1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Six Corners

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Map Scripts' started by mapmakingnoob, May 8, 2011.

1. mapmakingnoob

mapmakingnoob Chieftain

I didn't think Civ 5 had a good team map like the four corners in Civ 4 so I decided to make an attempt at making one myself with working team placements. I decided to block off the corners to turn the map into a hexagon to suit the tile shape in civ 5 and then divided it with water or mountains to make six segments.

I tried to make it balanced but I didn't do a good job of it and there are probably lots of other problems with the script. If there is an interest in the idea I may try to improve it based on suggestions.

The main point of making this map was to have a team setting that worked like it did in civ4 so the script places teams together in the segments no matter how many segments are left empty 6 teams of 3 will have a team in each segment but 2 teams of 9 will have 4 empty segments and 9 players in 2 segments. If you play without teams it places an even number of players in each segment there should never be a segment with 2 teams more than any other segment when there are no teams. City states are placed with the defulat code so they aren't balanced in anyway that's one of the things I might change if there is any interest.

along with the standard options I added some other options

Buffer zones
    Mountains segments are divided by mountains
    Ocean Segments are divided by water
    50/50 Some segments are divided by water and others by mountains

Centre size
    none with this option selcted there is no land bridge in the middle
    3-5 this is the number of tiles of land in the centre

an interesting game is mountain buffer zones with no centre it makes war very difficult but not imposible as there is no passive land between the segments

Climate
    Centre polar edges tropical the centre of the map is artic with it getting warmer farther from the centre
    Centre tropical edges polar the centre is tropical with it gettign colder farther from the centre

Attached Files:

2. ColBashar

ColBashar Chieftain

Interesting map. I like the idea, with the central polar climate, of being forced to trudge your armies through wasteland tiles in order to actually get somewhere worth attacking. And even if you do manage to nab some cities in a foreign segment, they can be cut off from your main body if somebody captures the central no-man's-land. I also appreciate that you made a map that changed, for obvious reasons, the dimensional ratio.

You might consider an option to allow openings in the mountain partitions at the end of the spokes, as well or in lieu of the center. Also, I suspect players keen on this sort of map would be interested in having each segment identical to the next, especially since it sounds like you designed this for multiplayer. You could write a function that would copy the data from one segment and use it to overwrite the others. Just a suggestion.

3. Nefliqus

Nefliqus Prince

Nice map, could i make mirror of this map?

4. mapmakingnoob

mapmakingnoob Chieftain

make whatever you want most of the code is stolen from the game scripts anyway

5. dragonmage119

dragonmage119 Chieftain

Do you know a way to separate the center-outer terrains into separate menus and add ocean/desert/other to the mix? I tried messing with it on my own with my best guesses but it seems to dislike the edits i made and refuses to show up. :/

6. mapmakingnoob

mapmakingnoob Chieftain

that would have to be done seperately the egdes are done at the start before any terrain is defined but the built in terrain randomizer will change it if you set it to desert so you would have to do it at the end probably easiest to create a new function at the end of StartPlotSystem() copy the code that generates the centre and edges and change what you need to change

7. dragonmage119

dragonmage119 Chieftain

ok thanks ill try that

8. mapmakingnoob

mapmakingnoob Chieftain

I added in the option for gaps at the outer edge aswell as the balancing. I'm not sure how well that works yet I know the start locations aren't exactly the same and the city states are still random. the placements conflict with the team code so its just a matter of deciding how to go about doing it without disturbing the team placement.

Attached Files: