveling towards the southwest.

Unfortunately, after more days of travel and searching, they found only stone ruins instead of people. Valgre judged that perhaps a few hundred people had lived here as he passed between the piles of stone that once marked homes. Eventually he ended up at what he guessed was the center of the settlement, as the stone remnants were constructed around it, leaving a central stretch of open ground. The man turned around slowly, taking in the the sights, wondering what happened to the people, when he suddenly bumped into something.

He quickly regained his balance and turned around to discover a medium-sized pot. As he rubbed his chin wondering what it was, Falre walked up next to him, "Odd. They have a few of these lying about, mostly pieces, but these are larger..." Falre tapped the pot with his foot, causing the contents to clatter about inside, "Something in it too."

Valgre took that to mean they should see what it was, so he grabbed the pot gently and turned it onto its side, sending dozens of small pieces of other broken pots scattering onto the ground, "Odd. Pieces of itself, in itself. Why would they store them together like this." Falre shrugged, "Counting people maybe."

The lieutenant picked up a few shards, examining them, "There are marks on these pieces. Two different kinds of marks. I think you're right, but I think they were counting choices." Falre seemed confused as he asked, "Choices of what?"

"Maybe anything. Chiefs, what to do, whatever choice had to be made I guess..." Valgre considered that process for a moment. It made sense, including the people in the decision-making process, unlike what they had now, with Chief Nagorn deciding everything. A lot of the people were upset with him having constantly moved the tribe forward, "Falre, get the men together. We're taking a few of these things and their pieces back with us to the others."

The group had to travel many more days to return to camp, but when they finally arrived, Valgre breathed a sigh of relief to see the farmers had prepared some of the land for planting, and to see that the tents were still in place. Strangely, no one was in the fields. As they approached the settlement, the men could hear some kind of commotion in the center, causing Valgre to order them to pick up the pace so they could find out what was wrong.

Valgre himself rushed ahead, finally finding a crowd in the center of town. He quickly forced his way through them, though most quickly moved out of the way when they saw who he was. In the center, he found some of the elders talking amongst themselves as he demanded, "What is it? What's wrong?" One of the elders turned to him, saying simply, "Nagorn died of disease. No successor was given."

The lieutenant stood there a few minutes, stunned, until Falre jostled his way through the crowd and asked Valgre what was happening, to which he replied, "Nagorn died. We don't have a successor, which could mean a power struggle." Falre stood next to Valgre, whispering, "But we brought those things back. To choose. Right?"

The man couldn't believe he'd forgotten about the pots, but now it made some sense. Perhaps Nagorn knew he was dying, and someone knew Valgre would find the solution to the tribe's problem. He instructed Falre to bring the men here, with the pots, while he told the people of how they would pick their next leader. Once they understood, his men brought the pots forward, placing one each in front of the contenders; Valgre, a warrior named Grahl, and a farmer named Devre. The men and women received one shard each, to place in the pot of the man they wanted to lead.

Valgre knelt in front of Nagorn's grave and grabbed a handful of soil, letting it run between his fingers as he wondered aloud, "Did you know you'd die, Nagorn? How could someone foresee something like that? And to foresee me finding the answer to your death, the means by which our tribe could go on. Would you have approved of my method, Nagorn? Voting to decide leaders, courses of action... I guess it doesn't matter. Our people, the Aralin people, have flourished. The crops grow well, the rains aren't too bad, the fish are delicious... Part of me wishes you were alive, but the other part... The other part is glad you died. I'm sorry to say that, Nagorn, but the truth is, I've been the better leader..."

A hand came to rest on Valgre's shoulder as Falre said, "Chosen, we need you back in the city. There's been a discovery to the north." The Chosen nodded and stood, "Let's go, Falre."

Great start. :goodjob:

Excellent start to what promises to be a great story!

Very well written, but I'd like to be able to see a little more of the map. Its kind of difficult to tell where things are.

The general idea is that it more shows what the characters see, and focused the attention. It also removes UI clutter. I also like to keep the images smaller for forum viewing reasons. Larger images such as overviews during warfare or domestic reviews/policies or something like that is possible, or chapters built entirely around showing what everything looks like are possible as well.

Chapter 1.2: Threats Close to Home

Chosen Valgre quickly returned to Aralin with Falre, passing through the burgeoning city along the way. Years of peace and growth had bolstered their numbers, and Valgre couldn't help but admire its progress. So long as Aralin flourished, Valgre was happy. But his thoughts of peace were interrupted as the pair finally left the city and reached the north, linking up with a group of sentries. One of the sentries, named Grahl, came forward, "We found a pack of men scratching about. They're not of Aralin, instead they say they're from 'Zhouzi'."

The Chosen nodded and thanked Grahl as he continued walking towards the new men who had clustered together a few yards from the Aralinians. They wielded the same weapons that Aralin could make, clubs, stone daggers, simple things, but they seemed more weathered as Valgre approached, "What are you men doing here?"

Apparently they spoke an extremely similar language as one of the scouts replied in a rough accent that Valgre interpreted, "We're just scouting for our people, the Zhouzi. Not looking for any trouble. We'll move along if you let us go." Valgre considered their words for a few minutes before saying, "Very well. But do not return to our city. If your people wish to talk, bring your leader." With that, he turned about as they began packing up. Valgre walked straight to Grahl and whispered, "Go and find our other men, I want you to lead them wherever you think those Zhouzi came from. Find their city and report back to me, I want to know where this threat is."

Grahl nodded, "Understood, Chosen. I'll find them, don't worry about that." As the group returned to Aralin, the warrior broke off and sought out Aralin's other warriors, assembling them to search the plains and hills to the east and north, where Grahl guessed the Zhouzi hailed from.

The men searched for Grahl for months, with the monotony broken only by the discovery of forgotten yet more advanced weapons left in some ruins by people long dead that his men decided to take, and one day in which Grahl was alerted by a sentry who brought him to top of a hill they'd made camp on, "What is it, Sander?"

Sander pointed over a meadow at figures moving in some of the sandier terrain that was far east of Aralin, "I spotted some unknown men. Thought you might want to investigate." Grahl slapped the shorter man's shoulder, "Great work. Let's rouse the men and run those other people down, find out who they are." Together, they ran down the hill as Grahl bellowed orders that got the Aralinians moving, quickly disassembling camp and grabbing their shields and spears.

Ten minutes later, the warriors had run down the unknown men, with Grahl yelling, "Who are you and where are you from?!" The other men, armed with far less less, remained on their knees in submission as their leader spoke, "Shayed. We come from east." Grahl strode over to the leader and pointed his spear at the man's head, "You hear of the Zhouzi? You know where their city is?" The other man thought for a few seconds and then quickly nodded his head, "Yes, yes, north. Many people." He pointed deeper into the sands they had apparently came from.

Grahl withdrew his spear and motioned for the men to move on as their group started walking north. Sander came up next to him, "Are we sure we can trust them, Grahl?" The beast of a man simply shrugged, "Don't have to. If we don't find Zhouzi, we find this Shayed instead. Valgre will already be happy with this new information. Now, we need to focus on moving north quickly."

They marched for another month before finally discovering their objective, Zhouzi. The men laid on top of a dune and looked at it on the horizon as Sander said, "The Shayed were right. North, like they said. And it does look very large, maybe twice Aralin's size..." Grahl grumbled at that, "That's bad. If they're bigger than us, they're stronger too... We've got to get back to Aralin, warn Valgre." He got to his feet and quickly started marching towards the west, figuring they'd scout some more land on the way back, as the rest of the men quickly got off their stomachs to follow.

Very interesting concept to write this playing as all players in hotseat. It certainly gives you more control and lets you take the story where you want. I'm enjoying the read so far and I really like the combination of the narrative and dialogue and how those are the focus as much as, if not more than, the game events.

Are you planning to focus the writing from just the perspective of the Aralin people or will you branch out to the others in future chapters?

In either case, looking forward to reading more!

It will be written from any perspective I find interesting. I'm probably going to jump ahead to some more interesting times though since the early game can be a bit grueling.

This. Is. Cool.

Top Bottom