Sipahi, Whats the point?

Doctor Doom

Warlord
I recently started a domination game as Suleiman, fairly standard chariot archer rushed darius. Took Rome with frigates. I realised something what's the point to sipahi I normally go down commerce and just upgrade landsknecht to lancers which are just as good if not better. You would think they could give the Ottomans a new UU maybe an organ gun that would be pretty nice. :D

Sorry for complaining about the ottoman's uniques but they're one of my favorite civs (being Turkish in nationality) and its sad to see them get the short end of the stick but maybe not as bad as Denmark :lol:

Sipah got extra move, extra sight, no cost to pillage. Not the sexiest unit but not that bad.

If you wanna talk bad lancer replacement, Hakkapeliittas. They have nothing, nothing and more thing. Yeah, they got another +15% if they are stacked with a general (that also got the same move as the Hakkas). That unit is bad and also impossible for the AI to understand. I have not yet seen a AI Hakka with a general on it.

Sipah got extra move, extra sight, no cost to pillage. Not the sexiest unit but not that bad.

If you wanna talk bad lancer replacement, Hakkapeliittas. They have nothing, nothing and more thing. Yeah, they got another +15% if they are stacked with a general (that also got the same move as the Hakkas). That unit is bad and also impossible for the AI to understand. I have not yet seen a AI Hakka with a general on it.

Well the hakka is not the best it does give your great general almost movement of a khan which is kind of nice if you're fighting multiple fronts.

Also does the tenet lightning warfare effect khan's?

Well the hakka is not the best it does give your great general almost movement of a khan which is kind of nice if you're fighting multiple fronts.

Also does the tenet lightning warfare effect khan's?

When I play Sweden, yes sure I do have a couple of generals on them but the AI doesn't seem to grasp that.

Lightning Warfare, good question. Also what happen to a GG stacked on a Helicopter that has been upgraded from a Hakka with Lightning Warfare?

They are terrific, only downside is that they are Lancers (core). Why not make them cavalry replacement in future patch(es)?

Maybe even change that Janissary doesn't become so obsolete quickly. Maybe give them "free" era like they did with Samurai, and wait for them to upgrade from muskets to GWI, skipping Rifles? They are pretty strong, they can survive against other civ's Rifles.

Not everyone has the policies to spare for Commerce. The lancer-schneckt is decent but the ottomans can do better without it.

As to the use, they could simply be a harassment unit. Book it through your opponent's territory, stealing and deleting every worker you can grab. Pillage everything on the way: they'll never kill your Sipahi when it heals to full every turn, and they'll never recover fully if the pillaging is that complete.

You'll put them a solid number of turns behind as their citizens struggle simply to find food tiles, while they need to either rush-buy Workers or even worse, hard-build a few. Then they have to wait a while for any improved tile.

All the bonuses of Sipahi synergizes very well. Can you imagine what a 5 move no cost to pillage unit can do?

Not everyone has the policies to spare for Commerce. The lancer-schneckt is decent but the ottomans can do better without it.

As to the use, they could simply be a harassment unit. Book it through your opponent's territory, stealing and deleting every worker you can grab. Pillage everything on the way: they'll never kill your Sipahi when it heals to full every turn, and they'll never recover fully if the pillaging is that complete.

You'll put them a solid number of turns behind as their citizens struggle simply to find food tiles, while they need to either rush-buy Workers or even worse, hard-build a few. Then they have to wait a while for any improved tile.

The new cheap landsneckt purchase from the commerce social policy will get your military a lot bigger than it already is. Landsneckts can move 4 tiles and they're purchased cheap which can add up to all the junk troops that cover your opponent's lands.

The Sipahi is a big step up from a lancer, though that is a low base. Yes, it's comparable to an upgraded LandS but you have to take commerce, have to gold buy the units not build them, and don't have the same time to upgrade your early units; a sipahi could be your starting warrior with march and/or blitz by the time it gets upgraded.

If you literally take commerce every single game then maybe Ottomans aren't the right civ for you? Maybe Askia? Haven't tried them in BNW yet, but seems to remain aggressive and gold focused. Or if you loved the Janissary then Aztec Jaguars are pretty spectacular too. For wars and gold, another obvious recommendation is China.

Since warmonger penalty is rather heavy, the Sipahi is only great for irritating your enemies while still keeping them alive. It also reflects the nature of the Ottomans rather well, because they did do a lot of raids into neighbouring territory where there was high resistance.

The Sipahi are a pretty good unit in enemy territory, especially if the enemy has large cultural borders around their cities. You can attack and heal up almost to full strength again on the same turn. And the extra sight can keep them out of traps. The lancers' basic weakness is quite compensated for in the Sipahi. It's the second best Lancer replacement after the Winged Hussars.

I build winged hussars just because they look like something out of Might and Magic

Winged hussars wear a similar hat that sitting bull used to wear in civilization 4 bts.

When I play Sweden, yes sure I do have a couple of generals on them but the AI doesn't seem to grasp that.

Lightning Warfare, good question. Also what happen to a GG stacked on a Helicopter that has been upgraded from a Hakka with Lightning Warfare?

Helicopter from Hakka means you get a 6 move GG. Which is nice and fun. The problem is the Anti-Tank makes that special bonus useless because only 2 moves.

Top Bottom