1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sixth grades girls in Texas to be forced to get vaccine against STD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/02/D8N1PVG80.html

Bolding mine. Italics = my comments.

You can bet if I had a daughter she wouldn't be getting the shots! At least people can still opt out for philosophical and religious reasons. I wonder if they have to write an essay.

2. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

We had this already, and the article isn't insinuating what you think it is, scaremonger.

3. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Oh, I didn't see it. Ok then.

It isn't?

4. Erik Mesoy

Erik Mesoy Core Tester / Intern

Here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=205197

There are multiple papillomaviruses, so "vaccinated against the HPV that causes cervical cancer" is a specification that the vaccine isn't against all viruses of this class. It says right on the next line that it's responsible for "most" cases of cervical cancer anyway. (more than 90% by Wiki.)

I agree with what was said in the last thread - if it's to be mandatory, it should be made generic and the companies forced to compete on price, because a company being able to push its own drugs into law is a very nasty situation

5. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

As Eirk has posted, there was a thread about this, but it was only a maybe law. this is a real life person. I also posted a few somewhat long (long for OT post anyways) comments in that post. but in short my post in the other thread was

In the US basic free public schooling is a right. As a overriding health issue, some vaccines must be giving to students in public school being that all kids must attend some form of school (for most it is public school, unless you have money).

There is no risk health risk of HPV transmission in the classroom environment. unlike ever other vaccine students must take due to the very real risk of transmission in the classroom environment.

So there is no legal reason for schools to mandate this for reasons of attends to public school

In all honesty lets cut to the real reason kids are being forced to get a HPV shot.

1.this HPV shot will save many life's 2.it will also save money for the tax paying public in terms of medical cost. 3. Kids get so many vaccines to be admitted to public school, one more shot that would save live's and cut cost of medical aid, most people would not raise many objections.

This is were i have a problem. The government is withholding a right of the people to basic education in such a way to enforce a policy on the public that would be unenforceable any other way. keep in mind no other vaccines giving to a child to attend public school is for an illness that (at least at some time) was a danger to any other person in the classroom environment. Also keep in mind kids that go to private or are home schooled(rich) are not forced to get a HPV shot.

6. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

A quick look on wiki shows that 10,000 women per year are diagnosed with cervical cancer, over 90% of cases are due to HPV and 4,000 women per year die of it.

Obvious infrerence: this would save 3,600+ lives per year. How's that healthy cynicism going?

7. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

I think is a great idea.

What's so wrong about forcing people to become a little more safe? (certainly not increase sexual contact)

8. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

Good for Texas! Hopefully it'll help shake off the negative stereotypes about the people of the state not being smart or rednecks or whatever.

Apologies to anyone who would prefer their children die of cancer than have sex.

9. Keshik

Keshik TJ's Daddy

All those are in Texas?

10. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

No, those figures were for the USA as a whole IIRC.

11. Neonanocyborgasm

Neonanocyborgasm Deity

You better believe that Merck's doing this before its competitor can get its version of the vaccine out! ;)

12. Quiet Sound

Quiet Sound - This title left blank -

Hey Narz, what are you vaccinated against? Do you even know without looking it up?

13. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Oh the horrors! People are being forced to be vaccinated against thier wills, so they dont get diseases! :lol:

14. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

You would condem your daughter to cervical cancer?

Not very fartherly.

15. Left

Left Real Game Out Here

Giant corporations and sleazy politicians come together to...

Provide us with cancer vaccines?

Sure it sounds kind of scummy but I don't think the end result is all that bad, do you?

16. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Don't see anything wrong with this at all.

What age is 6th grade? We don't all live in the USA.

17. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

6th grade if i can remember correctly is about 11-12 years old.

18. StarWorms

StarWorms Deity

Thanks, just noticed it said in the article though:lol:

11-12 is a good age for STD vaccinations. Not too early (if there is a too early) and not too late either.

19. Keshik

Keshik TJ's Daddy

Is it too much to ask for girls not to have sex with diseased partners?

I think the Texas government is going Big Brother on this one. I guess I'll buy some Merck stock, though.

20. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

We have a cervical cancer vaccine?

And I smell payoff from drug companies.