1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Sixth grades girls in Texas to be forced to get vaccine against STD

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Narz, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Great, Governor Good Hair is giving my tax money to Merck. If someone wants to shot, let them pay for it. At $360 per shot cycle, I'm sure it will have to be subsidized.

2. Tycoon101

Tycoon101 Loves being STRONG

Absolutely against this. Business should stay out of government affairs, and vice versa. I also doubt that the vaccinations would make a significant impact upon cervical cancer instances.

3. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

"Business should stay out of government affairs, and vice versa" WTF has this got to do with biz? Gov not forcing anything on biz.

"I also doubt that the vaccinations would make a significant impact upon cervical cancer instances" So do you have any evidence. Why are all the doctors, the licencing agencies and all the gov medical advisors wrong this will reduce cervical cancer by 90%?

Link please.

4. Tycoon101

Tycoon101 Loves being STRONG

I got the impression that people would be paying for the mandatory vaccinations. If I am wrong about a business being involved, then I am sorry.

I said "I also doubt". I did not claim some overwhelming knowledge. I just said that I doubt the number of overall instances of reported cervical cancer will decrease to such a great extent that the vaccinations become integral to society.

5. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Well if you vaccinate against a disease that causes 90% of cervical cancers, what do you suggest the result will be?

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

Merck is using the government to force its product upon consumers. Governor Good Hair Perry is pretending to do it for Conservative reasons, but he is basically doing a corporate donor a big favor - forcing most of the girls in the state (or the taxpayers on their behalf) to pony up $$$ for a shot that should be optional.

7. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I haven't had a vaccine since becoming independent of my parents.

Bunch of links about potential harms of vaccines here.

Not really, there is no proof that the vaccine works, and not all cervical cancer cases are caused by the virus. I would encourage my daughter to choose sexual partners that weren't disease ridden.

How do you know it then?

You have a lot of faith in the drug companies.

I would refuse anyway.

8. GinandTonic

Why would you?

9. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Check the link I posted above.

If you don't like my source(s) here's some real world experience of mine :

In 2000-2002 I had a cat I loved very much. His name was lil' Bastard, when he grew up he became known as Big Bastard. Despite his somewhat derogatory name he was a wonderful cat on whom I lavished much affection, one of my favorites ever.

Because I loved him I made sure he got all his shots (and booster shots) despite the fact that it cost me hundreds of dollars over his lifetime. The vaccines against Feline Leukemia and Feline AIDS (FIV) were among them.

Because I was cheap I bought him the cheapest food possible from Costco thinking there wasn't much difference in cat foods.

Long story short, he was quite a fighter. He often got into fights with neighborhood strays. In the end, despite his shots he contracted BOTH Feline Leukemia and FIV. He ultimately died of a lung infection (about which I feel quite guility since I let all my friends smoke in my apartment during his life) but I'm sure the diseases weakened him. Overall I paid the vet over $1,000 (including a shot to have him put to sleep, very sad :().

Part II : I have cats now. Two of them. Born in my van in Spring 2006. They've never had any shots except a mandatory rabies shot when I got them fixed. They're the healthiest cats I've ever had and I wouldn't bring them to the vet unless absolutely necessary. I let them out when they want to go out. They've lived in areas (Miami for one) with very high stray cat population and have never gotten sick. I feed them well (raw organic meat & bones mostly, organic wet food sometimes) and never give them commercial food. They're doing well.

Other personal experience : People who get the flu shot STILL get the flu. I've never got a flu shot and never gotten the flu. Neither has my GF. In fact I don't think I've known anyone (personally) who's gotten the flu except those who had gotten the shot (and worried alot about crap like that).

Not saying my immune system will protect me from ANYTHING. I don't plan to test myself but exposing myself delibrately to pathogens but I'm also not too worried and certainly am not going to delibrately inject myself with viruses to be "safe".

My experience : vaccines don't work. Fact : vaccines have side effects, especially for young children. My opinion : not worth the risk.

10. Xanikk999

Xanikk999 History junkie

Yeah, avoiding a potentially fatal disease is not worth the ever so slight risk of a allergic reaction. :rolleyes:

11. GinandTonic

Narz, with the greatest of respect your stories are anecdotes. My Aunt is a vet, specifically a vet working for Pfetzer. Her phd was on cats. She knows an awful lot about cats and drugs. Her cats have had their jabs.

Im looking after her cats and it scares the pants off me.

From your link

Who else should be researching the pros and cons? This isnt a company, these are the experts. This is loony anti-science at its puerist.

12. Gogf

Gogf Indescribable

I wonder if the people whining about vaccines would have said the same thing when we were trying to eradicate small pox.

13. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

Any source that claims that vaccines cause autism can instantly be discredited.

14. Norlamand

Norlamand Procrastinator Rex

Oh yeah! Don't let that 90% drop in infant mortality since 1900 fool you.......... Hell, I know dozens of people that have died of measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, diptheria, polio, etc. Kids in our neighborhood drop dead from the stuff all the time...............:rolleyes:

15. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I haven't read the whole site. I can't be held accountable for all the information (and links) therein. However, I won't vaccinate my children (when I have them) or my pets and I've known plenty of others who haven't vaccinated or had their family members vaccinated.

Coorelation doesn't imply causality. Alot has happened since 1900. People who don't get the vaccines aren't dropping dead of those diseases anymore either.

Vaccines can contribute to autism.

16. Pontiuth Pilate

Pontiuth Pilate Republican Jesus!

Is it under 500 words? I didn't check. Oh well.

ZOMG U HEV SINGEL-HANDEDLY PROOFED TEH MEDICAL ESTABLIZMENT WRONGZ.

Your ability to distinguish a personal anecdote from a rigorous double-blind clinical test ASTOUNDS ME GOOD SIR!

Dude, Narz's link even has a little conspiracy article about chemtrails!

Holy horrifically-embarrassing-foot-in-mouth-moment, Batman! :mischief: Just what is your deal, man? I'm starting to think you have a specific mental derangement where you become medically incapable of telling the difference between a real and valuable source and what is Teh Conspriazy Thories on The Internets. Or maybe you just don't care?

Perpetual motion, OH NOES mind control even frigging dowsing!

You "can't be held responsible" for checking to make sure that your source on vaccines and autism isn't also obsessed with medieval magic? Jesus tapdancing Christ.

I'd laugh hysterically if my brain didn't hurt so much in empathy with the pwning the world's average IQ is taking.

Moderator Action: 4 posts merged. Pontiuth Pilate: use the Edit-button instead of making 4 posts in a row in 10 minutes - Rik

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You don't address the potential side effects of vaccines.

Also, according to wiki, "although most of the HPV infections clear up on their own" and it says "the infections could increase to major abnormalities or cervical cancer" (could doesn't mean does).

I delibrately posted the first anti-vaccine site I could find because I know you derive your online self-esteem from knocking down such sites and I felt like giving you a ripe opportunity (knowing you wouldn't be able to resist). I hope you enjoyed yourself. :)

I will not get sick from refusing vaccines but others, who are truly afraid and/or don't believe their immune systems are strong enough should do what they have to do. The power of suggestion is a powerful thing and if you don't have my beliefs and my personal experience you shouldn't try to behave as me and expect to duplicate my results.

18. Pontiuth Pilate

Ah yes, you deliberately post stupid sources only because you know I love pointing them out. That's it, you're only humoring me.

:lol: Oh, Narz.

HPV causes 90% of cervical cancer diagnoses. Facts defeat disingenuous semantics every time (though you seem to have trouble realizing this).

The odds would favor me winning a bet that you have HPV right now, especially if you've had multiple sex partners. If you stop a woman you know from getting the vaccine, you are upping her chance of getting cervical cancer, plain and simple. In addition, everyone who doesn't get the inoculation is a potential reservoir for the virus which enables it to fester and still endanger the population. Only when vaccines are mandated and cheap/subsidized (polio, etc.) is there effective prevention.

You can gloat about your "superior immune system" and how it has kept you from getting sick, but the reality is that you are freeloading off the inoculation of the general population while simultaneously endangering those around you as outlined above. Have you not got your polio & meningitis shots recently as well? I would encourage everyone in your life to stay the **** away from you.

Concern for the health of their sex partners is what separates responsible men from irresponsible men.

19. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Yup. I could have found a better source if I wanted to. Someone linked me to a pretty legit looking one a couple years ago but it was on my old computer and therefore not bookmarked on this one.

Anyway the burden of proof is on you to prove the HPV vaccine works. Why don't you dig up some stats on it's effectiveness?

Edit : So I'm irresponsible now? If 90% of people have HPV already why doesn't EVERYONE get the wonderful vaccine and thereby eliminate this disease? And if 90% of people already have it then chances are my S.O. already does so why exactally should she stay away from me? Not to mention she doesn't believe in vaccines either.

Carry on getting personal now. Have a blast.

20. Pontiuth Pilate

Well, let's see. Assuming your age is around 30, you've spent by your own admission 12 years without getting any boosters. That means that you could become a reservoir and infection point for hepatitis B and influenza.

You're DEFINITELY frigging irresponsible.

Remember, it only took one stowaway rat to spread the plague from Caffa to Messina.

In this situation, you are occupying a rung on the moral ladder somewhat lower than the rat. After all, the rat can at least plead that its reckless endangerment of the entire European population was not conscious and deliberate. You however have no excuse.

Yes, precisely! Wait, were you NOT trying to make my point? :lol: