Situation concerning overall cultural victories

JonathanValjean

Porschephile
It has been my understanding since I started playing Civ 3 about 4 months ago that a cultural victory (overall) is triggered if you accrue 100K cultural points. I have won in this way several times, as well as by accumulating 20K cultural points in one city.
Well, during recent games, I have accumulated 100K cultural points, yet I was not declared the winner. I know the obvious question would be if I enabled the cultural victory condition, and the answer is yes.

The first time this happened (the non-triggering of the cultural victory), I was on a large map, so I thought that the explanation might have been that you had to accrue more cultural points than 100K, say 120K on said map. However, in my last game, I played on a standard map, and I ended up accumulating 115K cultural points by game's end, but no cultural victory was triggered. Is this a known bug? Has this happened to anyone else? Any explanations or even educated guesses are appreciated.

You must have double the culture of the next civ.

Thanks to you both for clarifying that. It makes sense to me, in retrospect, for in both games, the Babylonians were one of my opponents. The Babs, with their cultural proclivity, are quite hard to double. The next time I have them in a game, I will see to it that they are crippled (or destroyed), either by me, or by a coalition led by me.

This is something I didn't understand either.

Just until I discovered this forum :lol:

I will see to it that they are crippled (or destroyed), either by me, or by a coalition led by me.

I think you've been watching the State of the Union address too much, JV. :lol:

I think the key to a cultural victory over the Babs is an early crippling, as they are quickly able to bring those temples/libraries online and therefore benefit greatly from the 'double' culture thing.

Top Bottom